B File Number Port au Prince

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I have a B file number from Haiti. When checking status updates on-line, do I use that number? If so, what is the number called? There are many options on-line. Do I include the "B" in the number?

Help?!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
You use "Immigration File Number"
Your husbands Date of Birth & Dominican Republic.

Include the B ex. Bxxxxxxxx

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
it will likely be the same all the way through the process.

sometimes you will see more info under the B file number but not always.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Sometimes one updates faster than the other - sometimes nothing happens - sometimes both update. Keep checking both!!

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Thanks Lexi. I will ... again ... and again ... and again... :) Called my MP today. Talked to an assistant. Wasn't too kind and said it would take her at least 3 weeks to get any information for me. :( Don't think I'll get much help there.

Johana

May 24, 2006
twillis,

I got the same response from my MP's office the first time they emailed Haiti - that it could take 2-3 weeks for a response. Because of posters on this site I knew that other MP offices had answers in 2-3 days - so I pushed back and told them so. They then sent another email that was responded to in a couple of hours.
The CIC website was never updated under my file number so at least this gave me confirmation that they had the application and it was in process.

As you can see from the other thread about calling MP"s - not all MP's are created equal - but I would push back this is your life at stake! Let them know that you know of other people who's MP's are able to get answers for them in a couple of days.

Good luck.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Hi Johana, I did tell her that, and she seemed annoyed by that. She said 'did you read that on the internet, cuz its not true' which I know it is. Maybe I hit her on a bad day, I have decided to move onto another MP. I will go into the office in person this time. Maybe that will help. The luck of the draw, people having bad days, busy environments. You never know what the problem is or why somebody isn't very receptive to you. Disappointing.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Hi Johana, I did tell her that, and she seemed annoyed by that. She said 'did you read that on the internet, cuz its not true' which I know it is. Maybe I hit her on a bad day, I have decided to move onto another MP. I will go into the office in person this time. Maybe that will help. The luck of the draw, people having bad days, busy environments. You never know what the problem is or why somebody isn't very receptive to you. Disappointing.

Can you do that? Request assistance from another MP??
I thought you are only able to ask assistance from the MP that covers the area where you live?

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Alicious, I live in a big'ish city so I have four MPs here. The one in my riding isn't being helpful, so I have called another one. His assistant is calling me back, so I will let you know.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Alicious, I live in a big'ish city so I have four MPs here. The one in my riding isn't being helpful, so I have called another one. His assistant is calling me back, so I will let you know.
Thanks! Please do let me know! I will check back for updates :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

I would advice people to save for the push when the push is necessary. What is it that you are trying to find out at the moment?

I see your timeline is;

twillis

Married: January 17/09
Papers sent to Mississauga: January 29/09
Received letter requesting additional documentation: February 24/09
Sent in documentation: February 25/09
Approved as sponsor: March 9/09
Haiti ~ In Process: March 17/09

You're been in process only since March so according to what other members have gone through you won't be hearing much now for a while. Maybe fall unless they need more documents from you.

All I'm saying is don't push at times that it's not necessary you'll need it further down the road.

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Hi Anna, I guess I'm just having a day where I wish I would hear something, anything. I know I need to have patience. Maybe you are right. I will see if the MP assistant calls back. I am hoping to hear "how the file is going?" ... I know I know ... I'll leave it. :( I need patience.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi Anna, I guess I'm just having a day where I wish I would hear something, anything. I know I need to have patience. Maybe you are right. I will see if the MP assistant calls back. I am hoping to hear "how the file is going?" ... I know I know ... I'll leave it. :( I need patience.

Might be a good time to get to know your MP or the assistant. Make an appointment and go into the office. Face to face is always best I think. That way when it's time for real help they know who you are. If you're calling all the time they will see you as a pest.

I can't imagine how hard all this waiting is so you do have my sympathy.;)

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
AnnaC, Yes, I do struggle with the pest/trying wife thing. I certainly don't want to be a pest, but I also don't want to NOT do things i should be doing. I noticed jojodcn and canwest heard from the embassy so I was getting a little worried. My best bet is to stay off line for awhile, work, enjoy the summer and my kids and have faith all will be okay. That's my next plan ... lol ... wish me luck.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I agree with Anna. Good to build a relationship with the office. I contacted once in the beginning looking for the B file# but then like the rest of us did my time in the waiting cell.

It sounds as though my experience with the MP is abnormal, as she has been fantastic sending me regular emails along the way. I am just very thankful that she knows me and my situation and is working with me to help with the visa in hand at this point.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
AnnaC, Yes, I do struggle with the pest/trying wife thing. I certainly don't want to be a pest, but I also don't want to NOT do things i should be doing. I noticed jojodcn and canwest heard from the embassy so I was getting a little worried. My best bet is to stay off line for awhile, work, enjoy the summer and my kids and have faith all will be okay. That's my next plan ... lol ... wish me luck.

That's the spirit. Enjoy your summer, time will go faster.

Do order the caips CAIPS FileCheck - CAIPS notes for Canadian immigrants. That will at least tell you something. Not much but something.

I do wish you luck. As hard as it is to believe getting the visa will be the easy part ;)

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
I will do that. Thanks for you advice. And yes I know soon the toilet seat being left up will bother me as much as this. LOL :)