Living In A Women's Prison

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The new model prisons are nicer than the public schools in many cases, in Puerto Plata and Santiago (Rafey) for example. But still no country clubs. Thx for the article.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
bring back newgate!
why on earth the criminals have better lives than decent poor people?
good article but bad idea. let the prison be prison, not a spa.

?

? bient?t

bring back newgate!
why on earth the criminals have better lives than decent poor people?
good article but bad idea. let the prison be prison, not a spa.

Better lives? You must've been born with a silver foot in your mouth.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am taking about this new prison and american/european prisons in general.
free food, free classes, free tv, free gym, free medical care etc.
wtf is that? and some decent human beings all over the world die from hunger.
i know that prisons in DR are horrible but prison is supposed to be a punishment.

ps silver FOOT?

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
How interesting! I'm pleasantly surprised that restorative justice is gaining ground in a country with such a strong sense of revenge and vigilante justice.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
great and very interesting article.
DV8,
while i say myself that prison has to be punishment and not a vaca at a 4seasons,
i would say the new model prisons will still be not the 1st preference for their inmates if they could choose to be free instead.

treatiing prisoners like humans and cut them off drugs and alcohol and giving thema chance to get educated/learn more in the time behind bars will bring many of them after the sentenced time back to society differently prepared for real life with better chaances that they will go on a good path in real life, than others who serve their time under the punishment of prison gangs, alcohol and drugs always available, nothing in their mind would change, the moment they are back out on the streets they are again criminals, just a matter of time before they get caught again.

Mike

voleibolchica

Mar 31, 2009
i am taking about this new prison and american/european prisons in general.
free food, free classes, free tv, free gym, free medical care etc.
wtf is that? and some decent human beings all over the world die from hunger.
i know that prisons in DR are horrible but prison is supposed to be a punishment.

ps silver FOOT?

Right, continue the cycle, since they've had so many opportunities to better themselves in the past. Sometimes all people need is a little faith and look at a better life. Really, dv8, let your heart melt a little.

And, on a side note, the foot comment was GENIUS.:bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't get me wrong. i am all for education in prison. education and hard work. but this should not be a ride in the park. prison should be WORSE than life outside otherwise you'd have people commit crimes just that they could spend winter in a warm, free shelter (talking cold countries here).

ps i still do not get the foot comment.

?

? bient?t

don't get me wrong. i am all for education in prison. education and hard work. but this should not be a ride in the park. prison should be WORSE than life outside otherwise you'd have people commit crimes just that they could spend winter in a warm, free shelter (talking cold countries here).

D?melo, rubia.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
And, on a side note, the foot comment was GENIUS.:bunny:

Yes it was ;)
Bientot makes genius comments like that all the time...
He is the one poster that keeps me in stiches without fail , I would love to get into his head lol
He could make millions as a comedy writer.
Love it and love him!!!

P.S. Bientot is my boyfriend (in my head) LOL

...anyways....if you treat people like animals in jail, and you plan on releasing them into the public on day...dont be surprised when they commit more horrible crimes when they do get out.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

let's try it this way:
the usual saying may be "born with the silver spoon",
according to your posting about 'free foot' for the imprisioned
he modified accordingly,

and in a great way.

and just IF i am right,
maybe there's something much 'deeper'??
lol
Mike

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the stunning statistic about this prison system is the recidivism rate - which as Ian Worthington noted is very early to tell but globally the stats run more like 60% of the prisoners who are released are back in within two years. In California, it is 72%. In the new model in the DR, in all the new model prisons it is less than 5%. So if that number continues to hold, then truly they are on to something, if for nothing else than the cost. It is stunning to see this model coming out of this country.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the stunning statistic about this prison system is the recidivism rate - which as Ian Worthington noted is very early to tell but globally the stats run more like 60% of the prisoners who are released are back in within two years. In California, it is 72%. In the new model in the DR, in all the new model prisons it is less than 5%. So if that number continues to hold, then truly they are on to something, if for nothing else than the cost. It is stunning to see this model coming out of this country.

yeas,
the stats are impressive,
but due a combination of two factors:
* the above mentioned early stage of the model
* the matter of fact that women in dominican prisons are such a lil minority compared to the males, so there may be also the factor of 'why they been imprisioned', may be for kind of 'crimes' where the returning rate is smaller than on specific other conviction reasons.

i want to see such model to have suxxess over the long term, too.

if i remember right one of the links/stats provided said that 11 out of 36 (not sure on exact number now) prisons are 'redone' to run under the new model.
now i have really no clue about the total number of prisons on the island, male or female visitors.
is that 36 number a total for all islandwide female prisons i guess, right?

are there also available/in process such model prisons for the male prisoners?

i could imagine that for some sort of inmates such model prison may face a bit a tough time to get 'em 'in line'.

and there should of course be a end to the huge privileges of some 'special prisoners' who run from the inside big businesses on the outside, phones and private TV and many 'non usual' amenities available.

interested to look on such and it's progress.
Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and people say spell check makes life easier...
it certainly made mine more miserable today ;)

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Interesting article & am all for prison reform but,,, my first read into it screams a great opportunity for the drug world. (at least here in the DR) The drug folks find desperate foreign females, offer them loads of $$$ for being mules and tell them if by chance they get caught, NO PROBLEM !, you'll serve 4 years of a 8 yr sentence in a country club. It's too easy for a lot of people who have not alot to lose.

Last edited: