getting married in the DR -need ur help

angel

Feb 22, 2003
Greetings everyone,

I am looking for assistance on getting married in the DR. I am Canadian (single, never been married) and my boyfriend is Dominican with same single status.
Wondering if there's any Canadians who have recently wed, that can help me with the procedures, help finding a judge and options for our ceremony. We want small and intimate (his family/children), NO all -inclusive resorts ( unless of course this is the cheapest option and there's a church on site to perform a legal wedding). He is from Mao, so we are willing to have this take place anywhere from Santiago, Luperon,and our last choice Playa Dorada.

thanks in advance :)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's a link to what you'll need for the paper work DR1 - Legal

We have members that have married outside the resort and I'm sure they will be happy to give you suggestions

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Wow Moderator.

Everyone deserves a warning, especially when the warnings are written without malice.

Are you sure you're being impartial?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow Moderator.

Everyone deserves a warning, especially when the warnings are written without malice.

Are you sure you're being impartial?

She didn't ask for anyone's opinion on whether she should marry. This isn't mars/venus.

People should learn to answer question asked.

Reactions: drloca

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
My wife arranged her cousin's wedding in Sosua. We are english and he is welsh and was marrying an english girl. They did get married in an AI hotel but we then went to a catholic church to have a blessing which was fantastic. There are some great venues in Sosua, non AI, but it sounds as though we might be a bit out of the area you are looking for. PM me if you would consider Sosua and I'll let you have a couple of links.
I'm afraid you may be in for some negativity but I see a moderator has already tried to squash that! Best of luck to you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Congratulations

Here is a link to a thread that discusses getting married outside an AI resort.
The thread is specific to a Dominican woman and EU man but the info applies to any couple that is dominican & non-dominican.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/visas/91644-marriage-between-dominican-women-eu-man.html

According to that thread as of about 6 months ago it cost 8000 pesos to be married outside of the civil office.

I dont have any suggestions about location as I am not really familiar with santiago or luperon wedding spots.

I can tell you that you need to arrange for a judge to come to your wedding location and you would do that at the JCE office.

JCE.DO - Junta Central Electoral de la Rep?blica Dominicana

AnnaC has already listed the legal requirements for getting married.

Good Luck
Sangria

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Best of Luck - Sincerely meant

Angel

Sincerest Best Wishes for your forth-coming wedding. I am a Brit who has been married to a Dominican for 13 years now and I am very lucky to have found such a diamond as her. I hope you have the same good fortune.

Can't offer any help on the arrangements front, sorry, just my best wishes.

Paul

Reactions: Black Dog

angel

Feb 22, 2003
I expected a few comments about my post and I assume people have the best intentions, if this is true, then I thank you...if it's not shame on you, especially coming from those who may be married to a Dominican.

BTW I have been with my partner for 6 years, he is not a resort worker, nor am I a naive "twenty- something first-timer to the DR". I've been visiting the country over 30 times over the past few years- this doesn't make me an expert nor a fortune teller but surely makes me an "aware" individual :)

angel

Feb 22, 2003
thanks I think we like the idea of a church and then maybe off for a day-pass to an all -inclusive ( more of a treat for the guests). Although I like Sosua and Cabarete, It's one of the less - desirable options as is Playa dorada.

I do like Cofresi, Costambar, Santo Domingo and Rio San Juan, so those are some other options.

angel

Feb 22, 2003
Thanks Sangria! this is great info to start my search. My boyfriend is from the countryside and unfamilair with "touristy areas" so since I work in travel I can do the search for the place ..he can handle the judge part of it.lol

Thanks again!

twillis

Jun 22, 2009
Hi Angel, i was married in Rio san Juan. Just us two and two family members. We then spent a week at the Bahia Principe. Very nice. PM me if i can answer any more questions.

Congrats. :)