obtaining a drivers license in the D.R.?

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
Hello:

I will be going to the D.R. at the end of the year to get my permanent cedula.

I know how to drive well but currently do not have a drivers license and I have a very good driving record with no criminal driving violations etc.

Please, can someone point me to a lawyer or a facilitator who can help me obtain a drivers license when I go to the D.R.?

Would I have to take a written test? I do not understand how to speak or read Spanish. Would I have to take a driving test while behind the wheel in the D.R.?

How much extra time would I have to allow myself while in the D.R.?

Please, help.

Thanks, David

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
got my answer from this forum

For those with a cedula here is the answer I was looking for:

Getting a Driver?s License in the Dominican Republic:

Getting your license in the Dominican Republic is a straightforward process. Bring your cedula, and a copy of the document with you to La Direccion General de Transito Terreste (DGTT), which is the equivalent of the department of motor vehicles. Make sure you have studied the driver?s manual before you take your driving exam. Next, you must pay taxes in order to receive your license:

Driver?s License: RD$ 455.00

Exam: RD$ 200.00

Medical Exam RD$ 40.00

Classification Fee: RD$75.00

Taxes: RD$ 20.00

Cost of Forms and Services: RD$ 85.00

Total: RD$ 855.00

While at DGTT go to window # 1 and present your cedula, and a copy, and pay for the driver?s license. Next, go to window #2 and present your cedula, along with the receipt of payment of taxes, and the receipt of payment for the driver?s license. Thirdly, go to window # 5 and present your cedula with the previous receipts, so that the information can be checked to make sure it?s accurate.

After that, present all previous documents to window # 6, in order to take your written exam, and wait until your called.

Following the written exam you?ll be asked to take a road test.* Once you?ve taken your exam, and you?ve passed, continue to window #8 and present all the documents in order to take your photo, and to declare all pertinent information.

Before you have finished, check all information, and make sure that it is accurate. Once you have confirmed the accuracy of all information, you will receive your Dominican driver?s license.

Note: Driver?s tests in the Dominican Republic are done in standard vehicles, i.e. vehicles with stick shifts. You can opt to have your test done in an automatic vehicle, but it will be listed as a restriction on your license. If you choose to take your test with a standard vehicle, but don?t own one, you can rent one at DGTT for RD$ 300.00.

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008

Only one question left:

Do they have drivers manuals written in English and if so, where can I get one?

Thanks, David

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
In February of this year, I helped someone get their license. All of the material was in Spanish including the audio/video component.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DavidJohnson your info is "almost" correct, but does not apply to everyone. Also I haven't heard of anyone being able to take their written exam and driving test on the same day.

Those of us with EU passports or from countries that their embassies will validate their licenses do not need to take the exam or driving test.
You can just exchange your country of citizenship license for a Dominican license. More info on this topic in various other threads.

All material is in Spanish, but they will assign you an interpreter if you make an appointment for one and "if" they have one available.
Good luck with that :)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
La Direccion General de Transito Terreste (DGTT), (Santo Domingo)

Is this located at the corner of Tiradentes / San Crhristobal ??

Thanks

LT

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Dave,
like Robert stated,
the written exam and the practice test are not on the same day.
you do the written exam first(it is a test on a computer screen where you press on a touch screen 'yes' or 'no' as anser to the 20 Q's), and then you have to wait according to dominican drivers license law at least 45 days before you are allowed to take the practice exam, it is the time period during which you have to 'learn/get practice' on the road. for that time period you get a "aprendizaje" drivers license, that means you can drive a car with a 'licensed' driver on the passenger seat to get practice, you are not allowed with that license to drive on your own.
the given time period between the written exam and the final practice test is a minimum of 45 days and the on the license credit card sized 'aprendizaje' printed card expiration date of 1 year.
between that time period of one year you need to pass the whole 9 yards, absolutely no prblem btw.

a quote from your OP here:
I know how to drive well but currently do not have a drivers license and I have a very good driving record with no criminal driving violations etc.
heck,
if you do not have any valid driving license from anywhere actually means of course you do not have a 'bad record' with criminal driving violations, b/c you have NO record, you have NO license!
just in case you had a license some day and it been taken away for what ever reason, even if just for the simple reason that you did not renew/pay taxes it on time, that would mean you do not have a clean driving record.
if you never had any license to drive a thing, o.k., in such case your record is clean and you follow your above described procedures.

happy driving
Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........(it is a test on a computer screen where you press on a touch screen 'yes' or 'no' as anser to the 20 Q's),.....
Mike
Mike, from my understanding the test is in Spanish only. How much Spanish does one need to know to get a passing grade? I also remember reading there is a practice manual available. Is it really necessary to study or should one just take a chance taking the test?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it been in spanish for me, yes.
i never touched myself the offered manual or studied,
darn, i've been driving by that time more years than the testing pesons, lol.
who doesn't understand the simple required tests should not be allowed on 'spanish language signed ' roads.
it's a piece of cake, don't worry.
Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Americans are special

Those of us with EU passports or from countries that their embassies will validate their licenses do not need to take the exam or driving test.
You can just exchange your country of citizenship license for a Dominican license.

Those things change...

"Las Licencias de Conducir de lo Estados Unidos de Am?rica no se Homologan por lo tanto para la obtenci?n de la licencia Dominicana deber?n optar por el proceso de emisi?n de una licencia Nueva.""

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Those things change...

"Las Licencias de Conducir de lo Estados Unidos de Am?rica no se Homologan por lo tanto para la obtenci?n de la licencia Dominicana deber?n optar por el proceso de emisi?n de una licencia Nueva.""

As Robert said, EU licences can be validated, others (ie US) no.

British Embassy were charging $3000 but told me it was going to increase.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as mikefisher says - practical exam is 45 days after the theory.
theory exam is a set of videos that ends in most of the cases in: is this action correct? did the driver do this correctly etc.
very simple and straightforward.
you have to do 70% of the test correct to pass.
my spanish is not that good and i cannot drive well and i managed to pass the test easily.
there is no "english option", you are no longer in america...

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Estados Unidos - EU the Spanish version
European Union - EU the English version

Just saying EU can cause confusion.

not exactly.

the spanish version od United States/Estados Unidos is EEUU, and not EU.

the english and german version for the european union is EU.

the spanish language is using quiet often the 'double letters' to differ between similar or equal shortterms .

an other examle is the shortterm for Armed Forces in spanish, Fuerzas Armadas, that's FFAA

Mike