Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Portable air conditioning units...are they available here

In the U.S., you can purchase a/c units that you can take from room to room as needed and run the heat exhaust line through a small hole in the wall or through the window with a special kit that can be purchased. They are very efficient, on rollers,not expensive and run on standard voltage energy. Has anyone purchased one of these here and where. I have been looking to no avail. Plaza Lama said they used to carry them years ago, but not now. Any help would be appreciated. They are very convenient.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    In the U.S., you can purchase a/c units that you can take from room to room as needed and run the heat exhaust line through a small hole in the wall or through the window with a special kit that can be purchased. They are very efficient, on rollers,not expensive and run on standard voltage energy. Has anyone purchased one of these here and where. I have been looking to no avail. Plaza Lama said they used to carry them years ago, but not now. Any help would be appreciated. They are very convenient.
    I have one and several of my friends have them...work well...
    I purchased it at furniture store on Mella,in SD a few years ago...they have them at several air conditioning stores,as well as the large fereteria on Kennedy,right near Churchill...forget the name at the moment..

bob

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    I have one I am not using in Santiago. I took it with me on American Airlines, paid an overweight charge. It works great, but I can only use it when there is electricity. The problem is that it has electronic controls and it shuts off every time the electricity go out, then I have to turn it back on when the electricity returns. I may get another one with manual controls.

If you want to buy it, PM me.

I will eventually put in a split system when if and when I live there full time.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the BTU capacity pf these units and what is the cost?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    What is the BTU capacity pf these units and what is the cost?
    mine is 12000 btu and I paid about 18000 pesos...
    bob

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

These units are being sold in Pricesmart in Santiago. I forget the price but did notice they have several units available.

Post Thanks / Like

PriceSmart in Santo Domingo has them, also. Atleast they did two weeks ago!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

At PriceMart the cooling grave stones sell in the 20K's (DOP) (6-700's USD).
    HomeDepot and BrandsMart USA (SE Florida) last week: in the $ 200's.
    The problem is always the hot air exhaust tube (door/window) and not forgetting to empty the water tank which would fill up quite rapidly in the DR's humid environment.
    The old "MotorInn"-style window AC's seem a viable and much cheaper alternative (PriceMart has them aroun 6-7K at times... for a unit that costs about 89.99 in the US). Very efficient too.

.. J-D.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    The problem is always the hot air exhaust tube (door/window) and not forgetting to empty the water tank which would fill up quite rapidly in the DR's humid environment.

.. J-D.
    Running a water hose outside is a must!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question yes

Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Running a water hose outside is a must!
    i would imagine because of the humidity this is definately a MUST!
    i've never seen a portable unit in my visits to DR but...dont these units use up more power than a standard AC? imagine the power bill! yikes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast