What the Hell bit me? A golf related question..

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I was invited to Santiago golf course yesterday and got VERY bitten almost exclusively around my legs. I'm so used to mosquito bites I'm sure it wasn't them, the bite has a bigger, bloodier entry wound and at one time I actually had steaks of blood running down my legs! I think they look VERY similar to flea bites but I was hoping that they aren't!

I was covered in Off! - That made no difference either and again, this raises my suspicions because I believe that Off! is mainly an anti-mosquito spray.

I've counted nearly 50 bites - that's a rate of almost three per hole!

Before I burn my clothes, I was wondering if Hillbilly, Grahame or anyone else who occassionally plays there might be able to shed some light?

And by the way, before anyone asks, I had quite a successful round (for me) and no I didn't spend several hours thrashing around in the undergrowth trying to find my ball!

Scritch,scritch,scritch.

Perhaps next time I'll wear long trousers and bicycle clips.

Simon

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was invited to Santiago golf course yesterday and got VERY bitten almost exclusively around my legs. I'm so used to mosquito bites I'm sure it wasn't them, the bite has a bigger, bloodier entry wound and at one time I actually had steaks of blood running down my legs! I think they look VERY similar to flea bites but I was hoping that they aren't!

Word of advice: Don't eat the Steaks of Blood.... ;) lol

Perhaps it was those little black triangle shaped "flies", for a lack of a better description, about 3/16 of an inch in size. I know that if I go out into the yard with just flip-flops and no socks I get bit all to hell by them, worse then mosquitoes.

PS: I live on the other side of the highway from the Golf Course..........

SantiagoDR

Last edited:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
thats the thread i was looking for ........I got stuck in cyberland somewhere...it never seems to work when i try links to other threads

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am thinking: maybe those bloody ants?
i have been bitten by ants several times and i could swear they go up your legs in teams and then wait for an order from their superior to bite ALL AT ONCE. hurts like hell. i still have scars on my toes where they bit me during miesopo's grandmother (RIP) funeral.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
By the description sounds like a black fly, they must be somehow related to the ones we have in canada. Same things, they leave the blood dripping, aren't repelled very well by mosquito repelant, annoying as hell.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not a huge fan of DEET, so we tried differing strengths, weaker at first, to see what keeps the satanic mayes away. Found that orange OFF did the trick. Lesser % of DEET didn't work.

Now our golf ritual is 50SPF sunscreen and a few squirts of orange Off. No problema since...