Chez Arsenio and El Molino recommendations

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Although I am probably preaching to the converted, these are two restaurants where myself and friends have enjoyed dining recently.

Chez Arsenio at Hideaway Beach on the Cabarete side of Sosua is well signed and, although I am not usually a 'burger' fan, I was tempted by the hot and spicy with jalapeno on the lunch menu - I was not disappointed as the content of the meal was delicious and very reasonably priced (IMHO). The quality of service and welcome from Arsenio was also terrific and, for information purposes, he does speak English. I look forward to visiting again, perhaps for dinner.

El Molino at La Cumbre, almost at the top of the mountain travelling from Sabaneta towards Moca, was the chosen lunchtime venue yesterday. Although it was raining a little, the view from the restaurant (both inside and outside) is stunning with Moca in front and Santiago over to the right. The menu is extensive, again there is an English version, with a choice for every taste and budget and the food and service were totally excellent.

Both restaurants are definitely on the top of my revisiting list.

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Arsenio's

Unfortunately, I must have gone to Chez Arsenio's on a bad night - we were the only people in the restaurant and it took over an hour for us to get our meal

The "baked potato" was the size of a golf ball and my friends Patatas Aleman was a "baked potato" obviously left over from some other meal and fried up

Not a very good experience but then "speak as you find" :paranoid:

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We have been to Chez Arsenio 5 or 6 times. All of different nights. However have only eaten there twice (enjoyed the food). However on other nights (like last night) when we got there the place was closed. It seems that they close whenever with no set schedule. Hard to build a clientle that way. So rather then drive out there only to find the place closed we won't bother going anymore.

Bob K

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
We've eaten in both and I agree with the OP, both have always been excellent. I've also had the hot and spicey burger you mentioned and it was one of the best burgers I've had. Both restaurants have great locations/views as well!

Jan 17, 2009
I've eaten at both too. Didn't like much my steak at El Molino. I remember liking my food at Arsenios but I'm having a senior moment, can't recall what it was. I thought Arsenio's service was excellent. It was a rainy night, and it was just my husband and I dining. Wonderful locations for both restaurants.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
We went back to Arsenios on saturday for lunch. I had the spicey burger and it was, without doubt, THE best burger I have ever had and, as Expat says, the service was faultless!!!!!

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
We went to Chez Arsenio last week for their Wednesday night specials that are advertised. One thing that would be helpful for others to know, if you are going with a family including children, is that the specials don't begin until 6:30. We went with a handful of our kids and it was a bit inconvenient not having that info.
We had a mixed experience. The service was terrible. Friendly, but terrible, which is at least step up from most places in Cabarete where it is both terrible and miserable. However, having to wait to submit our orders, we then waited a VERY long time for our food. So long, that our waiter brought our bill. He seemed surprised that we had not yet been served our food :eek:) Some time later it arrived, and I can say everyone definitely enjoyed theirs. We'd ordered 4 of the 5 specials and they were really all very good.