Airfare normally this high for Xmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilm1489

Jul 7, 2009
I am looking to come back to Cabarete again after my first visit. I got a steal on airfare the first time I came ($350 on JetBlue even with a connection). While I'm not expecting something that low, I have been looking at airfare around Christmas time and am a little blown away at the fares going into Puerto Plata, Santiago and even SDQ. From most cities where my friends and I are coming from - the cheapest airfare is $600-700. Even from JFK with Jet Blue, it's almost $600. These high fares are typically for only trips from December 20th or so until Jan 1st or so. Before and after that they are 400 or so.

I understand this is a peak tourism period for the area, but I also looked on Jet Blue's website to find that these flights have only a handful of seats booked (10-12 on the whole plane). So it's not like it's because people have booked all of the cheap fares.

I was just wondering if this is a rate that typically goes down or if these prices typically remain this high around this period? Obviously it's a guess as they aren't necessarily going to follow what they did last year, but since we can't afford $700 airfare, should I be looking to go elsewhere or should I hold out longer?

Thanks for any insight!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You won't see the prices drop during that period. From mid December to the first week in January the flight prices are high. Don't worry, come flight time every one of those seats will be filled with Dominicans going home to be with their families during the holidays.

Jan 17, 2009
$600 from JFK sounds pretty good to me for Xmas travel. I travel from POP to Virginia (DCA) and back and have not been able to get a ticket for less than $550 including taxes in a long long time, despite booking early and traveling only in low season. I would grab that Jet Blue ticket right away. I've been looking for tickets for my daughter from SFO for Xmas and in a couple of weeks it's gone up $200. Now I'm looking at a minimum of $1,000.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Its early yet but you would be surprised how full those flights do get.

Have flown with Jetblue previously over this period and paid more than $700 JFK-POP...these fares wont drop, they are the "cheap" ones. Also, bear in mind, there is nothing stopping the airlines from putting the prices up, and many do, especially within a 1 or 2 week window of the planned travel date.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We don't normally come to DR in late December, but decided to this year. Wow, was I surprised to find out Spirit cost us over $600 each. We've never paid that much. And that was well over a month ago, I bet it's higher now. I've flown them to Florida many times, but this is the first time we're using them for DR, we normally fly AA out of JFK, but that's 3 hours from AC and Spirit is right here. Of course it's a FLL connection, which I'm not crazy about. Even worse, they've changed our connections twice already, and what was going to be a 2 hour layover in FLL is now about 8 hours - in both directions. After I booked the flights I found out they charge for every bag, and if I want to choose my seats they charge for that too. Can you say rip-off?? I'm sorry we didn't stick with AA - the devil you know is better than the one you don't......

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
I went over christmas last year and I believe I paid around 400. Its still too early to book for christmas, and the trick is the days you schedule your flight.

I believe I flew into sdq dec. 26 and flew back on dec. 31.

osanhopps

Aug 19, 2007
I am looking to come back to Cabarete again after my first visit. I got a steal on airfare the first time I came ($350 on JetBlue even with a connection). While I'm not expecting something that low, I have been looking at airfare around Christmas time and am a little blown away at the fares going into Puerto Plata, Santiago and even SDQ. From most cities where my friends and I are coming from - the cheapest airfare is $600-700. Even from JFK with Jet Blue, it's almost $600. These high fares are typically for only trips from December 20th or so until Jan 1st or so. Before and after that they are 400 or so.

I understand this is a peak tourism period for the area, but I also looked on Jet Blue's website to find that these flights have only a handful of seats booked (10-12 on the whole plane). So it's not like it's because people have booked all of the cheap fares.

I was just wondering if this is a rate that typically goes down or if these prices typically remain this high around this period? Obviously it's a guess as they aren't necessarily going to follow what they did last year, but since we can't afford $700 airfare, should I be looking to go elsewhere or should I hold out longer?

Thanks for any insight!

If you are looking for something at that time you must shop early. Or go to priceline and they have a link where you could name your own price. All you can do is pick the date of departure and return. The time is up to the airline that excepts your offer. This is good because there are cancellations that are not posted, but the airlines saves them for last minute travelers. I have used it a few times. It is on the bottom left of there webpage. The best part of this is that you can do it now or wait a little while. But I suggest you do not wait too long! Good Luck!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.