Stealing electricity from neighbour

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Hello everyone.

Need a legal advice.

Here is my situation. I have been renting an apartment here in Sosua from an American woman since Nov. 2007. She is a missionary - God bless her heart! She lives next door, and sometimes she is absent for a few weeks or month, and sometimes she rents her apartment where she lives when she is away. Sometimes her apartment is empty for a few weeks and nobody lives there. Electricity here is quite expensive - 12 - 13 Pesos for 1 kWatt. My monthly bills were between 4500 and 7500 approx. Considering I use electricity pretty much the same all year around except for the hottest months in summer I was somewhat puzzled why my bills differ 2-3 thousand pesos from month to month, but paid them regularly. She is in the States right now and her daugher lives in her apartment at the moment. Two days ago I looked at my electric meter and was shocked to see curent consumption of 1.7 kWatt/hr since there were only a few small things working at that moment (computer, fan, fridge on low cycle). I run into the apartment turned the main breakers off - all of them, went back to the meter - it showed 1.4 kWatt/hr. My landlady aircon in her apt was working and I looked at her meter - it showed only 300 Watts (!) - a very nice aircon, I want to get one like hers! I waited till her aircon goes off and check both meters again. Mine showed only a few Watts this time, and hers - did not change - same 300 Watts. Obvoiusly , she is stealing from me. I went to the oficina and asked them to send a guy from Edenorte to check the wiring. The guy came and found that her aircon was connected to my meter from the street. They disconnected it from me and re-connected to her meter. When I told the landlady about the problem and asked her to reimburse me for paying for her aircon all these months she got furious and told me she was not going to pay me back at all since she did not know it was connected to me, blah blah blah.... "Thou shalt not steal" is what she preached to poor Dominicans here in the DR. Stealing from her tennants is OK. She now tells me that she just fixed her airconditioner and it was broken for many months and she did not use it at all . But I know it is not true because I hear when it goes on and off - it is a few feet away from my window.

Any ideas how I can get my money back from her?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not think there is any chance you will get your money back.
the only thing you can do is check periodically that she has not re-connected with your meter.
she must have been stealing with you all this time because 4.5 - 7.5k pesos a month is a bill for a huge house with few ACs running at night.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Interesting thing though. While her aircon was connected to my meter it worked round the clock. Between the time I noticed the problem and started watching and before the guys from Edenorte came she (her daughter) did not bother to turn the aircon off. Now when it is reconnected back to her meter - it works for a few minutes at a time. Coincidence.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Stealing KWh's

_ she got furious and told me she was not going to pay me back at all since she did not know it was connected to me, blah blah blah.... Stealing from her tennants is OK.
Your lady landlord has very well adapted to this country.
Mark your money off.
At least she may not threaten you as it could be the case with Dominican neighbours.
(There was a thread about this somewhere...)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Have you tried stealing the power back from her? It could earn you street cred, and respect for your "tigueraje". :p

"este gringo es mas tigre que nosotros!"

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
At least she may not threaten you as it could be the case with Dominican neighbours.
(There was a thread about this somewhere...)

Yeah, she thought that I would be scared to loose this crampy place , as she wrote me back this - "MAYBE IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GET OUT." :ermm: Well, is she thinking she can easily find another tennant and keep stealing from him if everyone in the condominium will learn about this case? I doubt so.

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
electric,,

the one thing i cannot understand is that when you turned off your breaker panel in your apartment, then her ac should have gone off at the same time,,,we have had the same problem in past and when we turn off breakers and another apartment complains that something is not working in their unit, you know where the mis wiring is done...

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
the one thing i cannot understand is that when you turned off your breaker panel in your apartment, then her ac should have gone off at the same time,,,we have had the same problem in past and when we turn off breakers and another apartment complains that something is not working in their unit, you know where the mis wiring is done...

I'm not an electrician but throwing your breakers would not have affected her A/C if the connection was after the meter but before the breaker - right? I think it depends on where the illegal connection is made; before or after the breaker.

Gregg

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
I'm not an electrician but throwing your breakers would not have affected her A/C if the connection was after the meter but before the breaker - right? I think it depends on where the illegal connection is made; before or after the breaker.

Gregg

Exactly! She connected it after the meter - the wiring was outside of the house, before the brakers in my apartment. In the USA, where she is from, she would be in jail now for doing this, correct?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Yeah ....but

100% Right!

Yeah but you are not in the U.S. now are you?

Unfortunatly this is a constant and accepted way of doing things down here, she is just ****ed off that you discovered it, and stopped the practice.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
let every body in the condominium know about what happened.
you will never get any money back from her,
but you may save hassles for any future renting customers.
btw,
i don't understand how somebody pays for months a 7K per month for a appartment's electricity bill without A/C or any special stuff connected.
i would have reported to edenorte when receiving the first bill, so they would have been in the position to check your connection for which you pay to them, they would have found out that somebody been connected illegally, no big bill for you and edenortes prob to get their money from the thief or put the bi$$ in jail.
Missionary???
you are kidding me.
Mike

toadilyinsan

Jul 16, 2009
I normally don't reply to post like this but it is funny to me, my idiot cousin just did the same thing in the states, he is looking at jail time at the worst and a big fine plus restitution at the least.
But this case is different, she had no knowledge of the theft so you should have to take it up with the power company, or just move and stiff the landlady.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Guess she was praying he would never find out !!!!! ;) lol

Landlord's Prayer

Our Renter, who art in Sosua,
hallowed be thy name.

Thy meter runs,
thanks for the luz.

Give us this day our daily luz.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we con those who rent from us.

Lead us not into confrontation,
but deliver us from savvy renters.

For thine is your meter, your power and your bill. for ever and ever.

Amen
SantiagoDR

Reactions: ben jammin

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
To the OP,

It would have been great if you kept quiet about the illegal connection.
Have the electric company put the wire to their meter.
Then enjoy it when they got their new bill. ;)

U

Margaret
Color week is here....

SantiagoDR

Reactions: margaret

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
To the OP,

It would have been great if you kept quiet about the illegal connection.
Have the electric company put the wire to their meter.
Then enjoy it when they got their new bill. ;)
:pirate::ninja:

That's what I would have done...