Doulas, Baby Nurses, and Lactation Consultants...Oh My!!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Is there a market for this in Santiago? From what I have seen most women are C-Sectioned, for no reason other than they don't want their twat stretched out:ermm:
From what I have seen, most don't breastfeed because they don't want their boobs to sag:ermm:
From what I've seen, most don't need baby nurses because they have 15 sisters/aunts/cousins who help them.
What kind of work can I do?
So what is a poor L&D RN to do when she is ready to retire from keeping Jet Blue in business by flying to NYC every other week?
A sister is tired! And it does not help that I HATE New York! (But I LOVE my job)
Well, I have no other skills so I guess I will continue to do as I am doing.
Guess, I just needed to vent.

It also doesn't help that everytime I try to leave this place, they give me more money. ;):cheeky:;):cheeky:
SHALENA

I'll be home soon!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
SKing, I can try and put you in touch with someone in Santiago who might be able to advise you.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for the PM...I will call. I would like to be able to just come to NYC to work during the summers. I make enough with the OT during the summers to live off of the rest of the year in DR, but I would have to lower my standard of living which I don't want to do. So I need to work in Santiago, at least Part-Time.
SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I talked with my sister in law who is a non registered nurse and she says all you need is your diploma to work as a registered nurse. This doesn't sound quite accurate to me but a few phone calls should be able to verify that.

However, even the RN's here make little - less than RD20k a month at the best private clinics.

You might want to consider looking fo a part time job in Miami as the flight is much shorter.

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
Is there a market for this in Santiago? From what I have seen most women are C-Sectioned, for no reason other than they don't want their twat stretched out:ermm:
From what I have seen, most don't breastfeed because they don't want their boobs to sag:ermm:
From what I've seen, most don't need baby nurses because they have 15 sisters/aunts/cousins who help them.
What kind of work can I do?
So what is a poor L&D RN to do when she is ready to retire from keeping Jet Blue in business by flying to NYC every other week?
A sister is tired! And it does not help that I HATE New York! (But I LOVE my job)
Well, I have no other skills so I guess I will continue to do as I am doing.
Guess, I just needed to vent.

It also doesn't help that everytime I try to leave this place, they give me more money. ;):cheeky:;):cheeky:
SHALENA

I'll be home soon!!!

Ha. Don't parse your words. Hopefully we'll cross paths when I am in town.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I talked with my sister in law who is a non registered nurse and she says all you need is your diploma to work as a registered nurse. This doesn't sound quite accurate to me but a few phone calls should be able to verify that.

However, even the RN's here make little - less than RD20k a month at the best private clinics.

You might want to consider looking fo a part time job in Miami as the flight is much shorter.

The problem is, I don't want a JOB JOB that I have to show up for everyday. I want to do something "freelance".
Also Miami would be good if I knew someone there that I could stay with when I am there because I need my housing allowance that I get from my company. If they have to provide me an apt, they do not give me the housing allowance
SHALENA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The problem is, I don't want a JOB JOB that I have to show up for everyday. I want to do something "freelance".
Also Miami would be good if I knew someone there that I could stay with when I am there because I need my housing allowance that I get from my company. If they have to provide me an apt, they do not give me the housing allowance
SHALENA

That should be quite easy as this is very common among hispanics to rent out rooms. Just sell yourself as a second generation domincayol.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
well, if i had known... the damn lactation consultants at la liga de la leche charge $500 pesos a visit! and they scare people with their fanatacism (is that a word?) and i would have paid you to take care of me these past few weeks. you should have told me! shoot.

seriously, though? there are a lot of people interested in lactation consultants - all the women i met in the clinic were trying to steal her attention when she came to see me because they didn't know there was such a thing as a woman who helps you breastfeed. but, then they were turned off by her stories about how she BFed til her kids were 5 and how she kept yelling at them about bottles and formula. and some wealthier women we know (especially of the nouveau riche) look for people to take care of their new borns because they don't trust their campesino families.