Boat Purchase

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
I am considering purchasing a boat, around a 30 to 35 footer. I am somewhat suspect on purchasing one that has been in the DR.

I have a couple of questions.
1. Best approach to searching for boats available here?
2. If purchased in the states, what taxes would I be liable for here?
3. Approximate transportation costs from the states to DR?

Thanks in advance for any input

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to purchase a boat here in the DR the Club Nauticus in Boca Chica is a good place to look for.
i would assume the north coast also has it's spot, but i am not familiar on the theme in case of the northshore, somebody else may bring that in.
purchasing a boat in the US and drive it over here is what we do mostly when a new baby is due to be born, but you should have experience on the not uncomplicated procedures of that to do so without big hassles.
a crew to drive a boat over from the US i.e. from the Florida east coast costs 3-7K'sUS$, depending on size of the boat and number of crew members used plus fuel/crew immigrations-customs fees aso.
onlu the office of the secretary for customs can tell you what amount of taxes apply for a specific brand/model/size of boat.
you have to 'import' that boat so you would get the dominican papers, named "matricula".
if you do not have experience with importation of vehicles i would recommend to purchase a boat here which already has it's dominican documents up to date renewed, more expensive than the same brand/model/size in the US, but no more transportation/importation taxes/costs involved.
good luck
Mike

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Yep, not going to import. Taxes way to high. Need motor cruiser type.

Thanks for the input.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
motor cruisers in acceptable condition are a bit rare overe here, not used that often.
take also a look on the Puerto Rican market,
even still the flag change/import tax applies, very low costs for the transfer of the vehicle over here.
Mike

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks. I have looked there as well. We are actually looking for small cruiser. Under 35ft. I just had mentioned the motor as others were suggested sailing vessels.