A family's plea for help

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Yesterday a house in the Callejon de la Loma, Cabarete, completely burnt down to the ground. The house was owned by Junior, who works in the barber shop in the Plaza Mora in the front end of the Callejon de la Loma. I am sure that there are many DR1 friends that know Junior as it is the most popular barber shops in Cabarete and Junior is there everyday working his butt off.
Junior, his wife and their two children, a 4 year old girl and an 8 month old boy lost absolutely everything they own.
I am reaching out to you all to try and help in some way. I am looking for donations of any type and would much appreciate it if you could help me to help them. A local politician is working to try and find a house for them, I would like to help this needy family in whatever way I can which is why I have turned to the DR1 community.
If you have any old furniture, electronics, kitchenware, linens, towels, clothing, toys, baby items or anything you would like to donate please let me know. These folks have nothing and so anything you could donate would be something for them.
If you can help in some way please PM me and leave me your contact details. I will contact you as soon as possible.
Many thanks.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Nothing is too small, bedsheets, towels, toys, clothes...anything you can think of.
Come on guys, lets try and get some stuff together for this family in need.
Cheers.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
How is this going? Have they managed to get a home yet? What donations have been given? Thought an update on your efforts would be nice for those who have donated.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I have received two donations, a cash donation by a very caring person and another person has kindly promised some articles of clothing.
The family are doing as well as can be expected. There are numerous people assisting them. For the moment they are in temporary accommodation until a permanent home can be found for them.
I think that the DR1 community can do a lot more to help if they could just take time to go through their closets and pull out anything they no longer use, whether it be clothing, household items, baby gear, toys etc.
My post has had over 200 views but only two people have been kind enough to contact me. Please take a quick look around your house and pull out anything you no longer need.

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yesterday a house in the Callejon de la Loma, Cabarete, completely burnt down to the ground. The house was owned by Junior, who works in the barber shop in the Plaza Mora in the front end of the Callejon de la Loma. I am sure that there are many DR1 friends that know Junior as it is the most popular barber shops in Cabarete and Junior is there everyday working his butt off.
Junior, his wife and their two children, a 4 year old girl and an 8 month old boy lost absolutely everything they own.
I am reaching out to you all to try and help in some way. I am looking for donations of any type and would much appreciate it if you could help me to help them. A local politician is working to try and find a house for them, I would like to help this needy family in whatever way I can which is why I have turned to the DR1 community.
If you have any old furniture, electronics, kitchenware, linens, towels, clothing, toys, baby items or anything you would like to donate please let me know. These folks have nothing and so anything you could donate would be something for them.
If you can help in some way please PM me and leave me your contact details. I will contact you as soon as possible.
Many thanks.

Tee,
great to see that you care and try to help the family.
my Mrs is right now at the closet to check what fits for the lil Gal and for the parents. sorrily no baby clothing in the house.
please drop me a e-mail on
mike@mikesmarina.info
so we can arrange how to send what my wife digs out.
i am located in punta cana.
go on, great stuff
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i also just dropped you a PM.
get me the directions and i will have a full case of stuff send by Metro first thing in the morning.
it is jeans and shorts, shoes and flippers, blouses and t shirts for the man and the woman and the 4 years ole daughter, some toothbrushes and some toys.
for the little baby i could sorrily only include some fluffy puppies to let him sleep better in new company.

the 'envio' will be a brown suitcase.
Mike

Reactions: Expat13

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i also just dropped you a PM.
get me the directions and i will have a full case of stuff send by Metro first thing in the morning.
it is jeans and shorts, shoes and flippers, blouses and t shirts for the man and the woman and the 4 years ole daughter, some toothbrushes and some toys.
for the little baby i could sorrily only include some fluffy puppies to let him sleep better in new company.

the 'envio' will be a brown suitcase.
Mike

Ggood for you Mike!!! you have a good heart. I am too new to the country to have unused items at this stage but will also put some serious thought into how to help

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just realized on the profile that Tee not been online since midnight.
maybe working or what so ever on a lovely sunday.
keep it going guys,
there's a huge community posting from the north daily,
where arttha?
Mike

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Thanks guys...lets try and keep them coming. A quick update, the local community has really got together on this one and are helping out the family any way they can. Enough money has been raised so that they can purchase a couple of beds and some new clothing and a few household items.
Hopefully in the next couple of weeks thet may have a permanent home which is looking more and more likely thanks to a local politician.
A special thank you for those that have already donated or have promised to donate. A big thanks to Mike for kindly sending goodies as far away as Punta Cana, I look forward to giving the family your package.

captain2002

Mar 30, 2006
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Tee, I read this yesterday and had our directors vote on a financial donation for Jr. $200.00 will be wired to a Beyond The Beach Committee member tomorrow in POP and she will deliver along with any other hard donations she has collected from tourists.

I gave her this thread so she can contact you re where to go.

Lets keep it coming, and thanks for posting this tragedy so all who can will help this poor family.

Regards, Chris Willott,
V.P. Beyond The Beach Childrens Foundation.

Beyond The Beach Children's Foundation

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Chris....thanks a million. It is so nice to see people out there that care. I have sent you my contact details via PM.
I hope that we can keep this going folks.....you are all fantastic.

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Tee, I can donate an used refrigerator(large) but works perfectly and a double bed with mattress, unfortunately i do not have transportation...
Coralia"BB"

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Coralia....thanks very much, that would be fantastic. I will send you a private message with my contact details so that I can make arrangements for collection.
Thanks to you all...

Last edited:
BTBCF donation sent via Western Union

Yesterday BTBCF wired our contact in the Puerto Plata area $200 US as a donation to help the children of Junior.

We were very proud to be able to help in this situation.

BTBCF is only able to do things like this because of the support given by members of this and other Dominican related forums.

Our Projects page
http://www.beyondthebeach.ca/projects.htm

Mikefisher and his wife Tania, a member of these forums and a BTBCF committee member from Cabeza de Toro (Punta Cana) has also put together a large box of clothing for Junior and his family and shipped it to Cabarete at his own expense.
Well done Mike and thanks for thinking about the Children, we are proud to have you on board with us at BTBCF.

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
You are welcome Tee, also i have a stove...its old, but it works ok! will contact on Friday , hugs and will hear from yeh...
thanks to all others whom are so helpful..
Coralia"BB"

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Tony,
when they finally settled at their new place post us a foto of the family.
looking forward to meet you and your wife in PC soon.
i will have some cold ones and some fishies or chicken ready.
Mike