price of kilowatt per hour (kWh)

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
I need some quick help - From your electricity bill, what do you pay for kilowatt per hour? What region/city of the country are you in? If you can break that down by the different tiers that would be even better!

Thanks!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I understand hat prices have gone up again from 1st July. I have not got the rates for this month so I will quote you on what was received last month.

Up to 200 kwHs .......... RD $3.50 per KwH
Next 100 KwHs .......... RD $5.50 per Kwh
Next 100 KwHs .......... RD $8.57 per Kwh

The rate ABOVE 700 KwHrs virtually DOUBLES the monthly bill because the 'tier rate' is discontinued & a rate of approx RD 11.50 is charged for the WHOLE bill rather than just that above the 700 Kwhrs! So I do not allow my usage to go there & do not know (from my bill) exactly what the rate is.

I live in Puerto Plata in the area known as Bayardo. ~ Grahame.

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
New Rate

I received my Edenorte bill Yesterday, Here are the new rates.

0 - 200 = RD$ 3.70
200-300 = RD$ 5.81
300-700 = RD$ 9.06

I don't know what it is over 700, I didn't use that much.

Rick

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Over 700, the entire number of hours is billed at the highest rate (now 9.06) For example, 699 hours would cost $1,348 but 701 hours would now cost $6,351. We went over by 7 hours this month...$6,405.42 :(

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I've got you all beat here in Santo Domingo. Up until May I was paying around $1,500. For the month of May, I got a bill for $3,000. I didn't think too much of it because I knew the rates had gone up.

I just received my bill for June: $8,243!! There are only 2 of us in the house- they claim we used 900 kW. Going to call Edesur now, but I doubt they'll do anything.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I reside in a private development in Cofresi which has 24hr electricity via the hotel development adjacent, I pay 11.25 RD per kW or about US$ 31.25 cents per kW. Its high but I'd rather take that than pay less for unreliable electricity.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
And got my business bill today on BTS-2

first 75 - 4.98
nxt 125- 4.98
nxt 100- 7.19
Thereon- 9.42

I nearly died. And then turned off the AC.

On top of that, we spiked over 700 at home last month and got that one yesterday. I had the same near death experience and turned of the AC.

Sleepless nights over the bills, or sleepless nights in the heat..............decisions decisions..............

Reactions: mountainannie

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
quick replies!

Thanks to everyone who responded thus far, the info really helped out! It is interesting to see the range, and the big spike for 24/7 service. I will be sure to watch the bill to stay under that magic 700 kWh number, WOW!

Feb 7, 2007
Use timer in the night. If your AC is cooling well, when you go to bed put a timer to 1 hour. You will be all asleep in a well cooled room and a hike by 2 degrees in temperature overnight (after the Ac turns itself off) will not be noticeable to your body.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
You may want to try setting your A/C at a higher setting. I always have mine at 26C. Not enough to feel cold, but it gets rid of the heat.

If you're one of those folks that turns the A/C on high, at it's lowest temperature so you can live in an icebox, the new rates are going to crucify you.

I've been trying this tonight and so far seems to work fine. Doesn't actually feel much different to having it on the lowest setting.......

As regards Rubio's bit, we tried that, but within an hour of the aire going off the now heavily pregnant wife gets restless and well, the only way to stop her is to turn the thing on again!!!

I even invested in a Chillow recently........ will reserve judgement until the point where I can keep the bloody thing under my head for the whole night!!

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.. (and again, and again, and again)

Read your meter, every day. More or less the same time every day.

WRITE IT DOWN!! Keep a record in an excel spreadsheet that you can print out.

Then you can keep track of how much you use every day. You can compare the meter reading dates on your invoice, to see if what they read was accurate or not.

Want to see mine for the last year and a half? Their numbers always are within a Kw or two from mine.

It is also great evidence if you have a problem some day, and want to file a complaint with PROTECO.

