Do inverters interfer with speed of wi-fi?

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
My internet connection is quite slow, about half of what I'm paying for. When I called tech support, they asked what the buzzing was on my phone line. I couldn't hear any buzzing on my side. Later I thought, maybe it is the inverter.

Can the inverter cause problems with wi-fi? If so, is there some kind of remedy, filter, etc., to fix it? (There is a little filter that has two places to connect, one for the net and one for the phone already.)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Microwaves interfere with wireless.

Dirty AC could as well, I suppose...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It may be the filter...

...I had the same problems, but it never was caused by my inverter. It could be, that the filter is damaged and need to be changed, or they have to "clean up" your port. Just make a call to (is it?) Codetel 809 220 1111, they send a technician to check it.

"Flattened" actually more like knocked out by surprise about such a very helpful source of information.....

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Had a similar problem myself. It was the filter that plugs into the phone line.

To eliminate it, plug your modem directly into the phone socket and do a speed test like this one here http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If you're back up to speed then you'll know you'll need a new filter.

The telephone line has it's own DC power supply, so your inverter will have no effect on it. If you have a cordless phone, you might get buzzing over it from the power supply that powers the phone. To eliminate that one, try plugging in a basic phone that doesn't use a power supply. If you still get buzzing, you will need to call Claro.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
Problem solved

Thanks all. Turns out it wasn't the filter this time, although Tricom had said that was a possibility too. They did something from their office, and it seems to have fixed it. I'm just glad to know that inverters don't do that, because I'd hate to be having them working on a problem that I caused myself.