Pedro Mcmurphys in Sosua

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Did this Restaurant go out of business as it has been closed for about 1 week now.

I don't really eat there but I was wondering if business is that slow because it sure is quiet in this sleepy little town.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I was wondering the same thing. I spotted a notice on the door as I drove past so when I parked up I walked back to take a closer look but it just gives happy hour times. I think the owner lives abroad but I'm not 100% sure!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hopefully, they're just closed for the low part of the low season. Between the heat and the hit to the economy, people are just traveling less.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've been told by a reliable source who knows the owner that it is closed and for sale!

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
The original owners of that place basically fixed it up quite nicely and turned around and sold it at quite a high price to the Canadian guy who was running it. Not a bad bar at all, but with all the grill work, sometimes it feels like you are sitting in jail...

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
The asking price seemed sky high, and maybe he ran out of money? Too bad, he was a nice guy and it was a nice refuge to get away from the aggressive putas out on the street..

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The asking price seemed sky high, and maybe he ran out of money? Too bad, he was a nice guy and it was a nice refuge to get away from the aggressive putas out on the street..

I believe somebody else ran out with a Sanky resulting in the forced sale!

49erman, you know nobody is twisting your arm to go to Sosua, your chronic complaining about the town does tend to get old after a few reiterations.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive yet to meet one of these aggressive putas- they just ask if you want anything and if you say no they go away- just another service like shoe shining

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
...Shoe shine, knob polishing, same thing.

btw is Pedro McMurphy relate to Jose O'Shea by chance? there are so few Irish on the island.

Reactions: jrhartley

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
The business is indeed up for sale but the restaurant has not closed for good. It has been very poorly managed. It is owned by two people who are absent. They pay a general manager, a manager and several gringo staff. I am not sure why they decided to have gringo staff instead of the good looking Dominican girls that they had with the previous owners.
There is a possibility that it may re-open tomorrow, but that is not confirmed. If not it should re-open in a couple of weeks.

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
Let me be the reliable source of information. The restaurant is re-organizing right now. It mostlikely will open by Wednesday of next week. As to whether it is for sale everyone knows that everything is for sale in Sosua. And yes it is a nice place to sit away from the harassing that goes on in town. Give the place a chance to re-open and support a decent local business

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I like Pedro McMurphys... good food at decent prices. I wish them the best of luck.

...support a decent local business
But with an Irish theme, absentee gringo owners, gringo staff, and gringo menu... what makes it 'local' other than it's in Sosua?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Let me be the reliable source of information. The restaurant is re-organizing right now. It mostlikely will open by Wednesday of next week. As to whether it is for sale everyone knows that everything is for sale in Sosua. And yes it is a nice place to sit away from the harassing that goes on in town. Give the place a chance to re-open and support a decent local business

While you are "re-organizing" please bring back the cute bartenders from the Tony/Fred era and get rid of The Abuela that growls at you in the afternoon, then maybe you will gain a few customers!

tambo'

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
There is a Dominican lunch served however in order to be successful customers need to be present. The location is sufferring the effects of a poor global economy.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
perhaps a note on the door would have stopped all the speculation- we are used to places suddenly disappearing round these parts, so your customers may not have realised it was re-opening

Reactions: Tamborista

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
someone said the business was for sale but at a high price,,does anyone know what the asking price is...?
other comments as to gringo staff, menu and absentee owners:
it is difficult no matter where you are to operate a business with absentee owners,
gingo menu: well most people want gringo food, sometimes with a small dominican choice available...i do know they did feature a dominican lunch each day which was tasty and priced good,

gringo staff: in talking to different business owners i have heard it is preferred often to have gringo staff, as with the dominican help it is difficult to have them do things the way you want, and also the labour laws are against the employer...the severance pays you have to give them is criminal...

Reactions: mike l

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
And yes it is a nice place to sit away from the harassing that goes on in town.

I am starting to get the feeling that a good number of people have never travelled much. It has been my experience that Sosua is a lightweight when it comes to being hassled. It is almost like it does not exist....ever been to Jamaica?