Temporary use of a Blackberry device

solymatore

Jul 9, 2009
Hello,

I am contemplating visiting the DR for about 3-4 weeks and would like to use my Blackberry while I am there. I know that if I try to use my current Blackberry in the DR I will get charged astronomical roaming charges.

Is there a way to use a Blackberry while in the DR on a temporary basis? Are there any companies in the DR that rent Blackberrys? Or if I get the 8830 Blackberry, would I be able to pop in a SIM card say from Claro Codetel? If so, does anyone know the cost and whether full data services would be available?

Thanks!

Bill

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Try to get a prepaid SIM with data. I don't know if it is possible.

I used my BB when I first moved here. The data roaming charges were enormous...and I didn't use it that much. Like $US600 enormous.

Beware...

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I believe Orange activates BBs. I have been a BB user for 4 years now and I see people with them in Santiago all over the place.

I also have used my US BB while in the DR. I was once there for two weeks and the bill came up to something like USD $1,500. Luckily, my company pays for it :)

solymatore

Jul 9, 2009
Try to get a prepaid SIM with data. I don't know if it is possible.

I used my BB when I first moved here. The data roaming charges were enormous...and I didn't use it that much. Like $US600 enormous.

Beware...

Thanks. I will look into prepaid SIM with data.

solymatore

Jul 9, 2009
I believe Orange activates BBs. I have been a BB user for 4 years now and I see people with them in Santiago all over the place.

I also have used my US BB while in the DR. I was once there for two weeks and the bill came up to something like USD $1,500. Luckily, my company pays for it :)

I will look into Orange. Thanks.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I will look into Orange. Thanks.

Its a lot more complicated than you're making out so far. I'm trying to remember this, but the blackberry is registered to its current provider (if you have a contract in another country), and cannot be used on another network unless its been unlocked, which you can do online or if your home service provider is nice (which they're rarely not cos they want you to use roaming). Then your provider here will need to activate your blackberry internet service with them, checking the old one is no longer active, and billing you for opening the BIS account and for the month.

There's no PAYG Blackberry tariff, and if there was, the providers here will want to sell you the phone to go along with it.

Its too much of a mess and if you need that mobile connection, find another way. Plenty of other phones carry push-email if its necessary.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I wish more and more Blackberries had Wi-Fi, it would make it so much easier just to find some location with free internet usage and do all your emailing or browsing that way, especially if one is travelling abroad. I am going to DR in a few weeks and will only use the BB to make calls and or text, easy enough with a local SIM card from Claro or Orange. :)

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I wish more and more Blackberries had Wi-Fi, it would make it so much easier just to find some location with free internet usage and do all your emailing or browsing that way, especially if one is travelling abroad. I am going to DR in a few weeks and will only use the BB to make calls and or text, easy enough with a local SIM card from Claro or Orange. :)

You need the Blackberry Bold, 3G and WIFI enabled.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I've got the BB World Edition 8830 so this wont be a problem since it is already unlocked and quadband. All i need is a SIM card from Claro or Orange and I will be up and running to make calls and text. RIM really needs to make all their BB's WiFi capable, it would make it so much easier!