Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Private Mail - Florida P.O. Box?

Hi there,

I've tried the search function, but haven't found what I need, so I'm coming to you all for help.

I'm moving to the DR in 24 days (yay!), but I have no idea how to go about getting my mail! I've heard that the mail system in the DR is shoddy at best, so I'm searching for other options so that I can continue to receive my bills and other mail. I thought I read somewhere that many people ship to Florida P.O. boxes, then have the mail delivered in the DR. Does anyone have any advice about this or perhaps another idea of how to get mail and small packages? I can afford a small fee, but I can't use a super expensive service.

Many thanks!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I partially answered this question - I called Mail Boxes, Etc. and asked about a miami account. But, it looks like it's going to be VERY expensive (at least to my budget) - approximately $40.00 each time we forward our mail! Yikes! Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using P.O. Box International for about 9 years and have no complaints whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of us use EPS (Express Parcel Service) or Business Mail. Both are inexpensive and reliable.
    they are not, however, available in every town and village. Vimenca is, most likely.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

While the PO Boxes in Florida work very well for packages, I would not recommend them to forward your regular mail because of the cost. If you can, arrange to get your bills online and use an online payment service. I'm not sure where you coming from by in the US the amount of junk mail is still substantial. EPS forwards everything and you'll be paying a ton of money for junk. I've read in another thread on this site that Vimenca has a service where they go through your mail and discard your junk mail. Don't know how good a job they do in this sense.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys are so helpful! I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to look into all of your suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    I've been using P.O. Box International for about 9 years and have no complaints whatsoever.
    Me too, but they're only in Santo Domingo. Reliable, online tracking from receipt, usually 24-36 hours from receipt in Miami its ready to pick up in Naco.

www.pobidom.com

Someone did say that Vimenca can be cheaper on the larger items though.

And for shipping anything REALLY big, contact Carmen Cargo in Miami. They shipping a lot of stuff for us, 5 large and very heavy boxes (baby due in 4 weeks), and we paid $300. The don't charge on weight, just on size. And its to your door here, wherever you are.

Steve

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to we contact cargo company?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Me too, but they're only in Santo Domingo. Reliable, online tracking from receipt, usually 24-36 hours from receipt in Miami its ready to pick up in Naco.

www.pobidom.com

Someone did say that Vimenca can be cheaper on the larger items though.

And for shipping anything REALLY big, contact Carmen Cargo in Miami. They shipping a lot of stuff for us, 5 large and very heavy boxes (baby due in 4 weeks), and we paid $300. The don't charge on weight, just on size. And its to your door here, wherever you are.

Steve
    Steve,

Do you have contact info for Carmen Cargo? Thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, rubio. I found that one too, but I was hoping for a website or an email address. Maybe Steve has one. I'll wait a bit to hear from him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast