Walk from Playa Bonita to Las Terrenas?

northstarnewbie

Jun 1, 2009
Hey All,
Thanks for the wonderful advice! It helps a rookie like me who knows nothing about where I'm going...

If I stay at Hotel Acaya / Atlantis am I able to walk to Las Terrenas if I want? Also, if I stay at Alisei, can I visit the beaches of Playa Bonita / coson by walking? I will rent a quad if necessary but I like to walk if at all possible.
I am already second guessing myself from staying too far from town... Alisei is giving a good rate and it also has wonderful reviews. Maybe it worth staying there and then hiking to the other beautiful beach areas.
any last minute help would be greatly appreciated.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Not the easiest walk

Hi! We own a rental villa in Las Terrenas and I've walked to Playa Bonita from Playa Popy and, for the most part, it's certainly do-able, BUT....you must walk up a fairly steep path that's been blocked by big pieces of concrete-- I think it would be difficult to carry more than a small beach bag and I've read on previous postings not to be on this path after dark--- Good luck!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
we were told by a german woman who lives on punta bonita(the point between alisei and playa bonita) that the path was walkable but since we had quads we did not walk it. it is blocked by the concrete so that no vehicles can cross but pedestrians can pass. to take quads to coson you must go on a hilly road that had many big trucks(construction for the new road to el catey i assume). they did have flag men at the hill tops however to warn when the trucks were coming through and we made it there just fine. having been there my personal choice would be alisei or colibri. it is far enough from town to avoid most crowds but still not so far to be convenient and the beach there is very nice as well.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Be aware, though. There is a stream that can be difficult to ford just as you enter Playa Bonita from LT. Ask the locals about conditions before you embark on the hike.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Does somebody know whether the new road from Cozon to El Catey is already under construction?

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
That road would cut another half hour driving from the capital to Playa Bonita, great news.
Thanks

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
road

Are they improving the existing road, from the new toll highway from Santo Domingo, or are they constructing an entirely new road, which will bypass all of the small towns? thanks

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
There will be a new road from the airport along the coast to Playa Cozon, max 10 km.
No need to go to Sanchez and over the mountain via Las Terrenas.
Bad news for the people living in the villages on the hill because I think this road will not be repaired anymore.
We will see.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
The best thing to do is to stay at Alisei and rent a quad (they can rent it for you and it is delivered to the hotel). You can have a very nice ride from Las Terrenas to Playa Bonita or you can catch a "motoconcho" to bring you there. I would never, ever, walk from Punta Popi to Playa Bonita. It is extremely far. By the time you get there you will be exhausted and it will be time to walk back. Trust me, I live in Las Terrenas.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
we rented quads from patricia rentals which is not far on the way to town from alisei on the left. from the prices we saw i felt we got a good deal and greg who runs it is very helpful and speaks english. just in case you wish to shop around :) and they have a website if you google...

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I would never, ever, walk from Punta Popi to Playa Bonita. It is extremely far
Juniper is correct (Hello S.!!) However, I enjoy the long walk because I only carry a small bag with a book, towel and water bottle and I usually catch a motoconcho back to LT-- No matter how you get there, you'll LOVE Playa Bonita!

northstarnewbie

Jun 1, 2009
Hi All,

Just spent my 1st night at Hotel Alisei. My wife loves it and thats the most important thing! Very safe, and very beautiful. The 1st day was rainy but as I am writing this, it looks like it will be sunny and hot!

FYI... Juniper I didn' t catch up on your post til just now. We ended up walking to playa Bonita, and it took about 25 minutes including a Presidente break! It was exciting but we probably wont do it again... we are renting today which should make life a little easier i hope.

Again, thanks for all the advice. We found that Las Terrenas is very beautiful, fun and safe. I will for sure be spreading the good news about this location in the caribbean.

Later.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Glad you enjoyed your stay. You made the right selection by staying at the Alisei Hotel. The walk from the hotel to Playa Bonita is not bad. The one to avoid is the walk from Punta Popi to Playa Bonita.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Does someone have actual information about the ongoing construction from the airport El Catey to Playa Cozon?
How far advanced are the works?

Thanks'
GALK

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Hi Galk,
Work on the new road is well under way, you can find some photos and info at www.Las Terrenas live.com hope this helps.