Call them what you want, they are spectacular

aross

Nov 15, 2007
I did a search and no matter what the official name is, the ?Flame Tree" or "Poinciana? or ?flamboyan? or ?Amapola? or "Royal" or "Flamboyant? Trees at this time of the year are absolutely spectacular.

My wife and I drove to Playa Grande on Sunday from Cabarete and the trees along the highway were amazing. Especially for about 3 miles right after Rio San Juan where in places the blossoms formed a canopy over the road.

It is well worth the trip for anyone that likes seeing nature at its best.

Here are a couple of pictures.

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Flamboyan names

All the names you mentioned are names for The Delonix regia besides Amapola which is another tree that also fills with spectacular red flowers in the spring

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Those aare Flamboyans...Amapolas are more orangy...incolor and bloom at a different time of the year. In Yaroa you can see the valley filled withthem...

Hb

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a lovely, large oil painting in our dining room of a scene in the campo with a huge flamboyan near a typical blue clapboard house and a stream. We bought it from an artist's gallery [attached to his home] on the road back down to the capital from Jarabacoa about 20 years ago. I love it, it always makes me homesick for DR.

Seeing those trees in person IS breathtaking

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Insperational Flamboyan in Dominican Art

The Flamboyan has got to be one of the most popular subjects for Dominican painters. There are examples of it from top dominican painters like Yori Morel and Anduja to street corner seller painters from all over the country