I don't know if it works the same for Edenorte but Edesur is offering, for free, an overview of your usage sent by email since most of the meters are now electronically and remotely read. You can set the number of times you want your email sent, diary, weekly or monthly so you can stay on top of your consumption and avoid surprises with the monthly bill.
file.php

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
You'll find that after a few more days, you won't even notice the difference.

Also make sure your fan is set at the lowest setting. You're better off turning on the air an hour before you hit the sack at the fan's lowest setting, than turning it on at a high speed setting when you go to bed. An added plus is that when you walk into the room to retire for the night, you definitely feel the temperature difference.

I agree with you on the timer thing. We tried that in the past, and the moment the A/C turned off, it would wake me up.

Plus, the halt in air movement makes it seem hot almost instantly.

A month later (edesur bill yesterday), doing what you suggest, has reduced my monthly bill by RD$4500 pesos (US$125, GBP80 for the overseas). And we don't feel the difference really.

Great advice. Thanks muchly.

Cantaloulou

Feb 19, 2008
gonna try it too

Gonna try the JDJones experiment too for the AC!

Since the increases my average bill of ?880KWh has gone from RD$7222$ to RD$8269 (mind you I run a small biz out of my house and have five 20-25 cu ft freezers).

I have thanks to all the suggestions in DR1 forums (DR1 members ROCK;)!!!) had a 2nd meter installed in the house and have rerouted all freezers to it. Next month will be first full month since installation but daily readings have show that I will most likely have a ?550Kwh for the house and ?300Kwh for my freezer meter. This will save me a bundle as I will be charged per rate scale and not the entire 700Kwh +++.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Talking of fans.

There is no point whatsoever on running a fan in a room if your aren't in it other than to keep a few flying insects away.

Ted once explained to me the rather obvious fact that fans do not chill the air, they just push it around so it FEELS colder. Turning a fan on in a room for an hour or even 5 hours before entering makes no difference whatsoever to the temperature, it just makes your electricity bill higher for no reason.

It's the same principle as having your car window open - the air that comes into the car isn't cooler than the air outside but it feels cooler, and the minute you stop and there's no draft it heats up again.

If you don't believe me then test the theory with a thermometer, oh and buy me or Ted (he pointed it out to me) a beer next time you meet one of us for saving you all so much money ......

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I've got you all beat here in Santo Domingo. Up until May I was paying around $1,500. For the month of May, I got a bill for $3,000. I didn't think too much of it because I knew the rates had gone up.

I just received my bill for June: $8,243!! There are only 2 of us in the house- they claim we used 900 kW. Going to call Edesur now, but I doubt they'll do anything.

The same thing happened to us too.
I used an average of 300 Kwh / month from Oct. to April, than it went up to May 491, June 519, July 692, and now it's 1100!!!! For no reason.
There is one more thing that pi$$ed me off big time. In June I was going to complain to EN about the higher usage - for no reason, when one day - I was not home - an Edenorte contractor showed up at our house, and explained to my wife - who's spanish is not well - that they are here to check what's going on, because of the irregular usage. She was happy, because we where going to call them anyway, but it's very unusual from the dominican "customer service" to show up at your house- without calling them. Anyway, they where messing with the meter, I know that they opened it, because I did find the old seal on the ground - and they said that our meter was not hooked up right, and they fixed it, and all should be OK now. It was kind of strange of a diagnostic, because if it was not hooked up right it would show high or low usage all the time. I'd understand if the meter went bad for some reason and that would cause the high usage. They did not changed the meter for sure, because the serial number is the same as it was before. We thought all is good now, and we will pay our regular usage again, however the next bill was even higher, went up from 519 to 692!!! So our bill was DR$ 5000. (Now it will be 10,000!)
But that was nothing!!! When we paid our bill at the EN office, they told us, that we have to pay DR$ 19,000- fine for stealing electricity!!!!!!!????
WTF???? Are these guys out of their F-ing mind??? Based on what??
They said if we won't pay the fine they will disconnect the power.
Now what can I do??? We feel that they are totally screwing us out of $$$$ and there is nothing that we can do.
We are paying our bills since October in time, never miss a payment. Nothing changed in our household that would indicate a higher usage.
I changed all bulbs for the low-energy type, removed the electrical water heater and replaced with a propane heater in the first week we moved in. All our TVs are low energy LCDs.
We have A/C in the bedrooms, washer, dishwasher which we used before the same way when we paid a lot less.
Now I try to figure out what the hell is going on. I have only 1 neighbor, our connection is at the other side of the house, I don't think he's steeling he does not have A/C. When I turn off all the fuses in the house the "current usage" counter on the meter goes to zero as it should. I have people coming tomorrow to check our inversor and connections. Beside that I don't know what else to do.
I wonder if anyone had a similar situation.

