Newbie: I have a question...

indy2273

Jul 1, 2009
Hello to all... I am new to the site and I am a Dominican woman living in South Florida for the past 26 years.

I had a question and thought that maybe somebody will be able to assist me with some suggestions...

I have recently become interested in moving back to Dominican Republic after living in Florida practically all of my life and I don't know where to start on the following pressing issues:

1. Are they any companies in D.R. that are American owned and pay in dollars instead of Dominican currency?

2. Are they any US acredited schools (from 4th grade to high school) in D.R. in which my kids will be able to study and then later come back to the US and move on to Universties without any issues?

those are my top 2 concerns now... Please excuse if I sound sort of naive on status of the advances of my native country but I am so why hide it...

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...

Thank you,

Indy

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Several private schools in Santo Domingo as US accredited - check the Living Forum for more information.

Some employers pay in dollars, yes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Kind of depends on where you will be living.
In Santo Domingo, there are companies that pay reasonable salaries for very talented people...but not likely to a middle aged woman, unfortunately, unless your skill set is pretty unique.

Schools oriented to US university standards are countable on one hand, generally speaking. Carol Morgan, Abraham Lincoln, and maybe one or two more....

You will be advised to come and rent for a while, unless you already have your house.
Good idea.

Also good to think about going through university here and doing graduate studies there...save a bundle of money that way.

HB

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If I may ask,
What work would you like to do?
Do you speak Dominican? (A bit like Spanish but with some of the letter missing)
Any do you have family here? (May or may not be an advantage)

Last edited:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
it seems you have more than one kid as you use the plural, for the kinds of school you need it is going to cost more than your rent and i am assuming you will need a "job". no "job" in the DR pays enough money to afford these private schools. it doesn't matter if they pay in pesos or dolllars, it matters how many pesos. some US companies will pay tuition for US employees children, but these are engineers, senior business types, doctors, etc. somebody with some very special training. bi-lingual secretaries we got, teachers we got, and they can't send their kids to carroll morgan. you live in south fla., the plane from miami is cheap and only an hour and fifty minutes, come on over and investigate, a lot.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Welcome to DR 1
to the OP
may I ask why the sudden interest in coming to DR and what city is that your looking to come back to....I too was in your shoes but never pass my mind to be employed by any one but my self as per my income requirement to maintain my middle class life style was higher then what many professionals here make..only a business owner here could make a mid 70kusd per year income..I dont know any DR company that pays 250,000rd per month to any employee.....
just for you to know.. good education for your kinds and for you to save for college for them requires a surplus in your income not just money to survive..which some of us have agree that can be done with about 1300usd per month...

indy2273

Jul 1, 2009
Kind of depends on where you will be living.
In Santo Domingo, there are companies that pay reasonable salaries for very talented people...but not likely to a middle aged woman, unfortunately, unless your skill set is pretty unique.

Schools oriented to US university standards are countable on one hand, generally speaking. Carol Morgan, Abraham Lincoln, and maybe one or two more....

You will be advised to come and rent for a while, unless you already have your house.
Good idea.

Also good to think about going through university here and doing graduate studies there...save a bundle of money that way.

HB

That statement right there leads me to believe that the Dominican society still has long ways to go... what does age have to do with skillset? Or are you saying that skillset is thrown aside and means little when you are a young 20 something?

Nevermind, don't answer that...

If I may ask,
What work would you like to do?
Do you speak Dominican? (A bit like Spanish but with some of the letter missing)
Any do you have family here? (May or may not be an advantage)

I am fully bilingual, I have stayed true to my roots and don't stand much for the Spanglish some of us acquire once in the US... As far as work I am open, I have a very strong resume...

I do have family in Dominican Republic but I still thought I will come in here and ask some questions... and sadly from the post above I see not a lot has changed from when I left... LOL

it seems you have more than one kid as you use the plural, for the kinds of school you need it is going to cost more than your rent and i am assuming you will need a "job". no "job" in the DR pays enough money to afford these private schools. it doesn't matter if they pay in pesos or dolllars, it matters how many pesos. some US companies will pay tuition for US employees children, but these are engineers, senior business types, doctors, etc. somebody with some very special training. bi-lingual secretaries we got, teachers we got, and they can't send their kids to carroll morgan. you live in south fla., the plane from miami is cheap and only an hour and fifty minutes, come on over and investigate, a lot.

hmmm ok thanks...

Welcome to DR 1
to the OP
may I ask why the sudden interest in coming to DR and what city is that your looking to come back to....I too was in your shoes but never pass my mind to be employed by any one but my self as per my income requirement to maintain my middle class life style was higher then what many professionals here make..only a business owner here could make a mid 70kusd per year income..I dont know any DR company that pays 250,000rd per month to any employee.....
just for you to know.. good education for your kinds and for you to save for college for them requires a surplus in your income not just money to survive..which some of us have agree that can be done with about 1300usd per month...

Just curiosity, I lived very well when I was in D.R. and if "who you know" and "who your family is" still is the way the cookie crumbles in our country then I will have no issues in certain areas... being self employed is another option its just a matter of finding something that will be lucrative and that will allow me to have the life I am used to...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Please investigate the schools, just because it is an International school linked with the US does not mean that it is good.
My kids went to an International school last year and this year I am sending them to a private Dominican school (with much better teachers and educational standards).
This "US linked International school" that I sent my kids to was a waste of money and a waste of a year of my kids education.
A teacher asked my 6 y.o. son to copy the sentence "The ball is my" for his homework...That's not rocket science, it's kindergarten!!!!
Ask the teachers in the area where they send their kids...you'll find a good school that way.
Commute to your job, Miami is not that far. I travel to NYC....
SHALENA

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm inclined to delete the 'race' posts, or move them to the debates forum - but remember that these discussions are discouraged on dr1 because it has all been said before and it just ends up in arguments and personal attacks. That's why most Mods stay out of these arguments these days.

But when I looked back, the points raised by mountainannie, AlterEgo and the OP were not just about race/colour but what they identified as age discrimination in employment practices. Why did everyone have to jump on the race wagon again?

In any case, what I came in here to say was please let's keep this to topic - i.e. advising the OP on returning to the DR. If you want a debate, there is a forum for it called DR Debates but I suspect it will not last long. I'm getting tired of all this repetition and I'm sure the other mods are too.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
And as for the orginal OP -- about employment opportunities here, I would also second what another poster said that salaries are very low here but opportunities abound. Of course it is tricky with children and their education and so much depends on how much money one has - since if you actually have enough to buy your house or apartment outright here, you will not be faced with ongoing real estate taxes that will cripple you, or health insurance costs that will ditto, and you will have help at home and a sorta kinder gentler way of life. I think there are a lot of opportunities here, but I don't know about a salaried employee....

But if you are a teacher, for instance, you might get free tuition for your kids.

If you have extended family here and some capital, it could be a very good move.