Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scotch Bonnet Pepper

Is this pepper available in the DR?

It is similar to the aji here but much hotter and seems to grow larger.

Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

In Mexico and many other places it's called chile habanero. I've tried the habanero they sell in the large supermarkets here, but it is not as hot as the scotch bonnet I've had in Jamaica.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure I have seen those in the supermarkets

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm cooking with them right now! They are HOTTT!! and can lead to profuse sweating, runny nose and hiccups. I'm growing several plants of them in the back yard.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2dlight View Post
    I'm cooking with them right now! They are HOTTT!! and can lead to profuse sweating, runny nose and hiccups. I'm growing several plants of them in the back yard.
    Where are you located? Maybe I can pick up some seeds from you, I would love to grow some!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The habanero and the scotch bonnet are not the same pepper, although they are similar in their "heat level".

TheScarms - Habanero Pepper Facts and Terms
    Hmm, I didn't know! I see the two listed as the same thing all the time. Thanks for the clarification.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alicious View Post
    Where are you located? Maybe I can pick up some seeds from you, I would love to grow some!
    Unfortunately not living in the DR ,yet! You might find this link of some interest..Chilli seeds | Growing your own chilli peppers from seed
    I plan to order some seeds of the hotter peppers from them.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I make my maid put them in the fish soup. She tried the soup and said it 'broke her mouth.' Now I know how to stop her from eating my food.

The last time I 'broke her mouth' was......with my.....chicken wings.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Conchman View Post
    I make my maid put them in the fish soup. She tried the soup and said it 'broke her mouth.' Now I know how to stop her from eating my food.
    Too funny! hahaha
    Dominicans cant handle it.
    I gave a Dominican friend a peppermint gum from Canada and he immediately spit it out complaining that it is too hot. I almost died laughing.
    I told him the way to scare criminals in his country would be to give them hot spicey food LOL. Word would get around quick and scare everyone.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Me being Dominican this is one of the things that I hate about the cuisine here, they love everything salad but nothing spicy. When I eat sushi I would eat the wasabi by bunches while my friends would look at me with their eyes wide open "como dos medio pesos".

One thing that it is really spicy here are "los palitos cervezeros" in any Chimi, or hamburger stand in Santo Domingo or Santiago. In Santo Domingo I personally prefer the one from the KM.9 in the Independencia Avenue, the place is called "Parking Lot". Los palitos cervezeros may not break your mouth, but will get close to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast