Teaching jobs

vx_thorpe

Jun 27, 2009
HI,
I am looking to move to the D.R early next year (2010) I am interested in finding a teaching position somewhere. I am not set on any particular area of the D.R so any information would be helpful! I do have my B.A in Child Psychology and will be finishing my B.Ed this year.
If anyone has any information they can pass along it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank-you

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
So you are looking to get hired for the 2010-2011 school year starting in August 2010 I assume?

With your education you will have NO trouble finding a job in any area of the country you choose.

I would advise first choosing an area of the country that you would like to live in.

Investigate the housing market (for either renting or buying).

Pay will be higher in the Santo Domingo and Punta Cana area. Pay on the North Coast does not really compare with pay down there.

Look at the pros and cons of the areas, and then expand your search for schools from there.

But as mentioned, with your degree you will have no problem finding a job!

SDF123

May 19, 2008
One other suggestion is to try to have the school hire you from the US the benifits and pay are much better than coming here and then getting hired. Carol Morgan is an amazing school and they have job fairs in the US to hire teachers. Remember that The school look for teachers starting in March and the jobs start in Aug.

vx_thorpe

Jun 27, 2009
Thank you so much for the help! I will look into Carol Morgan as well as jobs fairs. I am coming from Canada though so do you happen to know anything about any job fairs/recruitment up here?

After looking around I think your right (alicious) and I am interested in either Punta Cana or Santo Domingo so I will look around in those areas!

lara4228

Oct 22, 2009
Hi,

I too am in the same boat as you are. My hubby and I are looking to relocate to DR. Please should you have any info on job fairs in Canada email me at (Email address edited out - please send Private Message to contact poster).

In the meantime, I will be going the my local college and university campuses to see what info I can find out there.

Keep me posted.

Lara

Last edited by a moderator:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Here are some links to job fairs that those looking to teach overseas might find useful.

Faculty of Education - Teachers' Overseas Recruiting Fair (TORF)

International School Services - ISS Services - Educational Staffing, Job

UNI Overseas Placement Service Homepage

The Queens fair is in Canada while the others are Stateside along with some fairs overseas such as the one in Thailand. I do not recommend anyone using Search Associates from my own personal experience although I know people that have had positive experiences with this company. I believe ISS is the best way to go for those trying to enter into the international job market.

One think is for sure though - go to a job fair and there is no telling where you might end up going. There are so many possibilities that you haven't even thought of considering and so many opportunities in so many countries.

Good luck with your search but if you want to go the job fair route you are running out of time quickly. You will need to sign up and get your paperwork completed ASAP if it is not already to late.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
a few questions

Do you have teaching experience?

What levels do you prefer to teach? What subjects?

Do you have a teaching license beyond a degree?

Why the DR? What is the motivation?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I was completing my B.Ed at Queens University last year and so got lots of first hand information about the big teaching fair. There were zero schools from DR at the fair last year. Of course that may change this year, but if your only reason for going to the teaching fair at Queens is to hope for an interview from a DR school then you should look into it and contact the university education department to find out if a DR school will be attending or not.
I'm now working at a private school in DR, and I think your best bet is to contact the schools, introduce yourself and see where that takes you.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
If you're an Evangelical Christian, look at Santiago Christian School. They're already looking for people.

lara4228

Oct 22, 2009
Teaching in the DR

Wow! What an awesome response! Thank you all.

Ok, here is the scoop, I am 9 courses away from getting my Educational Assistant Diploma, which I started back in 2001. I specialize with exceptional children and primarily those with a functional of 4 - 7yrs.

My hubby and I are planning to make the move from Canada to DR in 18 months from now, I'm hoping for 6-12 months, he's hoping for 18-24 months.

Why do we want to live there? We love the people, the country, the warm weather and my dream is to teach, once I hit high school, I dreamed of teaching in a third world country. I always thought it to be Jamaica, but, as it turns out, DR it is!

I raised with islanders my whole, so the whole culture shock aspect won't be 'that' dramatic, for me anyhow, lol.

One person asked if I was evangelical christian, and the answer is yes. I was baptized at 20 in an evangelical church.

We have SO many questions, realistic cost of living, taxes, dual citizenship, cost of moving, etc, etc.

We have a place offered to us in Veron for $450US month or a buying option of $85,000, OBO. The owner of the condo is from Canada.

But first things first, how do I establish a teaching position and what is the 'realistic' salary?

I'm 32 and ready to make my dreams come true and not afraid of leaving my job, life, family here in Canada.

Please ANY info would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thanks all!

lara4228