The Hun

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The same thing happened to us too.
I used an average of 300 Kwh / month from Oct. to April, than it went up to May 491, June 519, July 692, and now it's 1100!!!! For no reason.
There is one more thing that pi$$ed me off big time. In June I was going to complain to EN about the higher usage - for no reason, when one day - I was not home - an Edenorte contractor showed up at our house, and explained to my wife - who's spanish is not well - that they are here to check what's going on, because of the irregular usage. She was happy, because we where going to call them anyway, but it's very unusual from the dominican "customer service" to show up at your house- without calling them. Anyway, they where messing with the meter, I know that they opened it, because I did find the old seal on the ground - and they said that our meter was not hooked up right, and they fixed it, and all should be OK now. It was kind of strange of a diagnostic, because if it was not hooked up right it would show high or low usage all the time. I'd understand if the meter went bad for some reason and that would cause the high usage. They did not changed the meter for sure, because the serial number is the same as it was before. We thought all is good now, and we will pay our regular usage again, however the next bill was even higher, went up from 519 to 692!!! So our bill was DR$ 5000. (Now it will be 10,000!)
But that was nothing!!! When we paid our bill at the EN office, they told us, that we have to pay DR$ 19,000- fine for stealing electricity!!!!!!!????
WTF???? Are these guys out of their F-ing mind??? Based on what??
They said if we won't pay the fine they will disconnect the power.
Now what can I do??? We feel that they are totally screwing us out of $$$$ and there is nothing that we can do.
We are paying our bills since October in time, never miss a payment. Nothing changed in our household that would indicate a higher usage.
I changed all bulbs for the low-energy type, removed the electrical water heater and replaced with a propane heater in the first week we moved in. All our TVs are low energy LCDs.
We have A/C in the bedrooms, washer, dishwasher which we used before the same way when we paid a lot less.
Now I try to figure out what the hell is going on. I have only 1 neighbor, our connection is at the other side of the house, I don't think he's steeling he does not have A/C. When I turn off all the fuses in the house the "current usage" counter on the meter goes to zero as it should. I have people coming tomorrow to check our inversor and connections. Beside that I don't know what else to do.
I wonder if anyone had a similar situation.

The Hun

Wow they actually fine people for stealing electricity? Another law selectively and unfairly enforced on the gringo for sure.

You must be going insane, I think I would blow a gasket.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Wow they actually fine people for stealing electricity? Another law selectively and unfairly enforced on the gringo for sure.

You must be going insane, I think I would blow a gasket.

Not on the gringo, but to the middle-class and upper class people, the ones who pay the electricity.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Thehun,

Take your complaint to PROTECO....

Superintendencia de Electricidad Rep?blica Dominicana

In POP they are on the same street as Bournigal heading away from the ocean.

Do you think they can resolve it? Have you guys use them successfully?
Do they have an office in Santiago?
I really appreciate your suggestion.
BTW, yesterday - thanks to Chip - we got a guy who checked out our inversor, batteries, connections and he said all is perfect, the problem must be with the meter.

The Hun