Can I rent a car with a temporary license?

dominicangirl29

Apr 26, 2009
I did a search in the site but I didn't find the answer I was looking for, I will be going to DR in the weekend of july 11 and I was wondering if I could rent a car with a temporary permit/license.

any help will be appreciate it!

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I did a search in the site but I didn't find the answer I was looking for, I will be going to DR in the weekend of july 11 and I was wondering if I could rent a car with a temporary permit/license.

Well, when I rented a car at the airport, They didn't even take a look at my DL, just took a copy of it. I guess as long as I had a credit card, I could give them a library card instead of my driver license - they wouldn't care.
I also rented a car in Puerto Plata 2-3 times.
The second time - when I wanted to give him my DL - he said it's not necessary, I remember you..
It might be a problem in a case of accident though.
Are you going to drive by yourself, or have a company of someone with a regular DL? In this case you can drive legally.
One of my young employee has a learner permit and I had to ask him to drive because I had to pay attention of a live data on a diagnostic computer. When we got stopped at a PN-Amet check point they asked his license and since the limitations, they asked me if I had one. I showed them my US license and there was no more problem.

The Hun

dominicangirl29

Apr 26, 2009
thanks for the info, I will be traveling by myself, and if I rent it would be for just 2 days, can you pay cash? or does it have to be paid with a credit car? or can I pay with debit card? I don't use credit card, I want no debt, I know that if I get one I will be in debt so I play it safe, does it help if I am dominican? I don't know if I am asking the wrong questions, but if someone can clear some of this questions for me, I will thank you!:squareeye

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
thanks for the info,...........or can I pay with debit card?.........

To the best of my knowledge, no credit card means no rent a car. With a driving permit aren't you technically supposed to have someone with a valid driver's license in the car with you at all times?

Don't take a chance, you may regret it one day.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

Forgive me please dominicangirl29 if this sounds rude & presumptive ...... it is NOT meant that way. It is purely a cautionary comment for you to consider!!

IF you are only holding a temporary Licence the chances are fairly high that your EXPERIENCE at driving may be limited. I don't mean 'BAD', 'Erratic' or 'lacking in judgment' ........... just 'limited' in experience as to those things that can (& do all too often down here) cause need for fast decisions & evasive action. A NATURAL, non thinking reaction is necessary when driving here, not one where a conscious thought process can be implemented! ;) :ermm:

Regardless of whether you will be permitted to rent a car/suv from any Rental Company, may I urge you to be extra sensitive as to 'thinking this through' .... ask yourself "do I NEED to drive myself & try to rent a vehicle"?

If you decide "YES, I DO need to rent a vehicle" & should you find someone who will accept cash with additional security lodged, then please be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you have VALID fully COMPREHENSIVE insurance cover with easy access to the 'Get out of jail quick lawyer'. :surprised :paranoid: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Usually rental car companies will only accept credit cards. If your debit card is a VISA debit card, you should be OK.

Now while I logically would second what Grahame has to say, I have experience in driving with someone who learned to drive here--- with all the worst habits of Dominican drivers - ie. making a right hand turn from the left lane in front of another car, not stopping at intersections, driving too fast on highways, tailgating, leaning on the horn. I kept letting him drive because I reasoned that he needed the experience (which he clearly did!) and I kept trying to correct (gently, oh so gently) but finally, in Bani, I figured that it was just not worth the cost to my own health and he was going to have to learn by obsevation. So if the OP has learned to drive in the STates or anywhere a fuera, he may not be prepared, but he is probably a better driver. (My apologies to the Natives on the Board, I attribute it to your simnply not having had cars for that long and therefore not being taught by your fathers!)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I must agree with Grahame and mountainannie. Unless you absoloutly MUST drive yourself it is better to have someone else drive you for a while until you get used to the "different" style of Dominican driving. Again, no offence intended here but there are 2 things I haven't seen in my years here

1) a copy of the highway code for sale
2) a school of motoring vehicle

I'm sure everyone is just concerned for your safety

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

Does your temp lic. have your photo on it? or is it a card with just your info on it until you receive the actual license?

I would also recommend what the other posters are stating about letting someone else do the driving, if you are not an experienced driver.

dominicangirl29

Apr 26, 2009
I want to thank you all for your help, and I am going to take all of your suggestions into consideration, to answer some of the questions, my debit card it's a VISA, and my temporary license has a picture ID, I learned to drive here in the states, but I am well aware of the driving in the DR, I actually drove in the DR before coming to the states, but not for a long time because I shortly came to the states, and also I will be in the campo in montecristi, so I will really drive in the highway from STI to the campo and from the campo to STI