Large ring around the Sun

web

Nov 5, 2005
Hey, wassup with the sun today is this some phenomenon I am unaware of? I have seen an eclipse before but never something like this. Oh, make sure you put your dark shades on if you check it out. A huge halo like a rainbow circling the Sun.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
So I went online and found a couple of explanations:

1) Have you ever looked up and noticed that there's a big ring around the Sun? These rings are caused by ice crystals within thin cirrus clouds, and there several different kinds of sun rings you can see depending on the weather conditions. One of the most common ones is called a 22° halo. They get this name because the ring is located 22 degrees away from the Sun itself.

2) As an upper level disturbance approaches or warm front approaches the clouds tend to start off as high clouds. Over time the clouds gradually lower and thicken. Near the source of the greatest synoptic lifting is where precipitation and thick clouds are most likely. The sun or moon will no longer be visible once the clouds thicken too much. The ring around the sun or moon is caused by ice crystals within thin cirrus clouds. The refraction causes light to shine into a ring. Cirrus clouds are generally the first layer of clouds that are seen as a storm system approaches.

Root cause: Cirrus clouds

web

Nov 5, 2005
and to top it off there was a brilliant rainbow in the sky as well this evening....you'll never find a better artist than God

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Photo Retry

I don't think the last link was accessible to all so one final try:

photo.php

?

? bient?t

and to top it off there was a brilliant rainbow in the sky as well this evening....you'll never find a better artist than God

Yeah, the Flying Spaghetti Monster gets around.

Ramen to that.