Moving to Santo Domingo-what clothing to bring- weather wise

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
My daughter and myself are moving to Santo Domingo in July. She has a contract to teach at a school for a year. She will be wearing a uniform at school but what type clothes does she need to bring for the weather. We picture it in the 80's everyday but how cool does it get at night? Does she need to bring a rain jacket/sweaters/jeans? I know she won't be wearing shorts out but it seems too hot for anything else. Do the women wear lots of skirts? We can each bring 2 big suitcases so we need to only pack what we will need. We just don't really know the range of weather. PLEASE HELP!
We are trying to pack! Thank you very much!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's hot all year round, but the evenings are cool enough for a light jacket in the winter months (~Nov-Feb). You will also need warmer clothes for excessively airconditioned environments like long-distance buses, going to the movies and if you are planning to visit the mountain regions like Jarabacoa and Constanza where it does get cold. Although it does rain, it's much too hot to wear rain jackets - an umbrella is enough because rain showers are usually strong and short-lived.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jeans are basic equipment for women, and I have seen some skirts and dresses making a comeback at the university...not a lot but more than in former years...
Nikes and walking shoes for trips and travel...
Bathing suits.

HB

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
Thank you both! My daughter wants to travel on the weekends. Would she need a jacket to go to the mountain regions? How cold is that? Thank you for your insight!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was in Constanza in June and it was cool even during the day if you were out of the sun, and cold at night, so yes. In winter, even more so. Jarabacoa is not as cold.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Constanza

I have been to Constanza only around x-mas time on the very top of the mountain and it gets down right cold up top! Reminds me of Tennessee! lol But to answer her question about clothing-shorts is a no no unless your at the beach for woman or men. Jeans are in fashion and long dress pants also. Same for guys-1st thing I learned 8 years ago going to D.R. -If you go out with shorts, t-shirt and flipflops, people will look at your funny in La Capital!

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
Constanza, I am from Tennessee and now live in North Carolina.Thank you for saying yes to the jeans. We were originally only bringing 1 pair. That will change now. I need all of the guidance I can get! (How do you pack a year of everything in 2 suitcases?). Young women here don't really wear dress pants but I guess a pair of black and or khaki would be a good idea. I'm not worried about myself but it is hard to narrow down packing for a young woman in her 20's!

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I am a woman around your daughter's age (early 30s). I stick to jeans, light pants and skirts. Although a subject open to debate on this site, I have observed that here in Santo Domingo it is not common for women to wear shorts in public, except for in the house, exercise, beach/swimming or quick down-the-street errands. I have two pairs of shorts I rotate and that's enough for me.

I was in Constanza in April- at night and in the shade I needed a fleece. That is the only time I have used it while here. I second Chirimoya's suggestion for a/c contingencies- I carry a faux-pashmina or light wrap in my purse for when I am in meetings, movie theaters, etc.

You *can* find most clothing items here. Quality and prices will vary. I have found few sizes that fit, since I apparently have a different interpretation of how clothes should fit a woman. ;) You can get items for cheap at places like Plaza Lama and Sema, but you get what you pay for. Better quality items are available at malls and international chain stores like Mango and Zara, but you pay a premium.

The extra baggage fee is expensive these days! In January I had to pay US$250 on Delta for a 3rd bag. Almost worth as much as what I had in the darn bag! :)

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Hello Rose-ny, I'm from Tennessee also, I'm from Chattanooga. I live in Miami now and married to a Dominican girl for last 8 years and have been down there countless times. Take lots of designer jeans, polo shirts, nice dresses, long pants, top,etc.. you can wear the flipflops, t-shirts, shorts when you go to the beach,etc...no problem. Dominican people love their fashion as 1st time I went there I was in a state of shock. Seems like everybody I know, family and friends down there are wearing polo shirts, lacoste shirts, $400 farragamo shoes, $200 belts from Ferragamo, Gucci, Armani Exchange etc...Doesn't mean you have to though. Think of McCallie, Baylor, Knoxville Webb type people and you will know what I'm saying. lol lol

