How to dress as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezmerist

Jun 8, 2009
I will be visiting the North Coast but not staying in an AI. I would like to visit some local places to go dancing, etc, and would like to not offend anyone with my dress. What is appropriate for me to wear so that I don't look like a "lady of the night"? I keep reading about how shorts are not appropriate, but usually this is directed at guys attire. Can I wear shorts, if they are more dressy (aka the kind I can wear to the club in the US?) Is a denim skirt ok? I will never blend in, as I am asian. However, I would like to not be mistaken for a working girl, thanks~! :cheeky:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
no no
britneyspearsinblack.jpg

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
apparently its Britney spears according to the web site - she must have been having one of her funny moments

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
OK guys; you've had your fun...

Now it's time to help a tourist.

Anyone besides Conchman have anything salient to contribute?

Gregg
Mod.

P.S. - Further off topic chatter will be removed.

Mezmerist

Jun 8, 2009
No, I'm not a guy... I already know about the no shorts/muscle tank tops rule for them ;)

Please help out a girl!!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Wear shirts that cover up your belly button. I tried following US fashion for shorter tops, but Dominicans told me it was not acceptable to be out in public like that in the evening especially. I am not sure if it still holds true.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought my posting was very helpful mr moderator - one outfit not recommended and one recommended - could I be any more helpful

Jan 17, 2009
Mezmerist,

Just dress as you would in a beach town during the day, shorts are ok if you go out shopping during the day, capris pants, sundresses, long beach dresses, etc. I don't think a short shirt showing your navel is a problem in any beach town in the north coast. In short, I'd say wear anything that's comfortable to you but stay away from high heels, especially needle heels, with a short skirt or dress.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lemme tell you as a woman:
when you go to the club you will often think all girls are working girls because dominicans like sexy look. ;)
in case you want to look more decent here are simple rules:
shorts - yes to tailored version. no to something that shows your butt cheeks.
skirt - can be short and denim but not so short it shows your panties.
top - almost anything goes, just be sensible.
in general if you want to wear shorts wear top that covers you up a bit. you know, do not show it all.
my best advice is to wear something with pockets (money, keys, phone) - jeans, long pants. take any top with it and you will look great! dominicanas love to accessorize so take bracelets, beads etc (cheap stuff, no gold/silver).

Mezmerist

Jun 8, 2009
Thanks everyone for the input! Seems that girls have it less strict than the guys, I can basically just wear what I normally wear and be cute, and not have to worry too much.

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
Try to stay away from wearing flip flops out to the clubs...not a rule, but like dv8 said, Dominicanas like to dress up and flip flops are considered extremely casual and some ladies won't even wear them outside of the house.

Jan 17, 2009
Try to stay away from wearing flip flops out to the clubs...not a rule, but like dv8 said, Dominicanas like to dress up and flip flops are considered extremely casual and some ladies won't even wear them outside of the house.

I'm surprised that they don't wear flip flops outside the house but don't mind walking around town with rollers on their hair. Is this a rule every where in the country or only in the capital and main cities? I never paid attention to flip flops but the rollers did catch my attention though.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Waer jeans with a flare bottom and a tight fitting blouse and you will fit in like Flynn.

Please no shorts or short skirts though. No flip flops but nice shoes only, not sneakers.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Skirts during the day are very practical, especially if you do a lot of walking. Make sure you wear cotton next to your skin. It helps stop the sweat.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Hey from a young women who lived in Puerta Plata.
At most casual local clubs, most women wore tight fitting jeans and sexy tight blouses or tops and heals....or for nicer more upscale clubs...pretty, cute and a little sexy short summer dresses and dressy heals.
Similar to what the girls in Sex in the City wore when going out.
Dominican women like to accessorize to match with their clothes like all women on the planet....
Nails and hair done.

Shouldnt be that difference from home.

During the day it is ok to wear shorts and short skirts (just not too short...capris are popular) and flip flops. I am assuming you are young..20-30s?

Dominican female business attire is probably more sexy and tight fitting than what you are use to back home. So that should give you a clue to what is acceptable.
Just respectable and feminine with a dash of sexy

PM if you have any more questions

Status
Not open for further replies.