Moving to Santo Domingo, D.R.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
We'll after the United States economy continues to fall on its face, more unemployment, no new jobs and house prices continues to drop to unbelieveable levels, it looks like me and my wife will be moving to Santo Domingo, D.R. very soon to live with my in-laws in Los Casicagos area of Santo Domingo. I have lots of framily and good friends in D.R. but is there any Americans living in Santo Domingo? I noticed on here more of the americans are living in Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosoua, Punta Cana (sorry for the spelling) on the north end of the island.

Also, what is the job situation down there right now for Americans? Should I contact the American Chamber of Commerce for assistance on find a job? I have a small local "store" that me and my wife rent out that I could maybe put a small business up but I hate to kick out the company renting from us as they have been good tenants for 8 years now. My wife is Dominican and has lots of family there so that should make the transition smoothly. Just trying to get feedback from others that are living there now. Thank You, CeJay

Nov 25, 2008
first off what to you do?
what will you live off when you get here?
I would definitely first come down and see what type of business you can start up here; before getting rid of good tenants.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
I presently own with my wife a custom door, windows and ornamental ironwork company in Miami, Florida that sells to architects, designers, builders and home owners but for last 15 years I have experience including college in transportation and logistics management and hotel management. We have a little savings built up plus the store that we rent out in Santo Domingo should provide money for a while but living either with in-laws or we will take one of my father-n-laws apartments that he owns to live for now, not sure I can deal with living with my in-laws if you know what I mean!! lol lol They live in a upscale area of Santo Domingo called "Los Casicagoes" which is nice, safe, beautiful parks in the "Mirador" to get exercise and I have plenty of my Dominican friends to take care of us and welcome us but still to live with in-laws can be tough. My friends and wife's family have been asking us for last 3years to move down there but business was good so we were scared to take that chance but now, we have nothing to lose! My suegro has offered me a job to manage his buildings and apartments-collect rent, maintenance, etc.. but not sure I want to do that, also my suegra works for the government and has contacts in the right places so you and me know how that works in Dominican Rep. She also owns 2 highend clothing stores for children one is in the mall and the other in a plaza and she would like to expand to other areas of D.R. like Santiago, La Romana or the North End of the country but then again, my wife wants to stay in the capital where all her family is but for me, I wouldn't mind living somewhere else besides the capital. Lots of tough decisions to make but I'm sure we will be okay and I'm trying to stay positive but this thing in the states with the economy is getting worse everyday and millions more are losing their jobs and houses. At least in Dominican we would have family, food, good drinks and good parties without all the stress here in the United States!!!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I presently own with my wife a custom door, windows and ornamental ironwork company in Miami, Florida that sells to architects, designers, builders and home owners but for last 15 years I have experience including college in transportation and logistics management and hotel management. We have a little savings built up plus the store that we rent out in Santo Domingo should provide money for a while but living either with in-laws or we will take one of my father-n-laws apartments that he owns to live for now, not sure I can deal with living with my in-laws if you know what I mean!! lol lol They live in a upscale area of Santo Domingo called "Los Casicagoes" which is nice, safe, beautiful parks in the "Mirador" to get exercise and I have plenty of my Dominican friends to take care of us and welcome us but still to live with in-laws can be tough. My friends and wife's family have been asking us for last 3years to move down there but business was good so we were scared to take that chance but now, we have nothing to lose! My suegro has offered me a job to manage his buildings and apartments-collect rent, maintenance, etc.. but not sure I want to do that, also my suegra works for the government and has contacts in the right places so you and me know how that works in Dominican Rep. She also owns 2 highend clothing stores for children one is in the mall and the other in a plaza and she would like to expand to other areas of D.R. like Santiago, La Romana or the North End of the country but then again, my wife wants to stay in the capital where all her family is but for me, I wouldn't mind living somewhere else besides the capital. Lots of tough decisions to make but I'm sure we will be okay and I'm trying to stay positive but this thing in the states with the economy is getting worse everyday and millions more are losing their jobs and houses. At least in Dominican we would have family, food, good drinks and good parties without all the stress here in the United States!!!!!

I'm going to give you a piece of advice that seldom gets imparted here...

Your wife's family is what's called "upper" middle class to "high". They live in the DR with a very, very comfortable level of living hard to see in today's US middle class. Just like my family, this family uses their purchasing and investment power to generate a steady flow of income. That income flow covers all the expenses of living and leaves more than enough, to cover for other luxuries as well.

If the family has often requested that you guys come down to the DR, the reason is very simple: Family trust! In the DR biz within the family is the golden egg. We support each other financially and socially. By your description (brief by very informative) your extended family can provide you with a platform from where to develop financially in the DR.

If things are not going so rosy in the US for you and your biz, the longer you wait to take that invitation to the DR, the longer it will take you to develop financially here.

Make the most of it!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I have lots of framily and good friends in D.R. but is there any Americans living in Santo Domingo? I noticed on here more of the americans are living in Puerto Plata, Cabarete, Sosoua, Punta Cana (sorry for the spelling) on the north end of the island.