Where in Dominican Rep. are you going or living? If you ever need anything, here is my email address cejayvols@yahoo.com -of course vols is for the Big Orange Tennessee!! lol lol My wife is going down in a couple of weeks and I might shortly after that. As far as suitcases, what we do especially around Christmas time and gifts for everybody, we go and buy Big Duffle Bags. We can get them here in Miami for like $40 each but they carry 10 times more stuff than a normal suitcase and we also even take lots of toys for the poor kids that we have a Christmas for them every year so we are packed to the bone. American Airlines does have restrictions though going to D.R. not sure about Spirit Airlines. We just pay a fee to take overweight bags which is usually about $75 per bag! Your allowed 2 suitcases or bags each plus your carry on's also you can ship things with American Airlines air-cargo also and they will have a local deliver to you down there. I hope this helps and if you need anything or have any concerns, don't be bashful as just helping a fellow Tennessean!!! lol lol -CeJay

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
Y'all are wonderful. I am having deep breathing right now about the designer clothing.
I really had not anticipated that. My daughter lived in Buenos Aires as an exchange student and Santo Domingo sounds similar. I had a more laid back idea about the DR.
I am so glad you are responding. It is getting expensive to have a 3rd bag. We are flying Delta out of Atlanta.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
jejejej...my friend that i visits often turns up his nose as some of the clothes I bring to give him and the family. He might not have a lot of money but he needs to look good!

It can get chilly at night, even on the south coast in the winter months. I had to put on a sweater a couple of nights on my last visit.

best of luck on your experience!

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
Thank you so much. Anything I can do to make the transition for my daughter easier will be helpful. She is not what I would call a "name brand" kind of gal. So any more help from the young people would be appreciated! She will want to be going out with friends etc. and it will help if she has the right clothes. This is so insightful and such great information!

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I am having deep breathing right now about the designer clothing.
I really had not anticipated that. My daughter lived in Buenos Aires as an exchange student and Santo Domingo sounds similar. I had a more laid back idea about the DR.

Although brand names are a "big deal" here, no more so than in any American city, I would say. I've been to Buenos Aires and think it's much more intense there than here in Santo Domingo! If your daughter is the type who wants to be seen in Polo (from what you say she's not), then I'm sure she already has a stock of what would impress the name-brand people. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Going out clothes are jeans (the tighter the better, ha ha!) and cute tops; high heels or wedges. Cute sundresses are also getting popular. Whatever she brings, she should be able to dance in it! Honestly, whatever she wears at home will be fine here. US fashion influence/style is strong here, especially in Santo Domingo.

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Rose-ny, you will be fine. Not to scare you or put anybody down but i'm telling you especially if your in Santo Domingo, you will see the amount of porsche's, mercedez, range rovers and designer clothing down there. As I tell me wife, Dominican are snobby but in a good way!!! lol lol You basically have two groups there super rich and poor, poor a somewhat middle class but as i say the middle class is basically kids that were born in rich families trying to make it in life themselves now but whenever they need money, it is always there! lol lol But Dominican are some of the most warm, genuine people you will find and have so much love for their country and make due what they have. My mom and Dad went down for my wedding there "they looked like the Beverly Hillbillie's" but they had a blast and are planning another trip soon. You will like it there and have so much fun. Try also to blend in with the locals and get to know the locals as they will help you when needed and are a enjoyment to be around especially the nightlife and parties, events and such!

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
Las: I had to laugh when I read your post. My daughter bought some tight "skinny" jeans in Buenos Aires. That is all they sold. She thought she was so "chic" when she bought them. She did feel like she blended in better after that. So they will definitely be packed. She just bought a pair of wedges that make her look taller. We are vertically challenged. She loves to dance so all of that sounds great.

We are looking forward to our arrival and yes, we want to become a part of the community.

Whew, I feel better now. All of you have been such a help to me!

cejay

Sep 11, 2002
www.decodesigncenter.com
Good morning Rose-nc, where in Dominican Republic are you going or living? Talking about music and dancing, most of the younger kids are listening to electric or dance music down there and in the clubs like DJ Tiesto, DJ Van Buren, etc...Merengue their country music has kinda played out with the younger folks except Omega. I know this because my wife's brother and all her cousins are all in their 20's and I hear what they are playing down there alot. Oh I forgot to mention, T-Shirts like with Ed Hardy with all the crazy designs and tatoo designs are in fashion also with jeans or any crazy looking design t-shirts with names on them like dr.pepper, sprite, one love, crazy stuff like that is in fashion also at the clubs, etc.. or they were when we were down there around christmas for almost 3 weeks.

Rose-nc

Jun 20, 2009
Good Afternoon! We will be living in one of the residential areas in Santo Domingo - near El Embajador. My daughter loves t-shirts and hated leaving them behind. So maybe she can take a few of her favorites! I am getting such great ideas from you all! Many thanks!
You can't give me too much information, that is for sure!