Spices, where's the best place to buy in Santo Domingo

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
As I have revealed before I enjoy spending time in the kitchen, whipping something up on occasion (helps past the time away). But I have found some difficulties in finding some spices that I need for some of my recipes. Doing a search on this sight; I have seen some who have suggested Nacional Supermarkets. And Playero's which is in Sosua, do they have a branch in Santo Domingo? Are these the best places to go for different seasonings and spices or are there some others.

I have just moved into a new apartment about a week ago and brought a new stove, and want to try out the oven with some different recipes, that I wasn't able to prepare in the past. But can't do it without the proper ingredients.

Yayow

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Nacional and la Cadena have packaged spices. Some places like La Sirena (Super Pola) on Churchill and Carrefour past the Manoguayabo cutoff on the Autopista Duarte have small barrels of spices you package yourself in plastic bags.

Carrefour has the most comprehensive selection I've seen.

I grew up on Heinz ketchup and French's mustard. :laugh:

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Carrefour huh??

Thanks I have tried the others, but I haven't tried Carrefour, so that is good to know, I mean it isn't earth shattering or anything, but it is good to know the best places to find particular things.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I always thought Bravo had a better selection, but it varies between visits at all supermarkets.

For more exotic spices go to the Lebanese Deli in Plaza Paseo de La Churchill on Pastoriza and Churchill, or Asiatico on 27 de Febrero just past the intersection with Privada (going west).

Jan 17, 2009
Carrefour, almost everything you need, including many items I can't even think why would be imported here (like oregano from Peru).