Mangosteen, cherimoya, soursop, sugar apple

Caz

May 15, 2004
Does anyone know where in the greater Puerto Plata - Sabaneta area I can buy fruit like these to try? I have looked for a long time but I only see the usual pineapple, mango etc. Occasionally I have found guavas and dragon fruit, and have tried wax jambu and a large red fruit described as a Dominican pear. I would love to try some of the others. There is also an oval fruit with a rough brown skin in Playero - how do you tell when it is ripe?

Thanks
Caz

?

? bient?t

Does anyone know where in the greater Puerto Plata - Sabaneta area I can buy fruit like these to try? I have looked for a long time but I only see the usual pineapple, mango etc. Occasionally I have found guavas and dragon fruit, and have tried wax jambu and a large red fruit described as a Dominican pear. I would love to try some of the others. There is also an oval fruit with a rough brown skin in Playero - how do you tell when it is ripe?

Thanks
Caz

A very good fruit to try is n?spero, my favorite.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks Lambada - next time I'm in Playero I'll be squeezing gently - after checking to be sure JR is not around!!

A bientot - what does nispero look like please?

?

? bient?t

Thanks Lambada - next time I'm in Playero I'll be squeezing gently - after checking to be sure JR is not around!!

A bientot - what does nispero look like please?

I think there are various types of n?speros, but the type I'm familiar with, look like kiwifruit.

Last month I was hanging out with family members, all Dominicans, and we rated our favorite fruits: n?spero was the overall champ, with 6 out of 10 first-place votes.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Caz, google search Yahoo images - lots of pics there. Also, keep your ears open, you often hear street vendors selling them from their wheelbarrows or carts. They say the word twice & it sounds a bit like kneepero with the emphasis on the knee (JR don't even go there :cheeky:).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Soursop is guan?bana, fairly easy to find though not as common as pi?a, lechoza, etc.

I haven't actually seen a cherimoya/chirimoya in the DR, they grow mainly in South America and in the Mediterranean.

Sugar apple might be what Dominicans call an?n.
In Latin America regional names include an?n, an?n de azucar, anona blanca, fruta do conde, cachiman, saramuyo, and many others.
Sugar-apple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fruit called n?spero in Spain is loquat, not the same as its namesake in the DR which is sapodilla.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapodilla

cougar

Jan 27, 2009
in columbia chirimoya is a very bad word.. lol and somebody here uses it for their name lol

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks everyone - guanabana, nispero, anon, sapodilla - I'll hunt them down!

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Zapote is called Mamey in the US, heres a run down on Zapote / sapote

Black Sapote / Zapote Negra / Sapote Chocolate ( Diospyros digyna)

black-sapote.jpg

You can get these at "Superplants" Autopista Duarte in Villa Altagracia area, I have one growing in a pot, supposedly you can blend it up with some honey and make a "chocolate shake"

pudding.jpg

This link to a clip of someone showing a Black Sapote on youtube.
YouTube - Black Sapote in Mexico

Green Sapote (Pouteria viridis )
greensapote-lg.jpg

Mamey ( Pouteria sapota )
mamey-lg.jpg

This is the one thats common here in the D.R. and known simply as Zapote.

Ross Sapote, ( Pouteria sp )
Ross-Sapote.jpg

Seen these in Florida, but not in the D.R. pretty sure they could grow here also.

White Sapote (Casimiroa edulis )
0174.jpg

again another variety I have seen in Fla. but not in the D.R.

Sapodilla, Nispero, (Manilkara zapota, Achras sapota )
P5255447.jpg

P3042582.jpg

These are the famouse Nispero, that everyone here seems to love, but nobody seems to plant. I had a big tree in my back yard in Hollywood Fla, Hurricane Wilma almost finished it off, but it is growing back now.

Sorry if all the pictures slow your browsing, but I felt a picture is worth a thousand words, and it can help prevent confusion as to what fruit we are talking about.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Great pics tropicdude. It's funny cause I grew up in The DR and you always heard about Nispero and Caimito and you'd never seem to find them anywhere. Believe it or not this is the first time I see what a Nispero looks like. Zapote (Mamey) is my favorite when it comes to smoothies

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Nispero season?

Great pics tropicdude. It's funny cause I grew up in The DR and you always heard about Nispero and Caimito and you'd never seem to find them anywhere. Believe it or not this is the first time I see what a Nispero looks like. Zapote (Mamey) is my favorite when it comes to smoothies

If there's a 'season' for nispero, it must be March, because when we were there this past March it seemed everyone and their brother was selling them at traffic lights on 27 de Febrero. My husband bought a lot of them and was in heaven. A lot of Dominican cherries around at the same time.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Thanks everyone and especially Tropicdude for the pics - very helpful to know what you should be looking out for. Does anyone know the name of the very small green round fruit on the end of a long whippy stalk that is sold in bunches like bouquets - it has a shell and large seed?

sarge

Dec 15, 2008
limonicillos are delicious, especially if you like tangy fruit. but beware, they leave awful stains on your clothing that don't come out