Halo around the sun

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Anybody looked at the sun today? There is a huge cloud halo around the sun and it looks fantastic! Carefull with your eyes though folks!
Enjoy!!!!

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Anybody looked at the sun today? There is a huge cloud halo around the sun and it looks fantastic! Carefull with your eyes though folks!
Enjoy!!!!

WOW, I have never seen anything like that, it is beautiful, a circle rainbow around the sun. Blank out the sun when you look and you see nothing but the halo rainbow.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
WOW, I have never seen anything like that, it is beautiful, a circle rainbow around the sun. Blank out the sun when you look and you see nothing but the halo rainbow.

I am sure someone has a better camera but here are some pics looking directly at the sun then also from the shade without the sun

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I took this photo with my cel phone...not the best quality but what the hey!
I hope that you can see it.
2sbpkrr.jpg

aross

Nov 15, 2007
It seems to be disappearing, there is only a semi circle now with some clouds coming in.

The Dominican maids around here are spooked

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Cunning plan...tell your partner that this is it, the end is nigh, the appocalypse has finally arrived....guaranteed you will have the best sex of your life!! lol

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Just kidding

Yeah don't see it down here in Santo Domingo, must be a north coast phenomena, Maybe God is taking some people' advice and has decided to wipe Sosua off the map.

Once again before the cards and letters start pouring in I am only kidding as the title suggests, I love Sosua, was my first Dominican home.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I'm told it's called a sun dog

I saw one while playing golf with Ted in Costambar a few months ago, very pretty but don't stare at it for too long.

Google images has a few nice pictures too....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
34f198o.gif

It's an optical illusion caused by the Martian Spaceship stationary between Earth and the Sun.
As soon as they finish their installation of Interstellatic traffic lights, they will be moving on.
They are sorry for any problems or delays this may have caused.​

Reactions: alicious

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
The halo is caused by the refraction of light passing through ice crystals in the atmosphere. there are two types, a 22 degree halo:
A 22? halo is a rather frequently appearing halo, an optical phenomenon forming a circle 22? around the sun, or occasionally the moon. It forms as sunlight is refracted in hexagonal ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. As the light beam passes through two sides of the prism forming a 60? angle, the angle of minimum deviation is almost 22? (e.g. 21,84? in average; 21,54? for red and 22.37 for blue.) This wavelength-dependent variation in refraction causes the inner edge of the circle to be reddish while the outer edge is bluish.[1] A 22? Halo may be visible on as many as 100 days per year.[2]

Pathway of light through a hexagonal prism in the optimal angle resulting in minimum deviation.Light passing through the hexagonal ice prisms is deflected twice which produces deviation angles ranging from 22? to 50?. Lesser deviation results in a brighter halo along the inner edge of the circle, while greater deviation contribute to the weaker outer part of the halo. As no light is refracted at smaller angles than 22? the sky is darker inside the halo. [3]

A 22? halo is a rather frequently appearing halo, an optical phenomenon forming a circle 22? around the sun, or occasionally the moon. It forms as sunlight is refracted in hexagonal ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. As the light beam passes through two sides of the prism forming a 60? angle, the angle of minimum deviation is almost 22? (e.g. 21,84? in average; 21,54? for red and 22.37 for blue.) This wavelength-dependent variation in refraction causes the inner edge of the circle to be reddish while the outer edge is bluish.[1] A 22? Halo may be visible on as many as 100 days per year.[2]
A 46? halo is a rare and huge halo, together with the smaller 22? halo a circular optical phenomenon centred on the sun. At sun elevations between 15-27?, it is often confused with the more colourful and frequently observed supralateral and infralateral arcs. It is named for crossing the parhelic circle 46? from the sun.

46? halos are similar to but much broader and much fainter than 22? halos. They form when sunlight enters randomly oriented hexagonal ice crystals through a prism face and exits through a hexagonal base.[1] The 90? inclination between the two faces of the crystals causes the colours of the 46? halo to be more widely dispersed than those of the 22? halo. In addition, as a lot of rays are deflected at larger angles than the angle of minimum deviation, the outer edge of the halo is more diffuse.[2]

Hope this helps

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
It's the government wondering why we are having all this Fun!

Notice the Size of the LENS !

Of course there was a full moon recently, which may have altered the perception of logic.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
The Dominican maids around here are spooked

hahahahahaha this doesn't surprise me. Dominicans are soooo supersticious. It's like that around Semana Santa (Holly Week). Reports start coming out about "weird" things happening around the country. I recall bein there for Semana Santa once and people talking about some new born baby that was born with a beard and full set of teeth. When the doctor looked in the baby's eyes the baby supposedly said in manly voice "the world will end in 5 days" hahahahahahahaha. And what is even funnier, my aunt who was telling me the story told it to me as if she was there to witness the event. Kept on saying "ES VERDAD, ES VERDAD" hahahahahaha:cheeky: