Why live in the Dominican Republic?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A recent study conducted worldwide by the NEF group in their Happy Planet Index work, points to Costa Rica as the Happiest country in the world!

In a close second? Dominican Republic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here an article from CNN news site:
Costa Rica tops list of 'happiest' nations - CNN.com
(CNN) -- Forget Disneyland! Costa Rica is the happiest place in the world, according to an independent research group in Britain with the goal of building a new economy, "centered on people and the environment."

In a report released Saturday, the group ranks nations using the "Happy Planet Index," which seeks countries with the most content people.

In addition to happiness, the index by the New Economics Foundation considers the ecological footprint and life expectancy of countries.

"Costa Ricans report the highest life satisfaction in the world and have the second-highest average life expectancy of the new world (second to Canada)," the organization said in a statement.

They "also have an ecological footprint that means that the country only narrowly fails to achieve the goal of ... consuming its fair share of the Earth's natural resources."
The Central American country, tucked between Nicaragua and Panama, touts its lush rain forests and pristine beaches. Its president, Oscar Arias Sanchez, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1987 for trying to help end civil wars in several Central American countries.

This year's survey, which looked at 143 countries, featured Latin American nations in nine of the Top 10 spots.

The runner-up was the Dominican Republic, followed by Jamaica, Guatemala and Vietnam.

Most developed nations lagged in the study.

Etc...

LOL!!!!!

What's your opinion on this report? Is the DR to be called a "Happy Country"?

More on Home | Happy Planet Index

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes, although I am personally happy here, it does seem like an odd report.

When I forwarded this to my Canadian friend who had recently spent 6 weks here, he started laughing hysterically. Mind you he experienced alot of annoyancew during his visit that obviously has colored his opinion somewhat.

I have also been to Vietnam, and to see them rate as high as well surprises me.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Good point

Someone should really tell the locals how happy they are so they don't keep trying to "escape" on yolas illegally to Neuva York. This is an interesting use of statistics.

Dominican Republic rates--2
USA--114

I see huge American population increase coming to the DR!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Esta es la tierra de Papa Dios... We can share it with all Exp's but is OURS.
Dios, Patria Libertad..

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

That report said there are "high levels of inequities" in the country.

So is that what makes the Dominicans so happy, being crapped upon ?

Or the reason is that the Dominican government payrolls are getting so large, as a group, they now rank as the 2nd Happiest in the World?.

Don

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Who must have been asked??? Makes no sense...the poor and downtrodden were certainly not in this equation...how could they have been...

Just watch the daily news on any local station..

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I laughed at the report too. I have been to costa rica and I live in DR. I think there was a huge error committed by them.
DR should be the #1 happiest country in the world.
I love it here. :)
by the way, #2 should be colombia.
AZB