Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default not much gay pride !

Rod 2.0:Beta: Riot Police in Dominican Republic Disperse Gay Pride Gathering

have they never seen how many vistors flock to sydney,australia for gay pride events....another tourism opportunity missed

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

yes, but DR stays morally strong
    btw, did you notice 666 reference points under your login? apage, satanas.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

either Im popular or someones playiing a joke

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

or maybe you are, ehm... the voice of the dark forces?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the duck is a gay symbol here lol

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    Rod 2.0:Beta: Riot Police in Dominican Republic Disperse Gay Pride Gathering

have they never seen how many vistors flock to sydney,australia for gay pride events....another tourism opportunity missed
    Yes all the hotels, restaurants and shops were very booked , full and happy in Toronto last week. Some businesses compare pride week to Christmas week interms of sales. 1 million people come to watch the parade, ready to spend money, very happy. Fun, violence free event.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not surprised

The article says:
    "La Policía explicó que actuó en base a una instrucción de la Fiscalía del Distrito, la que, a su vez, recibió una querella de la Junta de Vecinos del sector, indicando que las reuniones gays en el Parque Duarte alteran el ambiente y constituyen una agresión a la sana convivencia."
    "Un vocero de la Junta de Vecinos informó a El Nacional que el parque Duarte no puede ser considerado “zona libre” para los encuentros de personas que escandalizan con su comportamiento al sector y constituyen un elemento de perturbación, en especial frente a la niñez de esa zona."

Guess I need to get the number of this fiscal. I deal with "agresiones a la sana convivencia" every day, whether it's the neighborhood narcos or the corner pack of tigueres. But they aren't perverse or anything, just sometimes have more than one parter, beat their partner and frequent prostitutes, but at least of the opposite sex. (sarcasm)

If it were a gay cruise ship docking to have a party, or a bunch of gay tourists at a public gathering, the police wouldn't bother them. Also, why do they have to assume that everyone who goes to gay events is gay and scandalizing?

Halting this event did more harm than good, if you can conceive any good from doing that at all. It makes the country look bad, and insults any sense of democracy and free speech.

As far as taking advantage of it for tourism purposes, it would be a great idea. I would go to a parade or festival, and I imagine a lot of people would love to celebrate their pride in the warm DR, with all of it's beaches and sunshine (no offense person from Toronto!).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile More Pride than of the other Cities Listed

These men and women are showing Pride.
    DR and Santo Domingo in particular are not gay friendly places. The overall attitude of live and let live that I have encountered is great but that does not mean that this is a gay friendly place and at times can translate into let me step on you to get what I need. I have been here 1 year living with my partner and we have met some amazing people but we have also encountered some very overt homophobia direct and indirect, when we were together and when I was alone. This is an amazing country with many opportunities but has a long way to go on many things and equality for women and gay people is two of those things.
    So I say these people are very courageous and are showing Pride. They are doing the best they can with their limited resources, and organizational skills. Does anyone know that there is a gay church here in DR? Yes it meets on Saturday nights in Santo Domingo. Just wait in years to come same people will complain about all the gays coming in and making nose and driving up prices!! Just ask the people in New York how much they like the parade there.

Thank you

Gay man living with his partner here in DR because we can get married and move to the US.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rather see more gay tourists here than AI tourists.
    The gay crowd tend to stay in the smaller hotels and spend money in the local community, restaurants, bars, shops etc. Their dollar yield is usually excellent!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast