Mail System in DR

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
Does anyone else have problems with the postal system in the Dominican Republic? I worry that my husband will not get his letter from immigration because the mail system is so bad. I have previously sent 3 test letters to my husbands address and not one was ever delivered or returned to my address in Canada. I called the resort that he works at and asked if I used their address would the mail get there. She said it is pretty bad, but if it is UPS, or somehting like that, it would get there. This is on the East coast of the island.

I would really like to hear how the mail system had affected, or not, other people in this forum.

Thanks,
Lisa

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
This was a suggestion from another poster

As you know it is very hard to send mail in the D.R.
I had my husband sign a form so that I would be his representative, so Haiti e-mails me with any updates. If you did not include this form in your application to CIC you can obtain a copy of the form at the CIC website under Application to sponsor a Spouse. I find the best way to send written information to my spouse is by faxing it to an Internet Center that is owned by a Dominican friend of mine.
Hope this helps..

You'll find the form here

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
How long has it been since you mailed the letters. My last letter from the USA took 4 months to get delivered.

Bob K

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Mail problems

Mail to and from the UK takes just under two months if you use a A.P. (POB) as I do at Las Terrenas Post Office. If you use your house address mail takes two years. If you use a POB in Miami through MBE they take 7/10 days. This is all actual experience.

Johana

May 24, 2006
My husband is from Puerto Plata and I think the longest it took him to receive mail was 3 weeks.

Regarding the Use of Representative form - if you did not send it in with your application have Haiti confirm receipt and confirm that they will send you the information. I forgot to include this form and set it after the fact and I did not receive any updates. Although my husband only received 1 letter requesting an original marriage certificate and a copy of his birth certificate. The next communication was a call to drop off his passport.

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
This was a suggestion from another poster

You'll find the form here
Thanks. I do have the forms adn I did not think to send them with my application. I've have read elsewhere that they are useless to me unless I have my husbands B file number. It has been over 6 months and we have not even received that yet.

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
I mailed these letters over a year ago. I gave up on their mail system after that. I have read that Haiti will not confirm anything unless I have the B file number for my husband. Apparently they will not even give the file number without the representative form.....It seems as though I am between a rock and a hard place.

Any suggestions?

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I had someone drop a piece of junk mail in the post to me in the UK (after registering something online), that took I think 5 months to arrive.

Saying that, according to the postmark, it had only been onshore for 13 days........

Or was it 13 days since they put the stamp on it?... and 4 months in a bag at the port....

Suppose we'll never know...

Its worse probably because nobody uses it, sort of a vicious circle.. Normal mail anywhere else in the world is mostly junk and bills. Nobody bothers here with junk cos it wont arrive there, and all bills are sent out by carriers who work on behalf of the bank/utility co/govt etc.....

Who is actually using the mail?!

cathay

*** Sin Bin ***
Oct 13, 2008
Lisa,

As I said in a previous post, fill out the Use of a Representative form and fax it to your husband in the D.R. Have him sign it. Then you can e-mail the Embassy in Port au Prince to inform them that you are going to fax it to them. Or, your husband can send the original by courrieur to the Embassy. In lieu of a B-file number, you can use your Client Identification Number in your correspondance for now. Once they receive his authorisation for you to act as his Representative, they will send messages via e-mail to you. Also,you can then e-mail Haiti and ask for your B-file number.

Does this make sense?

Cathay

Last edited:

lisa.jensen

Mar 4, 2008
Cathay,

Your info is very helpful and it does make sense. I will do that. On Wednesday, I actually received a letter from Haiti. It is a letter to my husband and was cc'd to me as the sponsor. Now I have the B file number, too. I will email and fax the form. Good thing, because he has not rec'd the letter yet, which is dated June 18th. He probably never will. I will certainly need all info to come my way.

Thanks so much,
Lisa