Skydiving in the DR

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Hey all,

I have searched high and low and have found limited info. Thought I'd look here. Does anyone have any info on skydiving/handgliding/parasailing in the DR? Who, what, where, when...

I have used the DR1 search function. There was limited info. So, if anyone has any clues. I have heard that in Jarabacoa or Samana there is some stuff, but I would appreciate any more info...

Mr. Lu

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There is a group of guys who use parasails with big fans/propellers behind them, who meet to fly along the Malecon in Santo Domingo. They launch from the ground with the ocean breezes and take off to fly. This is somewhere between the bottom of Winston Churchill (near the huacales with the botellas) and the Trujillo monument, along the ocean.

Don't know what days - maybe occasional Sundays? Whenever they are there, there is always a crowd watching them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have a judo student that parasails....let me ask him when I see him...

also, go ask the guys in the Air Force(?) that do sky diving...just down the street...
HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've seen the hang-gliders in Constanza and in the mountains above Ban? or Azua.

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
If you are in the Punta Cana area go to the air port and ask for Lars.. Just outside of the airport he has a skydive centre.. Ask one of the larger hotels in the area or contact the information at the airport. Sorry I don't have a number for you.. it has been a while since we have seen him.. Good luck... have fun

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you are seriously interested in it go to the States for a couple days for a course and get trained well, and then you will then need to worry about equipment and who to jump with(and plane rates and availability of course). I no longer jump after my own parachute accident nor does my brother, but with over 700 free fall military jumps with Delta Force, Green Berets, SAS, Seals, and civilian competitive professionals, etc. my brother knows the deal and I can put you in touch with him if you want.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
It's been a long time since I jumped in the DR. The guy that used to do it was training the dominican spec for troops at San Isidro. I jumped with him and group of the dominican jumpers during the 50th anniversary of the armed forces. I wish I still had his number though I wouldn't mind doing it again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
every now and then a group of some dudes comes over to DR to do skydiving courses and jumps. in 2007 and 2008 they were in samana.
you could also do a tandem jump at a hefty price of 300 dollars. seemed way too much too me but then i know nothing about costs of such sport in USA/europe.
see da link to old DR news: Dominican Republic Travel News - January 30, 2007

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

It's been a long time since I jumped in the DR. The guy that used to do it was training the dominican spec for troops at San Isidro. I jumped with him and group of the dominican jumpers during the 50th anniversary of the armed forces. I wish I still had his number though I wouldn't mind doing it again.

Is there anyway you could get the contact info or at least a name? I am trying to get as much information as possible and "investigating." Any leads would be much appreciated. If I can at least talk to one person then I can get the ball rolling.

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

If you are in the Punta Cana area go to the air port and ask for Lars.. Just outside of the airport he has a skydive centre.. Ask one of the larger hotels in the area or contact the information at the airport. Sorry I don't have a number for you.. it has been a while since we have seen him.. Good luck... have fun

Hey Stuart,

Does Stuart have a last name or is he the only Stuart there?? Just wondering if they will know who I am asking for, if I only ask for his name. Is he a foreigner or a local??

Cheers,

Mr. Lu

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Cool bro..

If you are seriously interested in it go to the States for a couple days for a course and get trained well, and then you will then need to worry about equipment and who to jump with(and plane rates and availability of course). I no longer jump after my own parachute accident nor does my brother, but with over 700 free fall military jumps with Delta Force, Green Berets, SAS, Seals, and civilian competitive professionals, etc. my brother knows the deal and I can put you in touch with him if you want.

Chip,

I am not ready for that just yet. But I appreciate the offer. That would be something for a few years down the line. I am serious about jumping, but going to the States just to jump would be difficult.

If I may ask, what was your accident? What happened? Any lasting injuries??

Mr. Lu

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,

I am not ready for that just yet. But I appreciate the offer. That would be something for a few years down the line. I am serious about jumping, but going to the States just to jump would be difficult.

If I may ask, what was your accident? What happened? Any lasting injuries??

Mr. Lu

I broke my back but other than pain when I don't stay fit no problems really.