prettiest village

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
What is the prettiest little village you have seen in the DR? (I am thinking of retiring to the DR in another year or so and am looking for somewhere QUIET and peaceful and very green. Pine trees are a serious plus. I can speak Spanish and am learning Haitian Creole. I don't need an expensive house or even electricity, for that matter, just so long as the location is quiet and peaceful and very pretty.) Where do you suggest? Thanks!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe somewhere like Los Cacaos in the mountains of San Cristobal or Paraiso in the SW? For pine trees, the Constanza area?

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
on the road from Luperon to LA Isabela there are some of the prettiest villages that I have seen the DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
BUENA Vista on the way to Jarabacoa is pastoral, pines trees, small but close to La Vega and about 10 km to Jarabacoa.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think San Jose de Ocha is lovely, ditto Matas de Farfan, I also have a thing for Pedernales and the fantastic pine forest above it overlooking Haiti. I long to get out of the Capital and move up to the serenity of the small village but alas, I fear that I would miss the ocassional scrabble game, the international library, the every once in a while cinema. I did a year and a half in Las Terrenas five years ago with no car, when my biggest excursion was to buy goat feed with a friend in Nagua...... sooooo I know a bit of what I speak... BUT... not to say that it CAN't be done... just know that you are going to be a bit of an odd duck in the prettiest village, unless, of course, you are dominican? Everyone is going to know everything about you and you are going to be all alone, very alone, completely and utterly alone........could you handle that?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Villa Trina
San Jose de las Matas
Moncion
Guananico
are all picturesque.

HB

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Always glad to see San Jose de las Matas make the short list. Of course I was a Matero for a few years, but I can vouch for it's vistas and relaxed pace of life.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
FILE21164.JPG

Villa of Juncalito in Janico, Santiago...

Where the Spanish colonists settled away from the big cities...

EA8.jpg

EA0.jpg

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
Thanks, everyone, for all your suggestions! I will be down in the D.R. soon to start looking around!

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Loma de Cabrera

Loma de Cabrera (Dajabon) near the Haitian border is nice.

Tropicdude

May 26, 2009
Although I havent been there in years, San Jose de las Matas, has always stayed in my memory as a really nice town, Lots of trees, clean, Oak trees with moss on them, a river ( that I tried panning for gold in ). if you like hiking, a trail to Pico Duarte is not that far from there. nights are cooler than in the city.

JaraChica

Nov 9, 2011
www.squidoo.com
BUENA Vista on the way to Jarabacoa is pastoral, pines trees, small but close to La Vega and about 10 km to Jarabacoa.

Uhh..I live in Jarabacoa and I wouldn't recommend Buena Vista to anyone retiring here!

Jarabacoa if great and Constanza I think is even nicer. In fact, on the road to Constanza there are smaller towns that are gorgeous, we are eve thinking of relocating up that way.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Uhh..I live in Jarabacoa and I wouldn't recommend Buena Vista to anyone retiring here!

Jarabacoa if great and Constanza I think is even nicer. In fact, on the road to Constanza there are smaller towns that are gorgeous, we are eve thinking of relocating up that way.

Why? I have friend that live off the main road about 300 meters ( just after the school) and it's very quiet, and according to them safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.