Samsung Juke phone

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Does anyone know if the Samsung Juke cell phone from Verizon will work through a provider in the DR? I have several of these phones in great working order and would like to give them as gifts if possible.

Yes they will work as far as the phone is concerned, just hook them up in Claro or orange and they will put their own sim cards in. You may have to get the phone unblocked, they do it in many small cell phone stores then get it connected, But to answer your question, yes they will work.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am fairly sure the Samsung Juke on Verizon Wireless is a CDMA phone, so Claro would be your carrier of choice unfortunately.

There is no charge to activate it@ Claro, just purchase a Pre-Paid card.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If this is the phone you use in the US with Verizon, I would not recommend having it activated in the DR. It will work all right, but getting it to work again back home after the Dominican "technico" is through with it may be another matter. If you want to use the same phone you use in the US in the DR, you need to get a GSM phone from AT&T or T-Mobile (Rogers in Canada) and just buy a Claro or Orange sim card for it.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If this is the phone you use in the US with Verizon, I would not recommend having it activated in the DR. It will work all right, but getting it to work again back home after the Dominican "technico" is through with it may be another matter. If you want to use the same phone you use in the US in the DR, you need to get a GSM phone from AT&T or T-Mobile (Rogers in Canada) and just buy a Claro or Orange sim card for it.

Not quite correct.

I have a Motorola E815 Dual NAM CDMA Phone.
In NAM1 I have my AllTel Florida number, in NAM2 I have my Claro D.R. number.
I manually switch back-and-forth when I travel.

The only thing you need to worry about with the Dual NAM phones is to make sure the "Technico" puts the D.R. number in NAM2. By force of habit, they like to just put it into NAM1, thus wiping out your U.S. number.

One should take note that this same phone with SPRINT as the provider, would only have NAM1. They program it that way as they want you to use it in roaming and collect big bucks from you.

Just another way to rip-off the non-savvy consumer.

SantiagoDR

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Gift

The phone would be a gift and would stay in the Dominican Republic. It is a diavtivated phone here in the US and unused now.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The phone would be a gift and would stay in the Dominican Republic. It is a diavtivated phone here in the US and unused now.

Used cell phones are cheap here.
The chicas only want the latest and greatest status symbol ones.

My wife's expensive camera cell phone we brought from the States died.
I found a used, exact replacement here for the incredible price of $700 pesos (About $20 U.S.)

SantiagoDR

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Not quite correct.

I have a Motorola E815 Dual NAM CDMA Phone.
In NAM1 I have my AllTel Florida number, in NAM2 I have my Claro D.R. number.
I manually switch back-and-forth when I travel.

The only thing you need to worry about with the Dual NAM phones is to make sure the "Technico" puts the D.R. number in NAM2. By force of habit, they like to just put it into NAM1, thus wiping out your U.S. number.

One should take note that this same phone with SPRINT as the provider, would only have NAM1. They program it that way as they want you to use it in roaming and collect big bucks from you.

Just another way to rip-off the non-savvy consumer.

SantiagoDR

I'm pretty sure Altel is the only CDMA provider in the states still offering dual NAM capabilities, and they are in the process of being absorbed by Verizon. Dual NAM is a holdover from the days when cellphone plans were local or regional, and if you traveled a lot you needed different plans for different places. The old Motorola Startacs had 6 NAMs. Now that almost all wireless service is national, they are only useful for overseas travel, and CDMA service is slowly disapearing worldwide. Now that Claro has installed their GSM system, I'm not sure how much longer they will have it.

Feb 7, 2007
I am fairly sure the Samsung Juke on Verizon Wireless is a CDMA phone, so Claro would be your carrier of choice unfortunately.

Tricom as well. And it would be cheaper. Tricom now has offer of each minute to any network RD$6 + taxes as opposed to Claro's RD$10 + taxes.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'm pretty sure Altel is the only CDMA provider in the states still offering dual NAM capabilities, and they are in the process of being absorbed by Verizon. Dual NAM is a holdover from the days when cellphone plans were local or regional, and if you traveled a lot you needed different plans for different places. The old Motorola Startacs had 6 NAMs. Now that almost all wireless service is national, they are only useful for overseas travel, and CDMA service is slowly disapearing worldwide. Now that Claro has installed their GSM system, I'm not sure how much longer they will have it.

Actually, this is not correct. I just activated a new phone on Verizon Wireless in the US - an LG model. It has dual NAMs and I could (haven't decided if I'll do it) activate it with my DR number as well.

The poster who said that activation in the DR will wipe out the US programming is correct - unless you switch NAMs before handing it over for activation. That is what I did with my previous Verizon Wireless phone and it worked perfectly with both US and DR numbers.