the movies A RANT

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
For the THIRD week in a row, I thought, wow, it is going to be HOT again and maybe raining and wouldn't it be great perhaps to go out to a mall and perhaps shop a bit and see a Movie ...

OK... so there are only 8 (EIGHT)Movies which show in the ENTIRE country,,,,, SAME MOVIES in all the

86 EIGHT-SIX MOVIE theaters....

in the Capital city of

3 three million people.

AND

They HAVE NOT CHANGED IN THREE WEEKS! ( I swear this is true, I am sure this is true or maybe it is just that it has just been so hot, so very very hot that it seems that a week is a month)

Now the EARLIEST shows START at 4 PM

THIS is NEW -- only in the LAST few years.

It is only One SHOW that Starts THIS EARLY'

Always a kid's show.

No

seems like they are all kids shows

The other shows don't start til 7. All the stores in the mall are closed.

Marketing, marketing marketing,

I speak vainly to my Dominican Friends,

I know that you are all cousins, or you all know someone who knows someone who is cousins with the guy who probably owns ALL the theaters so could you get him this message? PLEASE?????!?!@?!?

It is a hot country. Movie theaters are cold and dark.

Movies in the US were the one thing that made money even through the Great Depression.

Run the movies all day.

In the HEAT of the DAY

Start with the 2 PM early show at a discount.

This will bring more people to the Mall when the stores are open.

See the marketing aspect here?

You say that people have no money?

Well the people who have no money won't spend it.

Let's talk about the people who do have money... because, let's face it , there are plenty of people who do have money here.....

I, for one, would have gone to at least 4 movies in the last month. OK, not a fortune. But at least once, I would have treated a family I know, so that is 7 ticket at say 200 pesos plus popcorn -- it is mounting up here, see?

DON't FREEZE US with the AC. We don't need to have to carry sweaters for the movies, just a place to get out of the sun. Put the AC at 75, even 80 we will think it is heaven.

Run a different movie in every room. That is 86 movies in Santo Domingo, Then you can bring in 8 new ones every week. Have a real variey, One for MOM one for DAD etc etc... there are millions and millions of movies out there. You don't have to do Hollywood,,, try Bollywood, or Argentina, and Mexico;, say... surely they are cheaper... we just want the big screen, the dark, the AC!!

I used to work in a specialty video store, I would even VOLUNTEER to help him chose some. Just PM me.

thanks for listening

i feel better

not any cooler but a lot less angry

gee it certainly helps to share

Reactions: Black Dog

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
yes, and that see that does not address the HEAT issue

and the BIG SCREEN

I HAVE PLENTY of CHANELS

I have great Videos that I have not even watched

I want the BIG SCREEN

I want people who are LARGER THAN LIFE

wow it has been two hours and i am not even over this

maybe i should start to drink?

meditate?

go to the pool?

get to work?

have some lunch?

get OVER it!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
What about the popcorn and choc ices and the woman sitting in front of you in the big hat and people coughing and sneezing and the man making strange noises in the back row (what is he doing?) and someone sitting behind you who's seen the movie before and is giving their friend a running commentary? I'm just trying to help, honest!!! LOL

Reactions: mountainannie

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I feel your pain- I've yet to go see a movie in this country but lately have been looking to escape to a theater... except I don't want to see an action movie, a children's movie, or anything dubbed in Spanish. So, like you, I am out of luck.

It could be worse- in Jamaica you have to stand for the national anthem before the start of every movie... and they stop the movie half-way through so everyone can stock up on the noisy snacks they demolished in the first half!

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Have you tried cinemateca? They will at least have some variety. Whats on now? They showing The Hangover? Wanted to see that one, but the guy at the corner didn't have the DVD :p haha, I prefer to try before I buy, the dvd guy gives you the sneek peak and for 30 who can complain - unless there's a bad cameraman, or they are dubbed in Gallego spanish

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I've seen some great movies here... I saw Syriana here which was only tricky when the Arabic was subtitled in Spanish and it was my first year and it was really really important. and then I saw Raiders 2 or 6 when my nephew was here, and Benjamin Buttons and well, lots... and yes, cinemateca, too, but it is REALLY hard to find out what is playing there. And that is always at night. OK this was just a wall. I am going to have to readjust my sleep cycle and sleep through the heat of the day.... which of course, what is supposed to be done here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
OK GOOD NEWS.. It is THURSDAY and TWO new MOVIES with GREAT ratings from Rotten Tomatoes (my one stop guide) are in... Both, I think also playing in Santiago, One a thriller with Ben Affleck and Russell Crowe called State of Play and the other a psychological thriller with Academy Award winner Naomi Watts called Eastern Promises. Both with early shows on the weekend.

Thanks so much