Extracta De Acta

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Hi everyone - this is such a great forum. So much information.

I posted in another thread earlier but I may have done so wrongly. My query is as follows:

I was married in Dominican Republic in 2001 and we are now divorcing (living in Ireland). For a long time the marriage certificate could not be found but now the other party to the divorce (wife??) has produced a document titled Extracto De Acta. This does not have our signatures. Does anyone know if this is the marriage certificate? Also, if so, is there a way that I can prove this is authentic? I would not be surprised if she obtained someone elses document and doctored it!!

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I remember the marriage certificate does not have signatures. There are two versions. A simple typed one which I think is the one you have, and a longer more formal one called in extensa. You need the latter for anything legal, such as changing names, passports etc.

matilda

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks for your reply Matilda.

I don't understand how she obtained this as I don't recall us following up on anything whilst in DR. Would this have been given to us after the ceremony? Do you know if this document in legally binding?

Thanks again.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We had to sign a marriage certificate when we got married, however, when you ask for a certificate from the recorders office they give you a document with all the pertinent info but no signatures.

When you got married no doubt someone submitted the documents on your behalf.

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Hi Chip

Thanks for your post. Can you tell me if your Certificate is an Extracto De Acto or did you get a long version - I think In Extensa is the term used?

Antonio

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hi Chip

Thanks for your post. Can you tell me if your Certificate is an Extracto De Acto or did you get a long version - I think In Extensa is the term used?

Antonio

I have a certificado de matrimonio, extracta de acta and an acta in extensa de matrimonio and they are all one page documents. Since the info is recorded all one has to do is tell the recorder what type of document they need.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
maybe it depends how and where you are married. We were married in a civil ceremony here and we signed a large marriage book. We then we given the extracta de acta which is a one page typed document and had to order the in extensa - 8 copies which we use for all legal purposes. I would have thought that the extracta de acta should be Ok for you, but if in doubt ask your ex to get the in extensa copy.

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks everyone.

I'm kinda hoping that the Extracto de Acta is not sufficient and not legal as this may help with an annulment.

Any ideas?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks everyone.

I'm kinda hoping that the Extracto de Acta is not sufficient and not legal as this may help with an annulment.

Any ideas?

No chance unfortunately, she can easily order the en extensa document, assuming that the document is legally recorded.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you want to be certain that the document is legal, send my friend a private mesage and he can give you a price to verify. He is a licensed PI here in the DR and Virginia - lajackael.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Another option. Did you register the wedding with the office of births, marriages and deaths in Ireland? I have been trying to find this out for other people but with little success. Weddings in the Dominican republic are legal, but you should arrange for translation of the marriage certificate and take it back to the UK (or Eire) in order for it to be recorded there. Otherwise there is no legal record of you being married in your home country. This would affect pensions, benefits etc.

Maybe worth checking it out with a lawyer there.

matidla

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Matilda

It is not necessary to register the marriage in Ireland as we acknowledge DR marriages. I got this information from the Citizens Information site (www.citizensinformation.ie) text as follows:

If you or your partner are an Irish citizen(s) and are thinking of getting married outside of Ireland, you should realise that the legal validity of your marriage is governed, in part, by the laws of the country in which you marry. In most, if not all cases, the legal formalities abroad are very different to those in Ireland. For example, a church marriage abroad is usually a purely religious ceremony with no legal effect. Because it is not recognised in law in the country in which it takes place, it cannot be regarded as a legal marriage in Ireland. This is the case even though a marriage in the same church or denomination in Ireland can be legally binding.

It is very important, therefore, that you make sure to meet all the legal requirements of the country you are marrying in. You should contact the relevant embassy or the religious authorities in that country to find out what is required. View a list of Irish embassies and consulates abroad here.

Thanks for all your input on this. I really need to find out of the document we have is legal as I have only received a faxed copy.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Spouses have to sign the marriage register when they marry in the Dominican Republic . The register is kept at the Civil Registry (Oficial?a de Estado Civil). The Civil Registrar (Oficial de Estado Civil) issues "extractos", etc. based on the Civil Registry. These extracts, etc. are certified and signed by the Civil Registrar and are valid as evidence of its contents.

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Mr Guzman

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my earlier post. Do you know if there is a way of checking if the Extracto I have been presented with is a legitimate copy without having to travel to the Dominican Republic to verify.

Antonio

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Thank you again Mr Guzman.

Is this a service that your company offers or do I need to look elsewhere?