Thread: Boat Purchase

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Purchase

I am considering purchasing a boat, around a 30 to 35 footer. I am somewhat suspect on purchasing one that has been in the DR.

I have a couple of questions.
    1. Best approach to searching for boats available here?
    2. If purchased in the states, what taxes would I be liable for here?
    3. Approximate transportation costs from the states to DR?

Thanks in advance for any input

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

to purchase a boat here in the DR the Club Nauticus in Boca Chica is a good place to look for.
    i would assume the north coast also has it's spot, but i am not familiar on the theme in case of the northshore, somebody else may bring that in.
    purchasing a boat in the US and drive it over here is what we do mostly when a new baby is due to be born, but you should have experience on the not uncomplicated procedures of that to do so without big hassles.
    a crew to drive a boat over from the US i.e. from the Florida east coast costs 3-7K'sUS$, depending on size of the boat and number of crew members used plus fuel/crew immigrations-customs fees aso.
    onlu the office of the secretary for customs can tell you what amount of taxes apply for a specific brand/model/size of boat.
    you have to 'import' that boat so you would get the dominican papers, named "matricula".
    if you do not have experience with importation of vehicles i would recommend to purchase a boat here which already has it's dominican documents up to date renewed, more expensive than the same brand/model/size in the US, but no more transportation/importation taxes/costs involved.
    good luck
    Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Send a PM to AlaninDR. He has a nice catamaran on the north coast that he might part with.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You could also google search Bruce Van Sant Luperon and contact him via his website.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Gil, from Luperon, should be the answer to most of your questions. His website:
    Caribbean Oceanfront Real Estate! ~ North Coast Dominican Republic ~ Punta Alma Luperon

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, not going to import. Taxes way to high. Need motor cruiser type.

Thanks for the input.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

motor cruisers in acceptable condition are a bit rare overe here, not used that often.
    take also a look on the Puerto Rican market,
    even still the flag change/import tax applies, very low costs for the transfer of the vehicle over here.
    Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have looked there as well. We are actually looking for small cruiser. Under 35ft. I just had mentioned the motor as others were suggested sailing vessels.