Private Mail - Florida P.O. Box?

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
Hi there,

I've tried the search function, but haven't found what I need, so I'm coming to you all for help. :)

I'm moving to the DR in 24 days (yay!), but I have no idea how to go about getting my mail! I've heard that the mail system in the DR is shoddy at best, so I'm searching for other options so that I can continue to receive my bills and other mail. I thought I read somewhere that many people ship to Florida P.O. boxes, then have the mail delivered in the DR. Does anyone have any advice about this or perhaps another idea of how to get mail and small packages? I can afford a small fee, but I can't use a super expensive service.

Many thanks!

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
So, I partially answered this question - I called Mail Boxes, Etc. and asked about a miami account. But, it looks like it's going to be VERY expensive (at least to my budget) - approximately $40.00 each time we forward our mail! Yikes! Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've been using P.O. Box International for about 9 years and have no complaints whatsoever.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Most of us use EPS (Express Parcel Service) or Business Mail. Both are inexpensive and reliable.
they are not, however, available in every town and village. Vimenca is, most likely.

HB

Jan 17, 2009
While the PO Boxes in Florida work very well for packages, I would not recommend them to forward your regular mail because of the cost. If you can, arrange to get your bills online and use an online payment service. I'm not sure where you coming from by in the US the amount of junk mail is still substantial. EPS forwards everything and you'll be paying a ton of money for junk. I've read in another thread on this site that Vimenca has a service where they go through your mail and discard your junk mail. Don't know how good a job they do in this sense.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I've been using P.O. Box International for about 9 years and have no complaints whatsoever.

Me too, but they're only in Santo Domingo. Reliable, online tracking from receipt, usually 24-36 hours from receipt in Miami its ready to pick up in Naco.

www.pobidom.com

Someone did say that Vimenca can be cheaper on the larger items though.

And for shipping anything REALLY big, contact Carmen Cargo in Miami. They shipping a lot of stuff for us, 5 large and very heavy boxes (baby due in 4 weeks), and we paid $300. The don't charge on weight, just on size. And its to your door here, wherever you are.

Steve

Jan 17, 2009
How to we contact cargo company?

Me too, but they're only in Santo Domingo. Reliable, online tracking from receipt, usually 24-36 hours from receipt in Miami its ready to pick up in Naco.

www.pobidom.com

Someone did say that Vimenca can be cheaper on the larger items though.

And for shipping anything REALLY big, contact Carmen Cargo in Miami. They shipping a lot of stuff for us, 5 large and very heavy boxes (baby due in 4 weeks), and we paid $300. The don't charge on weight, just on size. And its to your door here, wherever you are.

Steve

Steve,

Do you have contact info for Carmen Cargo? Thanks

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, rubio. I found that one too, but I was hoping for a website or an email address. Maybe Steve has one. I'll wait a bit to hear from him.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks, rubio. I found that one too, but I was hoping for a website or an email address. Maybe Steve has one. I'll wait a bit to hear from him.

It is that one, in Hollywood. They're a great bunch. Take care of you and all the customs rubbish that goes with it too.

Takes about 2 weeks to get your packages from shipping date, and they ship out once a week. We had some items delivered by mail order to them after we left Miami and they all turned up fine. They will even come to your hotel/place to pick up your purchases - door-to-door.

Whether the shipment is in bits or all together makes no difference on price either. They've got a list of prices per item or per box (and its a big box). They don't charge for the box either from memory.

Website carmencargoexpress

My only complaint, they knocked on the door at 9am sunday morning unannounced with some packages. 9am sunday is not when you expect that knock at the door!!!!

Jan 17, 2009
Thank you Steve. I will contact them through their website. This may be just the perfect solution to get stuff here for our business. Hopefully with the trade agreement we won't have to pay any duties.