Shopping for babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

miozio

May 23, 2009
Went to La Serena in Puerto Plata today and didn't find a good choice of playpens. There are only 4 to choose from. Can anybody recommend a good store in the area? Is Casa Nelson better?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try tienda jimenez on camino real. they have a kids department on the second floor. admittedly my foot has never graced this part of the shop but i was told they have lots of stuff.
failing that there is la sirena or jumbo in santiago.
i would actually recommend going there if only to check out the place. they have a better choice of shops and restaurants, better doctors etc.
how is life in DR?

miozio

May 23, 2009
Thanks for the advice. Its great here, the locals have been nice to us, very friendly. Always in a good mood, even the ones without work who sit outside and enjoy their unemployment! They showed us directions and always greet our baby, the only thing i don't like is when people try to touch her face... The beach near our home is very good and we can see our terrace from there! Tried to drive for 5 minutes after dark and the motos without lights shocked me. But its their freedom, its just different. Noone really bugs me in the street, the only thing was in Santo Domingo when two guys (foreign i guess) kept trying to brush my shoes while i was walking, so they made me kind of skip :) Sosua people offer their services in a nice way. I can tell you where people bug you, its in Morocco and Egipt, thats really bugging when every car honks at my wife and the drivers scream like monkeys! Dominican men respect my wife and don't even look at her!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am glad that you like it here :cheeky:
dominicans love kids so they will always try to touch little miozito. invest in antibacterial wash/wipe for her hands and face. local people are immune to many bacterias or viruses and but your child is not. this is just in case.
take care and best greetings to your family.

miozio

May 23, 2009
We will need the antibacterial wipes for kids, i hope to find them in the stores you recommended, the ones we use are "Huggies classic" Thanks again :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Tried to drive for 5 minutes after dark and the motos without lights shocked me.

Do you now understand why I strongly suggested your first driving experience shouldn't be from Santo Domingo to Sosua in the dark? ;)

Good luck to you, it'll take a while to feel at home but I'm sure you will eventually.

miozio

May 23, 2009
I am used to driving in heavy traffic, so Santo Domingo looked kinda "OK" at daylight, the highway to Sosua was somewhat empty with a great scenery and a few road pitches that kept waking the baby. I read a few posts about dead animals but thank god there was none! Saw cows eating from garbage in the outskirts of SD and kids standing on the main highway! The darkness in Sosua is a different story though :) Dropped the rental car at the airport, bargained the cab price down from 700 to 500 pesos, the driver fastened the seatbelt and drove slowly and carefully, understood my italian, not like the rest :)

I am having a lifetime experience here, my wife does the same way, its so different here, i mean the lifestyle. I am used to beautiful scenary as i lived in Italy for 7 years, DR beats it by far! I still have to find the cultural herritage, go to museums and art galleries. Wow, i love new countries, especially the exotic ones like DR!

Status
Not open for further replies.