"To each his own" Some ex-pats will choose different areas than others, it boils down to, what you are doing for a living and if the area provides the comforts and wants that you are looking for. Some ex-pats swear by different areas, so it will be best that you travel to most of the areas as possible, you'll be surprised.

For example, some careers require you to live in a big city(Capital or Santiago) and some adventurous active lifestyles(water sports & offroading) is better suited away from the big cities, like in the North Coast.

I would also recommend leaving a "safey net" back in Miami, just in case. Good Luck.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Your wife's family is what's called "upper" middle class to "high". They live in the DR with a very, very comfortable level of living hard to see in today's US middle class. Just like my family, this family uses their purchasing and investment power to generate a steady flow of income. That income flow covers all the expenses of living and leaves more than enough, to cover for other luxuries as well.

If the family has often requested that you guys come down to the DR, the reason is very simple: Family trust! In the DR biz within the family is the golden egg. We support each other financially and socially. By your description (brief by very informative) your extended family can provide you with a platform from where to develop financially in the DR.

If things are not going so rosy in the US for you and your biz, the longer you wait to take that invitation to the DR, the longer it will take you to develop financially here.

Make the most of it!

Couldn?t agree more!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008

Make the most of it!

Rarely said....

I agree with Pichardo

If you have the connections of your Wife's family and you use them correctly, then you will do well here.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Sorry for late response, just got back after having some drinks with friends here in Miami to relieve some stress:cheeky: Thank you for all your advise on here!!! I know how things work down there in D.R. with connections and such, but still scary for me to live in another country. I want to but I need to learn better spanish. I9 only know one American family down there and that is my in -laws next door neighbor. But I love life in Dominican, I love the people as they are sooooo warm and geniune. Let's see what happends but I need to do something because life here in the U.S. right now is miserable!! My wife told me she is allowed to bring so much stuff without duties and I should be able to get Dominican dual citizenship since I'm married to a Dominican. Dominican has good things and bad things that would get used to. Like good things are good drinks, good friends, cheap food, cheap rum-beer, family, cheap haircuts, simple life, less stress but then bad things like electricity turn off every day "even though we have a generator", expensive cars, expensive name brand clothing, expensive hair and body products, expensive doctor and dentist visits, etc...I'm from Tennessee but the thing that bothers me the most is missing Tennessee football games!!!! Do you think I can get ESPN, CBS, NBC, ETC.. down there to get college football????

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
Hey Cejay I actually live in Miami too and planing to move Santo Domingo because of the economy,jobs etc. I am planning to open a business with some partners at Sto Dom. and PR. My partenr in PR is planning to move too.
But like you and I am very nervous to move to another country and maybe change my lifestyle in Miami,but i am willing to try for a year and if my businees do good i will move all my family and rent my property in Miami,let's see what happen.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
jmiranda31 -Cool, are you Dominican? Yea, I know things here in Miami are terrible right now! We went from selling to almost a million a year to almost nothing this year "like only $20,000" and has been very difficult every day and every week. What kind of business are you looking to do or put up in D.R.? Where you live in Miami? I live in Doral. My house value has dropped almost $300,000 this year along and is practically worth nothing now and I can't sell it, because nobody is buying and if I short sell it the bank won't accept it because what I owe in my mortgage! Used to be a good investment but now worth nothing. Hell, my neighborhood has had like 7 forclosers as people are going back to Venezulea and Colombia and my next door neighbor who is Dominican hasn't even paid her house in like 7 months now. She told me she is going to move back to Dominican as her best friend moved down there like 8 months ago and is working in Juan Dolio so I think she has a job lined up at the hotel her friend works at. You know it's funny but I have a neighbor friend who is also Dominican and his sister who also lives in Doral-forclosed 2 years ago and believe it or not, she is still living for Free at her townhouse in Doral for Free for 2 years now because the bank can't sell or find anybody to buy her house. What a joke is going on right now in the States and Obama doesn't have a clue on whats going on right now with our big Ponzi sceam economy that we live in!!!!! I'm finished Dude and ready to leave!!! Things you will see are going to get worse here and will soon be the Big Depression all over again!!!!

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
Cejay,I am Puertorrican living by fountainbleu area for the last 17 years,very close to Doral and you are so right about the economy and properies value.
I going to sto.dom. in 2 weeks and come back to Miami once a month to see my family. Hope to do well with the businness with my partners,sorry i can tell you, It is top secret:glasses: But like you, I will try to make it is Sto.Dom and enjoy life,not just pays bills and see how this economy goes further down.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Oh okay, Fountainebleu is close to me in Doral, right down the street. I know what you mean with the economy and all. We'll good luck with you and your family and business. Dominican Republic is a good place to live but has some restrictions that we don't have here but at least you have the comado's "neighborhood stores" or drive thru liquor stores to deliver or pick up cerveza or vodka when you don't feel like going to the store!! And good cerdo also at the "La Boriqua" and "Vila Mejia" lol lol

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome to DR1, cejay, you can use the Private Message function to communicate with jmiranda - please keep postings on this thread for information about moving to Santo Domingo.

