Obtaining Plates for Motorcycle

LarryH

Jun 27, 2009
Hello,
I brought in a motorcycle from the US last September. I paid all the customs, but unfortunately my expediter told me that the office to obtain my license plate and registration (New Title?) was closed that day. I returned to my home in Puerto Plata where the motorcycle is being stored. I have been told that my first license plate/registration needs to be obtained at the motor vehicle office at the port where I received it (Santo Domingo). My question: What is the procedure necessary to obtain my first plate and registration? Can I show up with my paperwork or do I need to bring the motorcycle? Do I need to be there personally or can I have a lawyer do this for me?

Advice is appreciated.
Larry

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Larry,
I just got some info on the same issue. I want to get lic. plate and registration for my ATV so I can drive it legally.
After asking my shipping agent what to do, he called me back and said:
-any custom broker can help you to receive the plate and the title.
-you have to provide the green custom declaration paper and have to paid 17% of the total value of the vehicle.
- he said that the usual fee of the brokers about DR$ 5000.
they will do the legwork for this. To me it seems a bit high, however I don't know how much work is involved.
-you have to give a notarized power of attorney form to the custom broker, limit his power to represent you and receive the plate and title issued to you.
That should be it. If you already have a custom agent just contact him/her and ask.
Good luck!
Zee

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I'm surprised you got the bike out of the port without the plates and matricula.

The 5000 pesos fee is appropriate for the broker.

Actually they let out my ATV also after paying custom tax and ITBIS. This not includes the plate and the matricula. For those you have to pay 17% of the total value. Damn rip-off, but that's what is it.
I guess aduana doesn't care if you are able to drive it-or not after you paid them.
I even talked to a guy from PN and he said if you want to drive off-road you don't need the plate, but be careful driving it in the city.

Zee

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Matricula

I don't know if motorcycles are the same as cars, but for the car I went with the broker to Sto Domingo (4th flr of the appropriate building) with all the paperwork. Import papers, paid duties, etc

The only confusing thing was they wanted one more piece of information to prove that "the vehicle" was "the vehicle in question". At the port, they took the VIN from the ownership, the dashboard and the door panel. BUT - They never stepped off the 4th floor to verify the VIN.
What they wanted was further verification.

I went down to the street and retrieved the original invoice(paid) and the window sticker from the dealer and a reciept for $19.95 oil change.

You guessed it - they jumped on that oil change receipt as "proof positive" and ignored the Bill of Sale and the window sticker.

Sooo, you really do not need the vehicle/motorcycle to be present to get the plates and matricula.

Hope this helps.

NetworkAdmin

Aug 23, 2009
I'm considering moving to DR... and I am a avid motorcycle enthusiast. Just curious... Why are you shipping bikes there? Are they special bikes? or are motorcycles hard to come by in DR?

Feb 7, 2007
Actually they let out my ATV also after paying custom tax and ITBIS. This not includes the plate and the matricula. For those you have to pay 17% of the total value. Damn rip-off, but that's what is it.

It's 2 years I bought my car. When I bought it, I went together with the seller to get the plate. The car was out of customs, paid customs tax and ITBIS (about 3 weeks before) and we went to SD to pay the matricula & plate fee.

So yes, somehow it's possible to get car/ATV/motorcycle out of customs without paying matricula & plate. And we traveled by bus, the car was not moving around much without the plates.