Being Pregnant in D.R.

Rose30

Jun 30, 2009
Hello All, I am an American woman who will be living in the D.R. with my Dominican husband. We are planning our first child and I am thinking about how I want my pregnancy to be. Assuming everything will be normal and healthy for me, I would like to know:

Anyone who has been pregnent and given birth while in the D.R., can you tell me how your experience was and what you would have done differently? Or what was great?

Personally, I would like to have a mostly natural experience, and if possible, I would like to do a water birth, is this possible in D.R.?

I may stay in D.R. for the majority of my pregnancy, and then go back to the U.S. to give birth if I cannot find a place I am comfortable giving birth at in the D.R.

Also, other than the tropical climate and over abundance of C-sections that seem to be performed in this country, what should I be aware of as different in the D.R. for my pregnancy?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have health care insurance, be sure to have your child in the states. It saves a lot of headaches later...believe me.

Besides that, find a doctor you are comfortable with and be cool. Talk to Chirimoya about natural stuff. In Santiago there are classes in natural childbirth...a lot depends on where you will be living.

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Being pregnant in the DR was generally a very positive experience. Pregnant women are treated with respect and get a lot of attention which may or not be a good thing ;)
There is also a cultural tendency to treat pregnancy as an illness and too many women don't do any exercise as a result, and some unnecessary privileges are awarded like not having to stand in line in the bank and special parking spaces in shopping malls and supermarkets.

One recommended Ob/Gyn for a natural approach to childbirth in Santo Domingo is Dra. Jenny Garcia.

You could also contact La Leche League - there are groups in SD, Santiago and La Vega - even before the baby is born they will have tips for doctors, childbirth preparation classes in your area, etc.

Lideres

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Do yourself and your unborn a HUGE favor and go back to the states for the birth.......

Bob K

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
If I'm not mistaken going back to the USA for the birth will make residency and paperwork A LOT easier for you and your baby.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My friend (LaTeacher) has had 2 children here. You could PM her...she has done all her prenatal care in DR and both deliveries. She just had a beautiful baby girl!!!
SHALENA

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
We had a great OG-GYN here in Sto Dgo and the birth and care at Abel Gonzalez was fantastic. My wife had all of the nurses attention as we had the only baby at that time. Cost without insurance was about US$3k for everything (but no water birth and no complications).

Oh, and during your pregnancy, get ready for complete strangers in the DR in public places pointing at you and exclaiming "Varon!" or "hembra!" jajajajaja

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i just had a baby girl here on june 4, and my son was born here in august of 07. i thought of going home to have my girl because i wanted to try for a VBAC (my son was an emergency c-section after 41 weeks and some days waiting to go into natural labor: the doctors at my clinic were very supportive of allowing me to have a natural birth) but i the consensus, even in the states, was that i shouldn't try for a natural birth at all (for various reasons). my pre-natal care was basically good (i had a glitch near the end of my pregnancy where i had to switch doctors because of an insurance thing) and. especially with my son, felt very good about everything.

we declared both kids as soon as we could after they were born - we've got the appointment in a few weeks for the girl at the consulate and our son has travelled a lot already on an american passport - the only thing is that if you need to travel quickly after the baby is born it's a process that can take a little while to get the paperwork.

if you're a citizen and you find a doctor you're comfortable with and you're healthy, there's really no reason to not to have a baby here.