Wages

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Office assistans in a law office make about $7,000 ($200 USD) to $10,000 ($300 USD)
in Santiago in Santo Domingo they make a bit more than that.
An office?s messange with his own moto will make about $9,000 ($270 USD) plus about $500 extra weekly for gas, a factory worker will make about 1,200 a week ($35 USD), a wachman will make about $10,000 to 12,000 a month, a motoconcho in Santiago will make about $300 to $500 pesos daily, a girl working in a banca (lotery bets) will make about $1,500 ($40 USD) every 2 weeks, plus a monthly bonus of about $1,000 ($35 UDS), a girl working in a supermarket will make about $7,000 to $8,500 a month with extra hours.

This was posted in the central travel thread and I was curious to get feedback from other sections of the country. Are the wages substantially different in other areas? I know for instance that there was a recent survey of consumer prices that put Las Terrenas as the most expensive place to buy grocercies..... But how about wages? Would these figures be about the same for Santo Domingo?

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The watchman figure looks on the high side. You would pay that to a security company here in Sosua but the employee would only get 6 or 7 thousand of it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am just reading this again and seeing that an office assistant makes about the same as the bottom end of an office worker.... can anyone elaborate here? Should there not be a bigger gap here? Shouldn't there be a great deal more education involved in working in an office? A higher skill set? Are we talking of a clerk typist, or a receptionist or a bookkeeper or a secretary or what? If anyone has any further info, that would be a great help, Thanks..

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that office assitants stuff is from my overview very 'flexibel'.
i know from around myself that they make all the 9 yards from 6K's a month up to 20K's a month.
it depends how urgently a specific small office is looking for such assitant and what skills are required at that moment for that sepcific job.
small companies with just 1-3 people working in a office often pay the higher end of the line, while the bigger companies usually have a long list of people who wanna work there, less different skills needed by everybody b/c the assistants can work on just one or 2 fields without the need to know/have skills about all the work in that big office, so in those bigger offices the wages are in average much lower.
but that's just my observation from within a not very big crowd of people i know here on the east, i don't ask any secretary about her wages, lol.
agree to BlackDog in case of the watchman salary,
those mentioned 10-12K's i would pay as a max per month to the security company to have a warchman around, i don't guess the watchie himself get's near such salary, but just my guess, i don't know. our own guards here are all 3 private employees and do other work aside the guarding of the gate and patroulling during nighttime.
i know the salaries of 2 girls working at the banca near our house, they are friends with my wife, one get's 6K and the other one get's 8K per month. both are not connected with the owner/family or such, they are just employees there.
2 years back up in Veron at a banca a neighbours daughter got 2K every 2 weeks for the same job at a banca.
spermarket down here in cabeza de toro is around the same like in your list,
the cleaning Gal makes 6K a month, the cashier Gal makes 8K a month.
cleaning Gal lives down here and walks to work, no extras included, the cashier Gal comes from outside the barrio and get's the transportation paid separately in addition to the 8K salary.
interesting theme.
let's what else comes in
Mike

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
spermarket down here in cabeza de toro is around the same like in your list,
the cleaning Gal makes 6K a month, the cashier Gal makes 8K a month.
cleaning Gal lives down here and walks to work, no extras included, the cashier Gal comes from outside the barrio and get's the transportation paid separately in addition to the 8K salary.
interesting theme.
let's what else comes in
Mike

I feel sorry for the cleaning lady at that spermarket, only 6K for such a dirty job!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Teachers make 9000 - 20,000 depending on quals.

Our muchacha is a newly qualified teacher, and she is still with us....

Aparently, she would be worse off leaving and having to pay food/board/travel etc.., and we pay her next to nothing really (excepting all her food/room etc..). She's not the world's most adventurous but its just a little sad. She's now the same age as me, been with the family 15 years and what has she to look forward to?

She did the course to move out into the big wide world, and the disparity between wages makes it a tougher choice than it should be...