Cost of living in the Dominican Republic?

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
dear all,

i'm considering to take a job at Santo Domingo.......

i would ask some question about living cost there.....

1. rent a house/apartment per month at Los Alcarrizos area ?
2. eat / day?
3. internet / month?
4. electricity bill / month?

have you ever heard about Dr. Elias Santana Center?

how far Dr. Elias Santana Center to Los Alcarrizos?

can i just walking from Dr. Elias Santana Center to Los Alcarrizos?

thanx you very much...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Whoa there!! Los Alcarrizos is not in Santo Domingo, at least not in the Santo Domingo most of us know and play in. It is one of the northern barrios, made up of businesses, small industrial sites, and low to medium low income housing. NOBODY walks there..

What is the Dr. Elias Santana Center, anyway?? Please look before you leap..

HB

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
i mean The Elias Santana Hospital....... have you ever heard this hospital? is it a good hospital?
how about the living cost?
2. eat / day?
3. internet / month?

thank you

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
how about the living cost?
2. eat / day?
3. internet / month?

thanx

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Los Alcarrizos is a very cheap area. you can rent from 2,000 pesos a room, if you are lucky you can get a decent apartment, but there are not much decent buildings in that area. it is west of santo domingo. 14kms from downtown. It is consider a danger area, but I guess during nighttime (I had been during day time there, and there is lot of people around) just be carefull at night.
that hospital is called Los Gringos, it was build by americans.you wont have any problem been american if you have a peace corps look, because they are used to see many americans working there. they will know you are not a tourist.
food for workers (this is what you gonna find there) goes from 80 to 100 pesos la bandera (rice, beans and meat)
electricity is cheap in that area. most people dont pay it. or pay very little 100 or 200 pesos a month. expect lot of blackouts.
I recommend you to live better in the neigborhood in front los Alcarrizos. It is called Pantojas. and you can find more decent houses. better places to eat, and it is safest.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Oh and the country is called Dominican Republic not The Republic of Dominica (that's a whole different country altogether). Sorry I was trying to let it go, but it just kept pulling me to say something...

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Actually there is no country called the Republic of Dominica....
but since this is a site about the DR we all know what the person was talking about.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK, I fixed the thread title. It's clear the OP is not a native English speaker so no need to snipe.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Centro Cristiano de Servicios Medicos
Medical Mission Exchange - Related Links
Hospital of Hope in Los Alcarrizos
In cooperation with Medical Ministry International (M.M.I.), Careforce US (now Unto Inc.) assisted in the development of this children's surgical hospital on the campus of CCSM Elias Santana Hospital, outside of Santo Domingo. With five surgical rooms, The Hospital of Hope specializes in eye surgery and eye care along with providing extensive orthopedic treatments, infant and child care and treatment. The hospital needs assistance handling the number of patients that come into the facility each day. Doctors, nurses, dentists and other health professionals come from all over the world to volunteer in the community.

Dr. Ong

The Dr. Elias Center is in Los Alcarrizos and you may very well be able to find living accomadations near the hospital. I can't say for sure because I don't know the exact location of the hospital in Los Alcarrizos.

Johnny has given good information. Pontoja is a somewhat nicer area but it is across a divided highway and you will need transportation to get to the hospital.

I would think that there are English speaking staff or volunteers at the hospital who can give you good advice based on experience of reasonable housing possibilities near the hospital.

Basic meals for 80 to 100 pesos or slightly more sounds right.

Internet access can vary from 400 or 500 pesos for dialup to DSL connections from 850 pesos plus 16% tax for the slowest connection to 6000 pesos plus tax for the fastest connection with Codetel, one of the Internet service providers.

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
how fast the connection with price 400-500 pesos? is it for unlimited usage?

do you have an internet connection using mobile phone? how much the price for

unlimited usage?

thanx

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
how fast the connection with price 400-500 pesos? is it for unlimited usage?

do you have an internet connection using mobile phone? how much the price for

unlimited usage?

thanx

The 420 peso plan is called 24X7 and can be used 34 hours a day, 7 days a week. The speed is 56kbps.

Codetel

I don't have a mobile phone internet connection. Maybe someone else can speak to that.

I have a DSL connection that costs me 1,295 pesos plus tax. I also pay 570 per month for the phone service.

Codetel

dr.ong

Jul 14, 2009
which connection is faster? codotel or dsl connection?

by using codotel with 56kbps can i get good quality of voice when i use skype or another voip?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Codetel offers DSL Connections of various velocities. I would not recommend Dial Up with 56kbps, it will drive you mad! I would recommend at least the 384 kbps plan...

Feb 7, 2007
You need DSL (Codetel), minimum 256 kbps, but you can also get 512 kbps, 768 kbps, 1.5 mbps, up to 5mbps. You will need a phone line with Codetel and 12 month contract.

Another option is WiMax (extended WiFi) which is offered by Wind Telecom, OneMax and Tricom. You will need to purchase WiMax equipment and sign at least 12 month contract.

Tricom also has high speed Internet over cable (Telecable Tricom) but i don't think it's available in Los Alcarrizos.

Another option for high speed Internet is using cellular networks -
- Viva Interjet (EVDO connection, 800 kbps, RD$1,800 per month with taxes, unlimited usage)
- Claro Banda Ancha (you get it in Codetel's office, also EVDO connection, 800 kbps, RD$1,900 per month with taxes, unlimited usage).
- OrangeNet (EDGE connection, 256 kbps max, RD$2,000 per month with taxes, unlimited usage).
All cellular plans require at least 12 month contract and purchase of equipment and you have to connect your laptop or PC using USB card.

I do not recommend VOIP with dialup, it will be practically impossible to use.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Get Codotel

You need DSL (Codetel), minimum 256 kbps, but you can also get 512 kbps, 768 kbps, 1.5 mbps, up to 5mbps. You will need a phone line with Codetel and 12 month contract.

Another option is WiMax (extended WiFi) which is offered by Wind Telecom, OneMax and Tricom. You will need to purchase WiMax equipment and sign at least 12 month contract.

Tricom also has high speed Internet over cable (Telecable Tricom) but i don't think it's available in Los Alcarrizos.

Another option for high speed Internet is using cellular networks -
- Viva Interjet (EVDO connection, 800 kbps, RD$1,800 per month with taxes, unlimited usage)
- Claro Banda Ancha (you get it in Codetel's office, also EVDO connection, 800 kbps, RD$1,900 per month with taxes, unlimited usage).
- OrangeNet (EDGE connection, 256 kbps max, RD$2,000 per month with taxes, unlimited usage).
All cellular plans require at least 12 month contract and purchase of equipment and you have to connect your laptop or PC using USB card.

I do not recommend VOIP with dialup, it will be practically impossible to use.

Get the Codotel. I have tried both the Tricom and Wimax. The Wimax never worked and Tricom was usually out. Orange simply dropped area codes in the USA. Codotel/Claro has the best customer service (ok it may be awful but it is the best) and the SKYPE connections are fine.

You can get a moto bike for getting around Arccoriss... But be careful, it is a high crime neighborhood.

Perhaps the people in the hospital will be able to help get you set up?