My wife told me she is allowed to bring so much stuff without duties and I should be able to get Dominican dual citizenship since I'm married to a Dominican. Dominican has good things and bad things that would get used to. Like good things are good drinks, good friends, cheap food, cheap rum-beer, family, cheap haircuts, simple life, less stress but then bad things like electricity turn off every day "even though we have a generator", expensive cars, expensive name brand clothing, expensive hair and body products, expensive doctor and dentist visits, etc...I'm from Tennessee but the thing that bothers me the most is missing Tennessee football games!!!! Do you think I can get ESPN, CBS, NBC, ETC.. down there to get college football????
You will find answers to most of these questions right here in the Living Forum. Not sure of the details of duty concessions for returning Dominicans but there are threads about it here, so search. You can get Dominican citizenship but it's usual for foreigners in your circumstances to get residency first. Food is not that cheap unless you eat simple, local fare. Doctors and dentists are cheaper than in the US: but you should get good medical insurance. Most Dominican homes have cable/satellite TV and the stations you mention are standard. Some of the products you mention (although not cars) can be bought from the US via the internet and even after paying the private mail services you will end up paying less.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Plenty

There are plenty of Americans living in Santo Domingo, I would guess most are retired from whatever they did in the States, as I am. Although I am retired I haven't hit 50 yet, and I have been retired for more than 2.5 years, now, and living in D.R. for almost 2 of those years. I must admit, I am starting to get a little itchy myself, and am contemplating starting a business in the next few months myself.

As far as where the ex-pats tend to live, they would live in some of the nicer areas, as you described, I myself live in Gazcue, and I see ex-pat Americans everyday. Santo Domingo is however more spread out than the places on the northcoast, so it may easily seem, that not many are here.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Yayow

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Thanks

Thanks for your help and insight Yayow. It's good to know there are some Americans there in the capital. My in-laws next doors neighbors are American, I think he works for the Hope Program or some U.S. government program and I know one other that moved down there like 2 years ago and their son dates my wife's cousin. Let me ask you Yayow, how has your experience been living there in Dominican? Do you speak spanish perfect or little bit? What kind of business do you think is good down there? Restaurant, club, bar, etc...? Just wondering because I'm getting itchy myself to get outta here before things total calapse here in the U.S.. Did you have to move everything down there or did you buy everything "furniture, appliances, etc.." down there? I would have to almost move a full house of stuff so I was wondering how much a container could cost to move everything there?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Well....

Well as far as the experience, I have enjoyed it thouroughly living here, at first on the North Coast in Sosua, and for the last nine or so months in la capital. La capital is a better fit for me, as believe it or not, don't want to be surrounded by tourist all the time, plus I enjoy the things I can do in a city the size of Santo Domingo. I can't see myself ever moving back to the U.S., or not at least for a while. I find my pension goes much futher here than in NY where I was from. As far as speaking the language, I can get by, but I am taking classes to improve my language skills. I realize if I do get involved in something knowing the language in my opinion is essential. I didn't ship all my things here (currently renting a furnished apt.), they are in storage back in the States, waiting to get my residency so I don't have to pay such a big tax to ship it here. But in a place like Miami or NY it is very reasonable and many companies will do it for you, just check with others for someone that is reputable.

As far as the business that is still in the planning/research stage, and don't wish to discuss it until, I have more of the details down. In any case I don't expect to get started besides planning stage for at least another 5 or 6 months.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Sounds good and like your liking it down down Yayow and thanks for all your insight. The longest I have ever stayed down in Santo Domingo was 1 1/2 months right after Sept. 2001 terrosit attack in NYC and I got layed off and was getting married down in Santo Domingo. Are you going thru a lawyer to get your residency in D.R.? If you need a lawyer let me know as my father-n-law, mother-n-law and 2 of my wife's brothers are all lawyers and their offices are right on Ave. Simon Bolivar not far from you at my father-n-laws plaza. Sometimes down there it is just a matter of pulling strings and who you know!!! lol lol My mother-n-law was the president of the passport dept. but now since Leonel was re-elected she followed her friend to another government agency for construction of low income housing and she is the government lawyer for that dept. but don't worry she could help you if needed to get your residence faster.

Yea, if I move down there I put probably start a business too but not sure what yet trying to come up with ideals now but I do love it down there and with so much family "my wife's family" and friends I feel right at home down there. My family in Tennessee is small and my wife doesn't like there so much as she thinks it's too country for her!!! lol lol At this point, I'm willing to gamble and take a chance on living there and if it doesn't work out then there is always the states to come back too but not until the economy improves which would take minimum 2-3 years to rebuild and recover jobs, housing, etc..here. This is like the great depression all over again but lets hope not!