Scotch Bonnet Pepper

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
Is this pepper available in the DR?

It is similar to the aji here but much hotter and seems to grow larger.

Thanks

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
In Mexico and many other places it's called chile habanero. I've tried the habanero they sell in the large supermarkets here, but it is not as hot as the scotch bonnet I've had in Jamaica.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
1467284856_f4ae731468.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have seen those in the supermarkets

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I'm cooking with them right now! They are HOTTT!! and can lead to profuse sweating, runny nose and hiccups. I'm growing several plants of them in the back yard.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I'm cooking with them right now! They are HOTTT!! and can lead to profuse sweating, runny nose and hiccups. I'm growing several plants of them in the back yard.

Where are you located? Maybe I can pick up some seeds from you, I would love to grow some!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I make my maid put them in the fish soup. She tried the soup and said it 'broke her mouth.' Now I know how to stop her from eating my food.

The last time I 'broke her mouth' was......with my.....chicken wings.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I make my maid put them in the fish soup. She tried the soup and said it 'broke her mouth.' Now I know how to stop her from eating my food.

Too funny! hahaha
Dominicans cant handle it.
I gave a Dominican friend a peppermint gum from Canada and he immediately spit it out complaining that it is too hot. I almost died laughing.
I told him the way to scare criminals in his country would be to give them hot spicey food LOL. Word would get around quick and scare everyone.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Me being Dominican this is one of the things that I hate about the cuisine here, they love everything salad but nothing spicy. When I eat sushi I would eat the wasabi by bunches while my friends would look at me with their eyes wide open "como dos medio pesos".

One thing that it is really spicy here are "los palitos cervezeros" in any Chimi, or hamburger stand in Santo Domingo or Santiago. In Santo Domingo I personally prefer the one from the KM.9 in the Independencia Avenue, the place is called "Parking Lot". Los palitos cervezeros may not break your mouth, but will get close to it.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
mmmm....I now have a cunning plan. The neighbors of one of the properties I manage keep using the pool. The owners are absent but we keep the pool crystal clear which obviously makes things so inviting. Now, if I could slip enough seeds from the chili peppers into the pool then maybe it would be the last time they would ever use it...lol. I have been tempted to add in a few extra gallons of Acido Muratico...but that leaves a bad burn mark that could be used as evidence....hehe...but chili peppers seeds, theres food for thought...mmm.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband was raised in a rural area in the DR. His family had some workers that worked for the family and they had an outhouse out in one of the farm fields. My husband, who was only about 12 at the time, used the outhouse often when helping pick mangos, plantain, etc. from the farm. He noticed that someone was using the poles that held the outhouse up to "wipe" after doing their business. He was repulsed of course and him and his cousin devised a plan to "out" the offender. They rubbed cut Dominican hot peppers on every pole. The culprit was soon found and was in a lot of discomfort for several days.

I swear to God this is a true story... my husband even took me to the old property to show me the infamous outhouse (his family has long since moved to a more urban area). The story makes me smile every time I think of it.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Hot peppers enrich most meals...

1467284856_f4ae731468.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have seen those in the supermarkets

In stores in Toronto and Montreal these peppers are found either loose or packaged under the title "Jamaican hot peppers".

I cook most of my food with them. I would say 95% of my meals. IMO, it's the essence of good Caribbean cuisine. That's why Dominican food in general does not rank high on my list of foods from the Caribbean mosaic. The taste is too bland once you are used to the richness of hot peppers. I think pepper to taste is nice but it must not be overbearing. In general, these peppers give a meal a good kick and without them in simple words 'falta el picante'.

-Marianopolita.