Another water pressure question - This time about pumps...

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
I've had some great answers about my water tank - VERY special thanks to Ringo for the super PM; but now I'm on a roll so I've got another question for all you technical boffins.

We seem to have established that there is a relationship between the size of the pressure tank and the amount of water that might be required all at the same time in the house that it supplies but only to a point, and in my case the tank is probably too big.

Perhaps the more important question is what size of pump should you install to maintain the pressure?

At the moment I have a massive "Red Jacket" 220V pump that I guess could probably lift water from a 300m well. In fact, all it has to do is draw water straight from a cistern located alongside it.

So here's the next question - Is there an optimum size for a pressure pump? I would love to install a tiny $60 Italian 110V pump because it could run from my inverter BUT would it use more or less electricity? My guess is that it would need to run for longer periods, but I wonder is there little difference between the two?

Perhaps the diameter of the pipes restricts the flow to such an extent that either pump can do an equally good job?

Anyone care to comment?

Simon