Portable air conditioning units...are they available here

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
In the U.S., you can purchase a/c units that you can take from room to room as needed and run the heat exhaust line through a small hole in the wall or through the window with a special kit that can be purchased. They are very efficient, on rollers,not expensive and run on standard voltage energy. Has anyone purchased one of these here and where. I have been looking to no avail. Plaza Lama said they used to carry them years ago, but not now. Any help would be appreciated. They are very convenient.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
In the U.S., you can purchase a/c units that you can take from room to room as needed and run the heat exhaust line through a small hole in the wall or through the window with a special kit that can be purchased. They are very efficient, on rollers,not expensive and run on standard voltage energy. Has anyone purchased one of these here and where. I have been looking to no avail. Plaza Lama said they used to carry them years ago, but not now. Any help would be appreciated. They are very convenient.

I have one and several of my friends have them...work well...
I purchased it at furniture store on Mella,in SD a few years ago...they have them at several air conditioning stores,as well as the large fereteria on Kennedy,right near Churchill...forget the name at the moment..

bob

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004

I have one I am not using in Santiago. I took it with me on American Airlines, paid an overweight charge. It works great, but I can only use it when there is electricity. The problem is that it has electronic controls and it shuts off every time the electricity go out, then I have to turn it back on when the electricity returns. I may get another one with manual controls.

If you want to buy it, PM me.

I will eventually put in a split system when if and when I live there full time.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
At PriceMart the cooling grave stones sell in the 20K's (DOP) (6-700's USD).
HomeDepot and BrandsMart USA (SE Florida) last week: in the $ 200's.
The problem is always the hot air exhaust tube (door/window) and not forgetting to empty the water tank which would fill up quite rapidly in the DR's humid environment.
The old "MotorInn"-style window AC's seem a viable and much cheaper alternative (PriceMart has them aroun 6-7K at times... for a unit that costs about 89.99 in the US). Very efficient too.

.. J-D.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The problem is always the hot air exhaust tube (door/window) and not forgetting to empty the water tank which would fill up quite rapidly in the DR's humid environment.

.. J-D.

Running a water hose outside is a must!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Running a water hose outside is a must!

i would imagine because of the humidity this is definately a MUST!
i've never seen a portable unit in my visits to DR but...dont these units use up more power than a standard AC? imagine the power bill! yikes! :paranoid:

The portable "grave stone"-style models usually have a water tank, and here is why: You can not run a water hose over the window... water does not run up. If they are used in a room with a door exit to the outside, a hose could be led thru that door, but only to bring in more humidity thru the ajar door.

They are not the least effective units, but as they have to blow the extracted heat out thru the flexible tube... some of that heat warms the room back up.
The most effective units (cooling per KWH) used to be the window units. I would like to think that a good quality split unit would be close too.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
This unit seems to be reasonably priced, and has energy efficiency rating of over 14! Amazon.com: NewAir AC-12000E With 12,000 BTU Cooling Capacity: Electronics

You won't find consumption on Amazon, but elsewhere I found it consumes just 870 W for 12.000 BTU cooling capacity.

It has 5* on Amazon from many buyers (very rare among portable AC units)

And somehow it DOES have what they call a Window Hose.

The window hose is for hot air extraction.
All an AC does is EXTRACT the "energy" - in our case "heat" - from the air and send it somewhere else (generally the outside). Hot (dry) air can be blown thru the hose (which actually is a 5" dia. flexible pipe). In the process, condensation occurs which is being collected led downward in a drip line on built in units or collected in a bin in portable units.

... J-D.