re: cane liquor

M

Michael

Can anyone describe what cane liquor is like, color, taste, how it is distilled? ?Y como lo llama en espa?ol?

T

Tom

If you are referring to pure sugar distilled alcohol, it is the same base used for rum and others made from boiling and capturing the vapor of sugarcane.. It is clear, 195+ proof and used to manufacture other liquors.

As a Jamaican waiter told me "That stuff make your head go away" and he was da.. correct

Tom

M

Michael

Thanks. I know what chicha is like, an alcoholic drink made from corn in the Andes. There are many different sorts of chicha, even in different colors. Some people mix it with beer. It is stronger than beer and a bit sour and usually brown. But from what you and another source tells me, cane liquor or romo is powerful stuff, like grain alcohol. I suppose campesinos a long time ago made varying forms of it, some not as refined or as strong. Does that seem to be a reasonable assumption?

T

Tom

Right, Grain alcohol is just that; derived from grain and the "cane" is made from sugar, basically as pure as you can get outside a lab. To give you a reference, on quart dammed near knocked out myself and four other adult men.

While in college, I worked as a TA in an embryology lab. I often wondered why the 100% pint bottles of alcohol had a tax stamp on it like a liquor bottle, a few friends and I found out why! Wow!. Once you open the bottle of 100%/200 proof, it immediately becomes lesser percentage as alcohol has an affinity for attracting moisture from the air making it "weaker" at 195 proof

Tom

E

ECH, M.D.

Tom, I am surprised at you.....why do you think us mountain boys call it "White Lighting".....believe me...it is for a reason. My grandfather always had a jug and after a swig he would loudly proclaim...."God! that will take the hide and hair right off!"

D

Drake

Ech,
I'm surprised at you advocating an alcoholic beverage that with continued use would make you completely blind!!

E

ECH, M.D.

DRAKE
Read my post. I DID NOT ADVOCATE ANYTHING. I just stated what it was called...."white lighting." And, you are misinformed. Good moonshine is PURE ethyl alcohol and the only reason you go blind (temporarily) is because it can make you "stone blind drunk" (as can enough of any whiskey or alcohol). The stuff I think you are referring to is "Jake-leg whiskey" which is laced with METHYL alcohol (anti-freeze)that DOES cause blindness and neurological dysfunctions. It is NOT pure distilled spirits and is a product of an inexperienced distiller or one who would increase his profits with a bad/dangerous product. That is why it is so important to know WHO made the hooch you are about to drink! As an aside, the sheriff's department in my former Kentucky country used to keep some of the confiscated moonshine on had to "cut" the finger print ink off of client's hands and fingers who had to be fingerprinted. Only stuff that would do it cleanly!