World Happiness Rankings: DR #2

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Economists said the richer countries came lower in the ranking because of the high carbon footprint of the population, measured by looking at how much of the world's resources people consume per capita.

Peculiar way of judging a country's "happiness".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dios, Patria y Libertad have been replaced by "What, me worry?"

Alfred E. Newman lives here!!

He lives in a big house in Santo Domingo called the National Palace and all of his cousins are nearby, counting his successes..

HB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've just read the article. Have to agree with insanelyOne about their measuring techniques but I for one am much happier here than I was in the UK so maybe there's something in it!!!!!!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Just read the article. Being that the D.R is rated #2 in happy people, for sure you would think Haiti would at least rank in the top 5. This is such a jolly jolly island. I see happy jubilant people everywhere I go.

B

BettyDiamond

some of us enjoy being miserable

CHA053.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just read the article. Being that the D.R is rated #2 in happy people, for sure you would think Haiti would at least rank in the top 5. This is such a jolly jolly island. I see happy jubilant people everywhere I go.

Honestly, you can't judge Dominicans mood such as happiness by their facial expressions. This is something that at first misleads many an expat and foreigner. Fact is, Dominicans are much more civil and generally genial that any of their Western counterparts by far. Of course their are exceptions, like in the tourist areas, but mainly due to factor such as the language barrier - but among themselves Dominicans have few equals in this regard. This is actually something that is very valued in this society, the appearance of civility, and the celebration of civilized and genial conversation - something we lost back in the 50's or even before.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009

I don't know you well enough to tell, but I hope that's sarcasm.

If not, maybe you're onto something. I'll throw out a few of my thoughts:

Maybe people are SO HAPPY here, they just can't stand it. That's surely why MOST people, if given a legal and safe option, would LEAVE the country to live in another. "Youth in the Dominican Republic were most likely to want to move with 82% responding that, with the right means, they would migrate." http://media.gallup.com/WorldPoll/PDF/SpecialAdvisorReport06.21.07.pdf For the overall population, I've heard 2/3 but am too lazy to find the stat right now.

Also, what about the 'ignorance is bliss' theory? The educational system here could possibly be so great that it helps people to be happier by not supporting students in realizing their full potential, thus saving them from so much un-needed disappointment later in life.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so whats in the top slot, I couldnt be bothered to look ....I beleive the last time a read one it was Vanuatu

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
"Youth in the Dominican Republic were most likely to want to move with 82% responding that, with the right means, they would migrate."

This is quite true, however, anybody who lives here and speaks the language would understand this hardly tells the whole story. Fact is Dominicans have a culture that is very wrapped around NY and to them it is the promised land and want to get there at all cost. Does that mean they will be happier in the States? Not necessarily, but the majority won't tell you that as they have more to gain by keeping it to themselves. Nonetheless, if it is such why do so many Dominicans who have the means choose to retire here in the DR or return frequently after they retire?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I can say I'm happier here in the DR. Even if my wife left me I don't know if I'd return to the States, especially if I could find some regular golf partners.

Many Dominicans will tell you the reason they are leaving because no hay cualto. But, that being said if they can round some up somehow in nuevayol, they are glad to return back home.

What is not to like? Exceptionally friendly people (excepting customer service of course - what a conudrum that), beautiful weather year round, unhurried lifestyle and things are relatively cheap.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Life Satisfaction Worldwide
lifesatisfactionworldwi.jpg

lifesatisfactionworldwi.jpg

Ecological Footprint Worldwide
ecologicalfootprintworl.jpg

ecologicalfootprintworl.jpg

2nd Place: Dominican Republic
dominicanrepublic.jpg

Calculating the HPI
calculatingthehpi.jpg

calculatingthehpi1.jpg

calculatingthehpi2.jpg

calculatingthehpi3.jpg

calculatingthehpi4.jpg

Read the rest of the calculation and report explanation here.

-NALs

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Adrian White, from the University of Leicester?s School of Psychology, analysed previously published data to create a global projection of subjective well-being: the first world map of happiness.

The research is based on the findings of over 100 different studies around the world, which questioned 80,000 people worldwide.

The top 10 "happiest" countries:

1. Denmark
2. Switzerland
3. Austria
4. Iceland
5. The Bahamas
6. Finland
7. Sweden
8. Bhutan
9. Brunei
10. Canada

Denmark ended up at the top to "its wealth, natural beauty, small size, quality education, and good health care". At the bottom were the Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe and Burundi.

The U.S. ended up on the 23rd place, the UK on 41, China is 82, Japan 90, and India an unhappy 125.

Here is the map of happiness around the world (the darker red, the merrier):

3217992625_8a41046cf4_o.jpg

The original research paper can be found here.

The Road to the Horizon: The happiest countries in the world